• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mononoke.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
You may be able to find a Japanese release (I know nothing about the R2 market, but I doubt there is a legal subbed version of it there), but it has not been released in America yet (very very sad). I'm sure most, if not all, have watched it fansubbed on this thread, and we're patiently waiting for some US company to license this (instabuy from many of us, I'm sure).
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Anyone whose even vaguely on the fence about watching this can spend just $7 at RightStuf for the Bakeneko ("Goblin Cat") release. It's the best $7 you can spend on anime.

While I loved Mononoke, in some ways I've always found Bakeneko more compelling. Perhaps it's because I watched it first, but also I think it's the deep emotional power of that series. The modernization of the story in the Mononoke series seemed a bit off to me somehow in comparison.

Of the Mononoke stories themselves, the first arc seems closest to the feelings evoked by Bakeneko.

Unlike others here, my favorite shows often tend to remain unlicensed, so I'm not surprised that Mononoke remains unavailable in R1. The fact that RightStuf has to sell off the Bakeneko inventory at $7 each suggests the market for this show here is pretty limited.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I know nothing about the R2 market, but I doubt there is a legal subbed version of it there

Yeah, no English subs on either of the two DVD releases. Wasn't able to afford the singles at the time they came out, so I bought the box set that was released last week. Really sleek with gorgeous art, and a nice accompanying booklet (and bookmark!). I've practically given up hope of Mononoke being licensed in North America, really.

yuna49 wrote:
While I loved Mononoke, in some ways I've always found Bakeneko more compelling. Perhaps it's because I watched it first, but also I think it's the deep emotional power of that series. The modernization of the story in the Mononoke series seemed a bit off to me somehow in comparison.

I agree in some respects -- the Bakeneko arc of Ayakashi still has one of the most touching climaxes I've seen in anime -- but I feel as that the first three arcs of Mononoke have a similar emotional impact.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
[...] I bought the box set that was released last week. Really sleek with gorgeous art, and a nice accompanying booklet (and bookmark!).

You mean this set? Wow. Shocked That's expensive. But it's definitely very, very nice. If only it had subs (or if I were able to understand Japanese) and I had a region free DVD player, I'd probably buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I must say, Mononoke gave me some really creepy dreams. Loved every second of it, but I certainly do not recommend it for watching when youre ill and sit in bed with a high fever- I certainly wont repeat the same mistake again. A bit different, it took me a bit to get into it. I appreciated little bits of humour in it.

I have not seen Ayakashi, I am quite curious about the Bakeneko arch now when I have read about it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
You mean this set? Wow. Shocked That's expensive.

Now there's a Blu-ray release of Mononoke plus the "Bakeneko" arc from Ayakashi. I might consider spending the $200 or so for this if it came with English subtitles. Sadly, there are none that I can see. If there were an R1 licensor, I can understand protecting them by not releasing it with subs, but only the original Bakeneko arc is available in R1, and last I looked, they had just a couple hundred left in stock at RightStuf.

Look at those sales rankings at Amazon, too. The other releases are in the top-50 by DVD sales.

Last edited by yuna49 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
In the story that ends on the episode six -- about the woman who was possessed by a mononoke -- the apothecary kills her/mononoke, even though it was not necessary if the "pair" was already peaceful and happy.

Why?

Just because this particular exorcist has compulsion to expel all kinds of spirits in each in every case no matter what?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5