• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horror anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
Anime doesn't do "horror" justice, for me at least.

Sure, there are some series I'd call "creepy", most of which I'd wager hail from around the early 2000s (Boogiepop Phantom in particular, along with other series that possess that murky sort of feel), but I find it really difficult to find any sort of terror-instilling scenario in animated works. Revulsion doesn't really cut it, and the blatant gore in some series is just awkward, or sometimes even hilarious (Here's to you, Blood-C.)

Watch When They Cry. It is terrifying.
Konopan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:

Watch When They Cry. It is terrifying.

Which one? Higurashi left plenty to be desired, and Umineko was just a terrible adaptation through and through.
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Obviously we have different ideas regarding terror. Try going
to tv tropes high-octane nightmare fuel page for higurashi. I dare
you.
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
Obviously we have different views when it comes to terror

I'll admit I'm a bit more of a Lovecraft guy than anything else.
anime racket wrote:
Try going to tv tropes high-octane nightmare fuel page for higurashi. I dare
you.

Oh my, a bunch of spoilers I got splattered in my face years ago, posted by what I would guess, by manner of text, are a number of the sort of squeamish teenage girls who've helped reduce "horror" to meaning anything with some manner of dismemberment or other (hopefully) nausea-inducing gore and only the slightest semblance of suspense. Dear me, how absurdly frightening. I almost peed.
Now, see, if Higurashi didn't just come off as "a bunch of kids kill other kids because they are just SO CURAAZZYY while the nefarious adults are doing... jack squat" ninety percent of the time, I might have found it a bit more immersive. Maybe if the animation, and even at times art, weren't so piss poor, as well, but that's a minor gripe in comparison.
Hawkn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
I honestly haven't seen many horror anime, but I liked Monster. The story was interesting, and it could be suspenseful at times. However, it kind of dragged on too long IMO.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
Oh my, a bunch of spoilers I got splattered in my face years ago, posted by what I would guess, by manner of text, are a number of the sort of squeamish teenage girls who've helped reduce "horror" to meaning anything with some manner of dismemberment or other (hopefully) nausea-inducing gore and only the slightest semblance of suspense. Dear me, how absurdly frightening. I almost peed.

And yet, why do I get the feeling that if you were younger and the first horror series you watched was Higurashi you'd be having nightmares for a week?

Easy to be a tough guy when you are already desensitised.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
Mononoke. Very artistic, cool and can also be kind of creepy at times. It'll keep the viewer interested not by just stories, but also creative screenplay and use of sounds. Higurashi wasn't bad either, but kind of in-your-face style anime that I'm not that fond of. Plus the second season kind of spoiled it. It still managed to build up a lot of suspense in ach arc, I think.
hipnox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
Higurashi .....but only the first season. Its not that the second isn't brutal or anything, but it's got a lot more of explanation and plot development than the first, which is pretty much a slaughter fest.

but as far as "horror" goes, anime is not really the medium to go IMO, as Higurashi and some other honorable mentions are just borderline scary at most.

I'd Take videogame over any other medium for mi horror dose anyways.
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And yet, why do I get the feeling that if you were younger and the first horror series you watched was Higurashi you'd be having nightmares for a week?

Higurashi was one of the first few anime I watched subtitled (and of course, by those means, probably the first "horror" anime I've seen), way back when I was still a wee teenager in the middle of his high school years.

Even then, with the 'suspense' being completely lifted every few episodes (YOU/YOUR FRIENDS HAVE DIED. CONTINUE?) without any concrete in-show explanation until the second season, the series was incredibly difficult to take seriously by the third arc.

It's not a completely terrible show, but it sure wasn't fear-inspiring. Hell, I remember laughing about it.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Magnetic Rose is a good horror anime. It isn't very scary, but it is creepy and the story that goes with it is great. It is about 4 men who are debris collectors in space. When they receive a distress signal, they go to help, even though the transmission consists of hauntingly eerie opera music and is coming from a magnetic field known as a spaceship graveyard.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Well as long as we dug this thread out of the dustbin of history, we might as well add a current recommendation: Another.

There might be some flaws and plot holes in the show, but I can't recall seeing an in-theater horror feature that produces as much creep as Another does.
Zump

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Wicked City: Surprisingly well-animated and smartly directed horror movie by Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, X: The TV Series). Despite being made in 1987, it looks and sounds great. It gained notoriety when it was brought over to the U.S. in the early 90's by Streamline Pictures. It even has what is arguably one of the late Carl Macek's best dubs. Just be warned that it is erotic horror, meaning it uses sexual imagery to induce fear. It features at least three rape scenes.

