• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2007-11-28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brians9824

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
I can relate to this. Our anime club at school hosts a relatively large convention called Yasumicon and like every gameroom you get that gamer funk. This year was more tolerable because we snagged a bigger room but the year before the AC broke in the gameroom....

It wasn't pretty.

Anyways great work with the comic, I was thinking it would be pretty cool if ANN did a poll with different potential themes for a comic nominated by users and the winning theme had a comic done on it. Just an idea I had that I thought would be nice.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
I smell an element of truth to this latest ANNina.

Next year Lydia go to Expo's game room at about 3-4pm in the afternoon on Saturday. Breath through your mouth and once in the room take a nice deep whif. See if you can make it to the door before passing out. Wink

So you can taste it Shocked

It's not the passing out...it's the uncontrollable vomiting. I have the world's weakest stomach - especially concerning smells.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I smell an element of truth to this latest ANNina.

There's truth in every single one of them. Wink

This one just happened to hit the nail on the head, and as usual it has a hilarious quote from Nina. I'm glad to see Myoopi back in all of its adorableness (and it even left us with a small gift)! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

It's not the passing out...it's the uncontrollable vomiting. I have the world's weakest stomach - especially concerning smells.

The sad fact is this stereotype is proved right at almost every single con. Now when you have that many electrical devices of that size in one room plus all the people you cannot possibly eliminate all odor and funk. Febreze the room all you like it won't stop it. The keys are proper air flow and the most important proper hygiene. A lot of people get offended when that's mentioned as they think it's rude to have staff members tell someone to please go freshen up because they are more odiferous. I would see it as more rude to not say anything and let that person make themselves look bad by their odor. Sadly many con goers don't practice proper hygiene. Combine that with an enclosed space, and a higher room temp and man you get some noxious smells. One year at Otakon this one area of the game room near the DDR machine (or whatever similar game it was) smelled like a combination of a wet, moldy jock strap and a 3 month old spicy burrito. Anime dazed
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Did anyone else notice the candy in block #4?

I find subtle things like that hilarious for some reason. Razz

LOL, I noticed the candy too, and giggled. I love Myoopi.

And yes... fanboy funk is a notorious con hazard. The hentai room at the con I go to is especially notorious, with the smell oozing out into the hallways. The gaming room has improved since they moved it into one of the ballrooms instead of a tiny room after everyone complained.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
And yes... fanboy funk is a notorious con hazard. The hentai room at the con I go to is especially notorious, with the smell oozing out into the hallways.
I'm not even going to ask what exactly is causing the odor in that case. I don't think I want to know.

I liked this one, but the "Con stench" is such a big meme that it wasn't as funny as Myoopi leaving us a special gift. (Wow, Nina is way too trusting just leaving him outside. Hmm, maybe Myoopi has defensive abilities like a pokémon?)
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Hrm... it isn't that bad. Been to gaming rooms in all the anime conventions and they aren't that bad compared to E3. Anyways, what I find interesting is that in anime conventions there are game rooms, but in gaming conventions there isn't an anime room unless a specific company does one for sponsors of a game, etc.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NezuChiza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Bah, she definately IS a noob. Doesn't know that that smell is the scent of COMPETITION. It makes you MANLY.

And ill till you get used to it, I admit.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
NezuChiza wrote:
Bah, she definately IS a noob. Doesn't know that that smell is the scent of COMPETITION. It makes you MANLY.

And ill till you get used to it, I admit.

It makes you manly eh? Isn't that a bad thing if you're a girl? I wouldn't want my girl to suddenly get manly and grow chest hair. No thank you. Anime exclamation
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
RoseWhip wrote:
That was pretty funny, especially liked the Darth Vader man boobs Shocked

Actually, I think that as Paula, the artist alley prop maker.

Ai no Kareshi wrote:

Did anyone else notice the candy in block #4?

Didn't notice it till you pointed it out. And yeah, I thought it was a great little gag.
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
Anyways, what I find interesting is that in anime conventions there are game rooms, but in gaming conventions there isn't an anime room unless a specific company does one for sponsors of a game, etc.

Depends on the con you go to. Gen Con Indy has a large and increasing anime presence. Of course, Gen Con is its own thing, so I guess it's a bad example. Wink

*tries to remember if PAX had anime rooms*
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Jonasan wrote:
These are getting better and better. What Nina says to herself in panel 5 almost made me fall off my chair. Laughing

They do get better overtime. Keep up the good work. This was true lulz.
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
ewwww, I'm so happy that the video game room at AE is never that bad, usually only a slight hint of stench.

Yay for random candy on the ground!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
These keep getting funnier. Though panel five cuold have done without the "noob" comment. I know exaclty how Nina feels. Everytime I walk into a videogame room at a con it's always the hottest, smellist, most disgusting room at the con. Doesn't anybody use deodorant anymore? Poor Nina.

The fact that Kevin was wearing a gas mask when he said "Noob" is funny because he isn't saying Noob because of the video game con, but as a way to say "Why would you go in there unprepared?!"
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
RoseWhip wrote:
That was pretty funny, especially liked the Darth Vader man boobs Shocked

Actually, I think that as Paula, the artist alley prop maker.

I actually thought the same thing. She must have somehow recovered from her last terrifying experience. Returning characters are just popping up left and right! Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3