• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre CEO Eyes Former Geneon Titles for Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see the entire Shana and Fate/Stay Night series re-authored (correctly, this time! I'm still angry at Geneon because of what they did and happily stomp on their grave) and re-released someday. I'm guessing it's not too likely though, but who knows.

Re-releasing Sailor Moon sounds awesome, too. I would prefer the original dub though (even though they changed the voices partway through). The first dubbed episodes were good because the North American BGM is 200x superior to the Japanese BGM (if it's re-dubbed, I'm guessing we'd lose the American BGM). The later dubbed episodes had the Japanese BGM I think, but I liked new Rini's dub voice.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
A Sailor Moon revival? No way! That seems impossible!

But it'd be great!

I'd say that if FUNi can pull off such a coup, their fortunes could benefit from such a union. They have the DragonBall properties for the boys, so it'll make sense to have something for the girls.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I'd like to see the entire Shana and Fate/Stay Night series re-authored (correctly, this time! I'm still angry at Geneon because of what they did and happily stomp on their grave) and re-released someday..

As someone who owns both of the series referenced, I really don't see the huge problem with them. I guess maybe I'm just not ... detail oriented enough? I think you are referring to only the authoring, but I want to say I really liked the voice cast of both series so I hope anything that is done uses the same people if at all possible.

(Keep in mind that I sometimes never actually watch the video on the DVD itself before re-encoding it using x264/mkv, so it's possible I might be accepting lower quality anyhow. I use qp=18 and some -hq3dn settings usually.)
Kanon-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:46 am Reply with quote
It would be really great if Funimation got Sailor Moon as I would really love to have all five seasons on DVD. I would really love it if Funimation rescued Karin, Rozen Maiden, and When They Cry. If they get Karin hopefully they will re-dub it as Odex did a terrible job on the dub. Thankfully, Karin has a really good Japanese audio track. If Rozen Maiden and When They Cry get rescued I hope they keep each titles respective dub cast as I liked the dubs for both of those series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I hope if they get Lupin, they don't use that awful cast from the movies.

Yeah, me too - the dub cast that was in Geneon's releases was better. At the same time, though, I hope they can cut down on the modern references (as humorous as they sometimes are) in the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
This is excelent news. Of course it doesn't mean a thing definitively, but it at least indicates that companies are interested in the possibility and that Funimation at least thinks it would be quite doable to aquire the rights to do so. I expected it would be but that was just guesswork really. Its nice to see someone who actually works in the industry make such an indication.

Omega13 wrote:
angieness wrote:
Please someone grab Fate/Stay Night, I preordered the last volume from several places and no one was able to deliver so I'm stuck

Volume 6 is listed as in stock and immediately available on Amazon.com. Sure, it's pretty much MSRP, but at least it's there.

Also, RACS supposedly still has some of volume 6. (Although they've upped the price.) Its volume 5 I'm having a hell of a time finding. I ordered 5 and 6 from Anime Nation a couple days ago, but haven't heard back. Now they've removed them both from the listing. Doesn't look good.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It would be really great if Funimation got Sailor Moon as I would really love to have all five seasons on DVD. I would really love it if Funimation rescued Karin, Rozen Maiden, and When They Cry. If they get Karin hopefully they will re-dub it as Odex did a terrible job on the dub. Thankfully, Karin has a really good Japanese audio track. If Rozen Maiden and When They Cry get rescued I hope they keep each titles respective dub cast as I liked the dubs for both of those series.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I don't mind Odex's dubs. Besides, they're a new company so...I dunno. I kinda liked the Rozen Maiden dub and I LOVED the Shounen Onmyouji dub! Sorry if I'm being an idiot. I'm hope Rozen Maiden or Shounen Onmyouji is continued! I wanna get all the DVDs! If only I had more MONEY! Oh yeah! Isn't FUNimation supposed to be working on new anime series they licensed like Ouran? Oh! To tell the truth, I have NO anime DVDs by FUNimation. I've been watching their dubs on the Gaia Cinemas and I must say they're great! Sorry if my statement is being stupid right now. I feel like an idiot. I just want Geneon to know that we support them all the way and would hate to see them go down the drain. Oh! Speaking of the Karin dub, I've been hearing on ANN that the dub seems to be improving by every episode. Sorry. I'm not being mean or anything. I'm just saying.
KSweeley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon anime to return to NA? That would make me very happy since me and one of my brothers really like Sailor Moon. It could be awesome if FUNi could successfully negotiate the NA rights to Sailor Moon from Toei and a Sailor Moon revival goes into full swing and it wold be awesome if Toei gives FUNi the NA rights to Sailor Stars.

Another Sailor Moon related item: At TokyoPop's Otakon 2007 panel and this is in the ANN recording of the panel at about the 28 minute mark, a person asks something about the Sailor Moon manga and the TokyoPop rep stated that TokyoPop is currently trying to renegotiate the manga license for Sailor Moon from Toei. This item made it to Sunday's Otakon 2007 PGSM panel then to Genvid.com who made the confirmation discovery in the ANN video, here's the article: http://www.genvid.com/News/TokyoPop-attempting-to-renegotiate-manga-license.html
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
If they are talking about the old DIC chopped dub of Sailor Moon, then they can keep it in the cellar. I'll want nothing to do with it. But if they are talking about getting the whole Sailor Moon franchise uncut and redubbed, meaning all seasons and movies as well, then they get my money. I'm looking at you Lance!
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Sailor Moon? I think I might burst into tears. I hope they get Toei to realize how many want Stars. I also hope they keep the old dubs- and just sell the dvds again.

