• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Character Designs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
The character design type I really like in illustrative work and even in anime sometimes is what I'd refer to as "sketchy" I like that untidy look from lines not being cleaned up and rough or thick edges. A good example of this art style is pretty much the entire cast of Comic Party. I think in that anime they intended it to have that sketchy look since the anime is about doujinshi creation. As long as doujinshi artwork doesn't have that amateurish look to it, it's often the case that I like the doujin artists rendering of characters better than the original character designer themselves.

Although not the best example that I described above, my most favorite overall character design work (body, face, eyes, scenery) is that of the legendary Kenichi Sonoda so I give a big YESSS!!! to the following quote:
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Kenichi Sonoda is another personal favorite of mine, and is perfect evidence in my eyes of why I want the rounded character designs of the mid to late 80's to make a comeback. C'mon, doesn't anyone else want a Cannon God Exxaxion anime complete with all of Sonoda's Verhoeven-esque sex and violence?

One thing's for sure. no one draws women quite the way Sonoda-sensei does.

LeoKnight25 wrote:
I've very partial to the classic design sense of Kazuo Komatsubara (Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Grendizer, Captain Harlock), Shingo Araki & Michi Himeno (Saint Seiya, Amon Saga, True Savior Legend Fist of the North Star), Kenzo Koizumi (Space Battleship Yamato), Hideyuki Motohashi (Godmars, Goshogun), Yorihisa Uchida (Beast God Liger, Legend of Lyon: Flare, Guy) and of course Toshihiro Hirano (Dangaioh, Hades Project Zeorymer, Iczer One). These have been and always will be my favorite designers. The facial features and overall look of the characters is what got me into anime. The gritty look to the styles and the hair is really cool as well. Especially Araki's designs and animation style...very fluid and almost balletic.

Although most of those shows you listed are not the type that are appealing to me, I'm familiar with and fond of the design used for characters in them. That gritty, classic look is something I've never grown tired of with the more squarish eyes and big, spiky hairstyles. And thank you so much for mentioning Hirano, my favorite director who's also a legendary character designer. Can't forget to mention his dark, mysterious design styles in Vampire Princess Miyu which are also found in those other titles you mentioned.

when it comes to faces though, my favorite illustrative art style in Japan hands down is that of Mr. Satoshi Urishihara. I mostly give credit to his illustrative art because like with some other artists, its adaptation in anime doesn't do it adequate justice. But I do have to admit, the animation direction in Plastic Little was quite beautiful.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote
I like character designs that are unique, not completely unique, but it has to be something I rarely see in anime, like for example, Lucky Star.. I also don't like it when the characters have the same faces with different hair and eye color.

Also, the bodies must be proportionate. I hate seeing women (or preteen girls) with huge breasts or wide hips. I personally like the style of Red Garden, because it has a fresh look, and the characters don't look the same. I also like NANA for the same reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
I really don't have a defined taste...

xxxHOLiC, for example, calls out to me for its use of shading, and strange-yet-artistic way of showing people; long, skinny, but mysterious.

I like Black Cat's style for being an even mix of realistic and manga; there's not a lot of shading, yeah, but the characters look semi-believable (one guy even looks like Bruce Willis in a volume!)

I could go on...put it simply, I like style with a purpose. The designs I don't like, though, are the ones like GT; exagerated, cartoon-style meatheads. No way. Fist of the North Star or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are okay; they base themselves on action movies, and get it right. GT....ugh...no. They took a series that used to be 60% adventure and 40% kung-fu, and turned it into 90% beat-'im-dead and 10% muscle.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Considering what would my types of character designs are my predilection. I consider myself as a KyoAni fan so I'll go on with this.

Head start from Air, Kanon TV2, SHnY/MoHS and Full Metal Panic! which is produced by KyoAni. By the looks of this character designs and by means of being an aesthete, I'd want to fall in love to this character designs for the reason that they are perfectly done and well thought of., Just by looking on their eyes, they are well-done and polished, it's like having a 3 dimensional eye can sanction the viewers. Seifuku or makes also the character design more colorful and merely recognized as a protagonist, and that makes me happy on the animation. Not only by the Character Designs but add up also with music and that makes the character more interesting. All of their seikaku are well done. Thanks to that I have fallen for this Characters.

Well some there are some originalities, not all polished, 3D like eyes can be put through. I.E. Lucky Star and Clannad, not much tinted but there are some interaction that the veiwers might also like some variation/changes. A cute or bishojo fan would actually like this kind of Character Design, example of this is Konata of Lucky Star. Nagisa Furukawa of Clannad, I wonder why they are both small? Compared with the protagonists on the animations above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Code Geass' story and such was done by CLAMP, but the art style is completely unrelated to them.