Vampire Hunter D: The 1985 classic may look dated, but it boasts plenty of creativity, as one should expect from any of Hideyuki Kikuchi's stories. This anime has some great action scenes and some pretty good violvence. The soundtrack is among the creepiest to be found in any anime.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust: Directed by the afore-mentioned Yoshiaki Kawajiri, this film is arguably superior the 1985 Vampire Hunter D OVA. Although it's more of an action/adventure movie than a horror movie, there are plenty of horror elements and creative monster designs. The animation is some of the best to come out of Madhouse, and the side characters are really entertaining too. The R1 DVD is dub only, but it's a pretty good dub.

Devilman OVA: A well-animated adaptation of Go Nagai's classic manga. This OVA more or less adapts the first three volumes (with the latter two being fused into one episode). It features some of the most creative monster designs I've seen in an anime, and there is plenty of gore to go around. It also has a creepy soundtrack by Kenji Kawai (Ghost in the Shell). The only problem is that Manga Entertainment's DVD release is of poor quality, out of print, and dub-only. The dub is the standard Manga UK "fill it with as many four letter F-words as you can" fare, and the voice-acting is pretty terrible. The only legal way to get a DVD with the Japanese track on it is to import a R2 DVD.

3x3 Eyes: This anime blends Indiana Jones-style action and adventure with horror. The anime follows the adventures of young Yakumo Fuji and his quest to help an immortal three-eyed girl named Pai become human through the use of a legendary statuette. Along the way, he battles monsters and demons of all shapes and sizes. The monster designs are really cool, and the anime has a lot of violence and gore. There are two OVAs: the first was made in the early 90's, and the second was made in the mid-90's. Both were released on a DVD set by Pioneer/Geneon. There was a pretty decent dub by Streamline Pictures, but sadly it's not on the DVD.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
...but I can't recall seeing an in-theater horror feature that produces as much creep as Another does.

But it lays the creepiness factor on so thickly it doesn't really work and just becomes sort of annoying after a while. At least for me. I mean, when the scary music and tone is on all the time it starts to lose its impact, you know?
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
Another is a good concept, but its producers underestimate the power of silence and its ability to carry anxiety. A scene in which a scare is about to happen is delivered better with no accompanying soundtrack because a soundtrack is inevitably going to build into a small crescendo right when the moment happens, or, if not, it sets the mood and by extension, the viewer is eased into the moment. With silence, the viewer is forced to anticipate such, but is nonetheless unable to truly determine exactly when the critical moment will come to pass, or to find a comfortable position within themselves while the scene is playing.

Also, I am sceptical on whether or not an anime whose characters are drawn so moe and using such vibrant and contrasting colours for hair, eyes, and clothing can really carry that kind of atmosphere to its full extent. I feel as if an art style closer to realism or noir, such as that seen in a show like Ergo Proxy or The Big O, respectively, would serve better. But then, perhaps, in its own way, it manages it simply by being a disturbing bastardisation of "kawaii" when things do go south for such characters. Higurashi and, to an extent, Elfen Lied seemed to do this, though the latter was less about scares and more about visceral psychological drama.

I should note that I have not seen any of Another yet, though I plan to. These are just my preliminary musings.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Another is a good concept, but its producers underestimate the power of silence and its ability to carry anxiety. A scene in which a scare is about to happen is delivered better with no accompanying soundtrack because a soundtrack is inevitably going to build into a small crescendo right when the moment happens, or, if not, it sets the mood and by extension, the viewer is eased into the moment. With silence, the viewer is forced to anticipate such, but is nonetheless unable to truly determine exactly when the critical moment will come to pass, or to find a comfortable position within themselves while the scene is playing.

Actually, I haven't found the soundtrack to be imposing in the slightest, or detrimental in creating atmosphere and tension. Normally I'd agree with you since I'm an advocate of 'less is more' when it comes to horror, but I think the soundtrack is pretty apt in the majority of scenes. It's not overstated, and that's the most important aspect for me.

Gatherum wrote:
Also, I am sceptical on whether or not an anime whose characters are drawn so moe and using such vibrant and contrasting colours for hair, eyes, and clothing can really carry that kind of atmosphere to its full extent. I feel as if an art style closer to realism or noir, such as that seen in a show like Ergo Proxy or The Big O, respectively, would serve better.

Again, I see what you're saying and usually I'd agree, but again, I don't believe the character designs in Another harm the show in any way. I'm not sure which characters you're referring to when you mention vibrant colours for hair, eyes and clothing. We have one redhead and a couple of rusty blondes, but certainly nothing as vivid as blues or greens or pinks (hello Higurashi). One guy wears terribly garish shirts but that fits his character perfectly. As for eyes, despite being drawn in a typical anime 'style', there are no crazy colours. Once again, nothing is overstated.

I'd be interested in hearing your views after watching a few episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6