• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Drop (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
(You might want to put that in spoiler tags, bellemoi16.)

Frankly, I'm pretty certain no one knows quite why she did that at this point. It's too early in the game.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I was rather surprised that spoiler[ONLY roughly half were murdered, as the whole flashback to Mari surrounded by a raging fire would have made me think it was a more thorough slaughter. Or it would make sense if the murders took place after in an effort to clean up the survivors, but Hagino's actions imply that it may not have been intended to murder the inhabitants. So in other words making Mari the sole survivor, the only one who made it out alive for some unknown reason.]

That's a good point. Honestly, I didn't even think about it that (in regards to the flashback, that is). Perhaps you're right. Time will tell, I suppose.

The impression that I got from what she was explaining was that spoiler[something caused a Tsunami that killed most everyone on the island (large objects plumeting from space would do that) the remainder that weren't killed were the ones discovered murdered (implying some group whether human or alien were trying to cover their tracks). ]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The impression that I got from what she was explaining was that spoiler[something caused a Tsunami that killed most everyone on the island (large objects plumeting from space would do that) the remainder that weren't killed were the ones discovered murdered (implying some group whether human or alien were trying to cover their tracks). ]

That's definately the most sensible reasoning, it's just the subtitles present it as spoiler[the murders occurring first and the tsunami just happening to wipe out everyone who wasn't murdered.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
3 is out now, and now we know what Senkouji drives on the weekends. Razz Cool
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
3 is out now, and now we know what Senkouji drives on the weekends. Razz Cool

That was so funny, how the girls reacted to spoiler[Sugawara-sensei being in the car with Senkouji]. Laughing

As for episode 3 as a whole, it seems that spoiler[Mari did manage to ask Hagino about the whole strangling thing (based upon what I believe was a flashback), but to now avail basically. I'm intrigued to see where the whole thing with the ships Blue and Nobal pans out.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote
I'm smitten by this series, right from the scene with the beatifully animated birds (by Gonzo, presumably) - it reminded me of when I once had an opportunity to be surrounded by a swirling cloud of terns just like Hagino. I wonder if anyone posting here has any familiarity with the manga though? I know that manga spoilers are frowned upon in anime threads, so I'll just say that my attitude to Hagino spoiler[has been somewhat prejudiced by what I know].

One other relevant point is that I think the fansub I watched contained a significant error during the opening sequence with the guy in the shuttle. He's subbed as saying spoiler["Furthermore, they said it would be for peace negotiations, but truthfully they want something similar to unconditional happiness" - I'm no expert in Japanese, but I'm convinced this should actually be "unconditional surrender"]. That alone could maybe shift people's attitude to Hagino and add a degree of poignancy to the unfolding story.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
I believe Gonzo is only doing the CG for this series.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Hence my comment about Gonzo probably being responsible for the birds, which are clearly CG.

As for my point about the translation, I'm even more convinced now that the guy in the opening sequence should be saying spoiler["unconditional surrender" instead of "unconditional happiness". I've listened to the phrase over and over, and I think they're mixing up kofuku - happiness - with koufuku - surrender.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
So did this series get dropped or something? Been a long time since the last episode. I really hope not. I'm getting impatient.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
It also instantly gets plus points for not being a harem series in a season inundated by them!

Tell that to Tsubael, Mari and the 3 Hagino fangirls ;)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Hence my comment about Gonzo probably being responsible for the birds, which are clearly CG.

Ah, so you did. I didn't read that closely enough, sorry.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
So did this series get dropped or something? Been a long time since the last episode. I really hope not. I'm getting impatient.

It's still going afaik, they're just have issues with people, equipment, etc. so things are a bit slow.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Ah, so you did. I didn't read that closely enough, sorry.

No problem Wink
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Ep 4 is now more than a week overdue. The same group is also trying to do Ghost Hound and Kodomo no Jikan, and frankly I think they're spreading themselves a bit thin (especially since they aren't, I believe, the only group doing the latter two).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
They're also the only group doing Blue Drop. Btw it's out.

I'll post my thoughts after seeing ep 4, but I agree with the general consensus so far... lots of potential, well told (so far) and absolutely beautiful sequences. I also love the music but maybe that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 - well, I guess that I can forgive Hagino now...

What with the plot twists, the hinted-at backstories, and the extended character development, I think this is getting better and better. The one thing that surprised me at first though was spoiler[that for a series which so far has had plenty of opportunities for fanservice and carefully avoided them all, they should have such a blatant "tentacle rape" scene. Thinking about it since, even that seems to be as carefully crafted as the rest of it. We have the calm scenes with the three girls in the restaurant, then the guys turn up to confront Akane. The tension rises and as Mari is kidnapped it takes on a distinct sexual element - when she is in the car with the guys, who knows at that point what they intend to do to her. She is then "rescued" by the interceptor, but her fears of sexual violence are now fused with an alien dimension that we see expressed in an apotheosis of "tentacle rape". After this, Hagino frees her and the sexual tension is resolved in an embrace, but still the underlying tension remains in the now-clearer intentions of Hagino's race. I wonder if this is going to turn into a "Romea and Juliet" of sorts?]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, now we know that spoiler[Hagino's ship is responsible for the disaster.] and because of this and her odd "friendship" with Mari she's decided to spoiler[commit treason and protect Mari from her superiors.] I suppose this is going to have some consequences, and her motivations for doing it are very unclear at this point, but oh well. My prediction: spoiler[Mari is going to end up filling the empty position on the bridge after all the foreshadowing they did in episode 3.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5