Just a clarification here: CLAMP had little to nothing to do with the story, but they did the original character designs for Code Geass, but Takahiro Kimura did the character designs for animation, and apparently, he stuck very close to the CLAMP style when doing it. As a result, Code Geass feels a lot more like contemporary CLAMP anime than any of Kimura's original work, especially looking at the faces, and the proportions of the bodies.

Back on topic! Off the top of my head, my favorite character designers are Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Haruhiko Mikimoto, and Yoshitoshi ABe. Mikimoto, because of his iconic work on Macross, and other 80s mecha anime. Really, whenever I think of 1980s anime, it's his style that quickly comes to mind. Sadamoto, on the other hand, represents to me the nice, shiny mid-to-late 90s style that I practically grew up on. ABe I'm not entirely sure why I like: his style just appeals to me for some reason. Another reason why I like these three is because of the style of their illustrations: Mikimoto and Sadamoto have this nice watercolor thing going on, while ABe has this lovely, messy style that I just love.

It's been mentioned in earlier posts, but I agree that variation and proportions are important elements of character design. However, variation not only applies to costumes, and characters within a single series, but also to characters done by the same designer in different series. Make your characters TOO similar to each other, and you'll easily have bad cases of 'recycled bishounen #1' in all of your shows.

But really, I tend to like most character designs thrown my way: I have only a single pet peeve regarding them: excessively fanservice-oriented female designs. I can easily take near-anorexic CLAMP designs. I'd enjoy shows whose character designs are 'attack of the moe clones'. But I simply cannot take incredibly unrealistically proportioned female bodies. While it may be geared towards the male audience, it totally backfires on me. (I'm looking at the overly busty female character designs of Dragonaut here.)
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
(I'm looking at the overly busty female character designs of Dragonaut here.)

Those are the biggest melons I've ever seen. Seriously.

I also like CLAMP designs, especially in xxxHOLiC, even if the proportions are a bit off. At least they look unique and different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manganime00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I love round eyes. I hate it when they make those stupid boxy eyes, or eyes that are seriously small. I love 'em large. Well, except for sometimes on guys or 'cool' girls.
I do like the rounded characters that go into chibi forms, those are awesome. Like in Azumanga Daioh.
But I like more descriptive hair, something that flows and is very detailed.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
(I'm looking at the overly busty female character designs of Dragonaut here.)

Those are the biggest melons I've ever seen. Seriously.

Probably not the largest ever, but without going hentai, I can add Divergence Eve. Wink
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Although not the best example that I described above, my most favorite overall character design work (body, face, eyes, scenery) is that of the legendary Kenichi Sonoda so I give a big YESSS!!! to the following quote:
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Kenichi Sonoda is another personal favorite of mine, and is perfect evidence in my eyes of why I want the rounded character designs of the mid to late 80's to make a comeback. C'mon, doesn't anyone else want a Cannon God Exxaxion anime complete with all of Sonoda's Verhoeven-esque sex and violence?

One thing's for sure. no one draws women quite the way Sonoda-sensei does.

LeoKnight25 wrote:
I've very partial to the classic design sense of Kazuo Komatsubara (Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Grendizer, Captain Harlock), Shingo Araki & Michi Himeno (Saint Seiya, Amon Saga, True Savior Legend Fist of the North Star), Kenzo Koizumi (Space Battleship Yamato), Hideyuki Motohashi (Godmars, Goshogun), Yorihisa Uchida (Beast God Liger, Legend of Lyon: Flare, Guy) and of course Toshihiro Hirano (Dangaioh, Hades Project Zeorymer, Iczer One). These have been and always will be my favorite designers. The facial features and overall look of the characters is what got me into anime. The gritty look to the styles and the hair is really cool as well. Especially Araki's designs and animation style...very fluid and almost balletic.

Although most of those shows you listed are not the type that are appealing to me, I'm familiar with and fond of the design used for characters in them. That gritty, classic look is something I've never grown tired of with the more squarish eyes and big, spiky hairstyles. And thank you so much for mentioning Hirano, my favorite director who's also a legendary character designer. Can't forget to mention his dark, mysterious design styles in Vampire Princess Miyu which are also found in those other titles you mentioned.

when it comes to faces though, my favorite illustrative art style in Japan hands down is that of Mr. Satoshi Urishihara. I mostly give credit to his illustrative art because like with some other artists, its adaptation in anime doesn't do it adequate justice. But I do have to admit, the animation direction in Plastic Little was quite beautiful.