I think one of the major selling points would be a new, accurate dub with the remastered video from Japan. Just throwing out the old ones onto the market again wouldn't make much sense, since most people who want them already have them. Not to mention, there is no way to include the existing dubs for seasons 1 and 2 on the uncut version. That, and the box sets that were released by ADV are pure crap. So they really do need to go back and do it all over again, with all the extras, specials, revamped video, and new dubs. Or they could just give us season 5, but I'd really love to have the R2 discs with accurate subtitles...
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
KSweeley wrote:
Another Sailor Moon related item: At TokyoPop's Otakon 2007 panel and this is in the ANN recording of the panel at about the 28 minute mark, a person asks something about the Sailor Moon manga and the TokyoPop rep stated that TokyoPop is currently trying to renegotiate the manga license for Sailor Moon from Toei.

TP has been trying to get the license back since the day they lost it, so this wasn't really anything new. Personally, I'd rather it went to Del Ray, who also has mentioned wanting it since it's a good seller. SM is a title they'd all like to have when you get right down to it. Hmmm... now that I think about it, Seven Seas would actually be perfect for the title, and they haven't disappointed me on any fronts yet. I'm going to pull for them, even though I highly doubt they have the pull or the cash. Very Happy
Kanon-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Speaking of the Karin dub, I've been hearing on ANN that the dub seems to be improving by every episode.

I think that I may have come off as a bit harsh in my initial post. I watched the dubbed version of Karin for all three of the volumes released by Geneon and I agree that the dub for Karin was getting better as the series went on. However, I think that they should have done a better job from the start. I really loved the series when I watched it fansubbed and I was really looking forward to seeing it get a good quality dub. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy watching the series dubbed as Karin is one of my favorite anime whichever language I watch it in. I just think that the dub should have been treated better considering how well done the original version was. Here is a quote from the ANN review of volume one: "Overall the dub isn't intolerably bad, but it isn't something that could be recommended even for dedicated dub fans, either." Basically, what I am saying is that Funimation obviously could do an English version far superior to what Odex put out. However, if more of Karin is released whether the English version is done by Funimation or Odex I will buy it regardless and enjoy it. I love Karin that much.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Konomi wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Speaking of the Karin dub, I've been hearing on ANN that the dub seems to be improving by every episode.

I think that I may have come off as a bit harsh in my initial post. I watched the dubbed version of Karin for all three of the volumes released by Geneon and I agree that the dub for Karin was getting better as the series went on. However, I think that they should have done a better job from the start. I really loved the series when I watched it fansubbed and I was really looking forward to seeing it get a good quality dub. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy watching the series dubbed as Karin is one of my favorite anime whichever language I watch it in. I just think that the dub should have been treated better considering how well done the original version was. Here is a quote from the ANN review of volume one: "Overall the dub isn't intolerably bad, but it isn't something that could be recommended even for dedicated dub fans, either." Basically, what I am saying is that Funimation obviously could do an English version far superior to what Odex put out. However, if more of Karin is released whether the English version is done by Funimation or Odex I will buy it regardless and enjoy it. I love Karin that much.

With half the series released, I think this title will have a nasty sticking point on a company not wanting to use Odex but not wanting to completely throw out an entire cast (for better or worse) mid-run. As to Media Blasters (as mentioned on pg.1) they would be more likely to just drop it outright, and that would be worse (if I wanted to read the story I would buy the mangas/novels -- not that I haven't, it simply isn't why I bought a tv.)

Shana OVA+box should just be a label job since it was to come out next month, and then they could do whatever they wanted with season 2, so I'm hopeful that gets rescued. As I type it though, it's more likely they would thinpack season 1 w/ OVA (or simultaneously release thick/thin editions) at this point, since there does not seem to be an abundence of inventory left on this title.

Hellsing Ultimate ... clearly will stick with the same studio no matter who gets it. Anything less, and a fan outcry would only be days 1-3 before the executives was tracked down and shown the error in their ways by a rabid mob.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping that someone would pick up Ep. 4+ of Hellsing Ultimate, and I'm looking at you now, FUNimation. Hopefully if it's picked up by them, they'll stick w. New Gen Pictures for dub continuity.

Sailor Moon being brought up sparked my interest too. I would love to pick up the series from the beginning since I only watched the CN broadcasts and never picked up any of ADV's or Geneon's DVDs.

Black Lagoon, I couldn't care less about. But I do think it'd be cool if a company would finish releasing the series for the fans, there's no excuse considering the fact Ocean Studios has completed work on the 2nd Season.

- Bilis
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Sailor Moon? I think I might burst into tears. I hope they get Toei to realize how many want Stars. I also hope they keep the old dubs- and just sell the dvds again.

I think one of the major selling points would be a new, accurate dub with the remastered video from Japan. Just throwing out the old ones onto the market again wouldn't make much sense, since most people who want them already have them. Not to mention, there is no way to include the existing dubs for seasons 1 and 2 on the uncut version. That, and the box sets that were released by ADV are pure crap. So they really do need to go back and do it all over again, with all the extras, specials, revamped video, and new dubs. Or they could just give us season 5, but I'd really love to have the R2 discs with accurate subtitles...
I don't think the Japanese BGM for the first 2 seasons of Sailor Moon was bad -- it just sounded like crap on ADV's release. IF Funi re-released those two seasons with improved audio/video, I'd be willing to buy them again. Then again knowing Funimation, they'll probably just add more artifacts into the video and release them in widescreen Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes It would also be nice to get episode #67 and the Next Episode previews, which were not included on any of ADV or Geneon's releases of the first 4 seasons.

For Karin though, I would like to see it continued with the Odex cast, just for continuity's sake. After all, it would be much cheaper for Funimation that way, should they choose to release it. Besides, if Bang Zoom and Ocean were a few volumes ahead on their projects when the Geneon shutdown was announced, who's to say that Odex doesn't already have through vol. 4 or 5 of Karin finished?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5