Hey it's no sweat. Everyone has their own tastes. Smile I can't believe I forgot to mention Kenichi Sonoda and Satoshi Urushihara. hehe. Those two geniuses are also some of my favorite illustrators. Plastic Little and Legend of Lemnear are my favorite works by Urushihara and of course, Bubblegum Crisis/Crash, Riding Bean and Gall Force are my favorite works by Sonoda. I love the design style of both artists. Urushihara has the coolest facial designs (especially the way he draws the noses, very neat). His artwork when colored is so gorgeous...most of it looks like cel paintings straight off of an anime production. His female character's endowments are legendary as well! Embarassed Sonoda's designs are really beautiful as well...I have an art book of his that covers all sorts of his works. His illustrations are incredible. There's so much detail in his works and the coloring style looks like either colored pencil or water color. His design sense is very unique and almost unheard of today it seems. It's a shame that these two genius animators/artists aren't doing much today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm most familiar with Satoshi Urushihara's work in the Langrisser game series, and I agree, his work is some of the prettiest designs I've seen. Haven't seen any anime where his character designs are featured, though.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Probably not the largest ever, but without going hentai, I can add Divergence Eve. Wink

If we go into the hentai sizes, well, that'll be like bringing nuclear weapons to a knife fight! Laughing They're still horribly distracting, though.

But seriously, the proportions on the Aphrodite and Diana mecha in the Mazinger series are a lot more 'realistic' than some other anime... And they're ROBOTS who fire missiles from their breasts, for heaven's sake... Anime cry
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote
I love Urushihara's designs as well. I don't know why he doesn't design for anime, his work is quite gorgeous. Some people say that the men he draws look falmboyant and somewhat androgynous, but that's what I like about them. I like characters that look very bishounen-y and bishoujo-y and dress quite well.

My other favorite is Sadamoto Yoshiyuk - Rei, Subaru (.hack//SIGN) and Atoli/Shino (.hack//G.U.) are my favorite designs by him. Another favorite that's growing on me is Eureka Seven's character designer, Kenichi Yoshida -he is very expressive when it comes to the characters' facial expressions and each character in that series looks different, unique and possess a lot of individuality in their design.
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
In general, I don't really care that much what the art looks like as long as it somewhat resembles human anatomy.

But if I had to pick favorites I'd have to say that the character designs for Record of Lodoss Wars are my favorite, they're very detailed, and proportionate (dont always change height during the series). I also like shakugan no shana's, paradise kiss, nana (though the art constantly changes...& FOREHEADS), Miyasaki works.

The only series when I found the art unbearable was when I watched Kanon, they just had the weirdest chins and their eyes were where their cheeks were supposed to be. God, its so ugly!
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
alestal wrote:
The only series when I found the art unbearable was when I watched Kanon, they just had the weirdest chins and their eyes were where their cheeks were supposed to be. God, its so ugly!

Hmm... While I wouldn't call those character designs 'unbearable', I admit that it's a bit off-putting. I think that most of Key's games really have character designs like that... And I count it as one of the reasons why I've mostly avoided anime based on their games... Well, until now, since I'm just about to start marathon viewings of Kanon, and I've also started Clannad.
ecsk0620

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Doing a character design is not an easy tanks. You don't just simply draw a character and use them as the character in animes or games.

Why I know about it? Well, guess what! I am a designer(undergraduate). I normally draw and sketch nearly nine to ten characters of every each assignments., then the team will stick togather and dicuss which one is the best and suitabel one. Sometime my design will get ..... and I have do the design all over again. But luckily, I be ever to get throught it. Smile

Ohh, by the way, my favourite character is "cloud strife". Why? ermmm...I don't know! Laughing Maybe because Final Fantasy VII was my very first game. Thumb up for Tetsuya Nomura!!!!
s2sari

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote
i liked kamichu character design
I also liked lovely complex character design.
I also liked prince of tennis ahha! oh and you can't forget ouran

soul hunter was pretty cool too...

d gray man is cool too

i like bleach too Smile
naruto is just okay...

ooh jigoku shoujo is awesome <3

I would have to say.... the weirdest would be... i forgot what it's called but all the character have HUGE HUUUGE pointy chins and everyone always looks angry... it's about like a chinese damino sorta game? i duno what it's called.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3