• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New February ADV Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Last night, I finally checked out my Newtype preview disc with Magikano and The Wallflower on it. Magikano is on my To-Buy list now. It's so insane, it's good. Hearing sweet Jessice Boone doing the voice for Ayumi Mamiya is just fun. It's kind of like her Inarba voice from Valkyrie, only less restrained. The Wallflower, I may get somewhere down the road, but it's go too many bishounen fanservice for my tastes.

Also on the preview disc was a trailer for Sgt. Frog, with bits of the English dub, so ADV's got to be doing something on the show.

Kanon went on my list long ago, right after I saw AIR. Maybe before then. (And I didn't even have to watch the fansubs.)

With the last disc of Kurau coming out, I need to pick up the series. I'm holding off on NHK and Pumpkin Scissors for now and plan to pick up Devil May Cry. I like the games so I'll probably like the series okay. (It's not like Uwe Boll was involved! Or would the Japanese version be Yue Bollu? Wink )

@ Zalis116: Yeah, Geneon was a great company and licensed some wonderful shows, but they suffered from two critical flaws. Their marketing was bad and their price-points were too high in comparison to everyone else. Add in a few massive money losers and I guess I should just be happy they lasted as long as they did.

Maybe ADV will eat some of their corpse and release a few of their more comedy oriented or moe-ish series. ADV seems to be doing a lot of those lately. (Which is happy time for me.)
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll be the first to say I can't wait for Moonlight Mile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I'll be the first to say I can't wait for Moonlight Mile.

Same here , I loved the realism of "Planetes" and "Moonlight Mile" looks like it'll be just as good in that respects.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Where exactly did you see the cover? Looked all over AOD and couldn't find it.

http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/26580/

Although I am not 100% sure if this is finalized. I certainly hope it's not.

Edit: I just read through the thread and an industry rep said that was not the cover. They will be using the original R2 Covers. Smile
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Janice Williams wrote:
Actually, this is an early design and not the final cover art for Volume 1. The final cover art uses the R2 cover with Simon on it.

Man i hope they use this one :
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lL0eqFvgL._SS500_.jpg
edit : what i actually really want it the awesome artbox that came for the R2
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/00/37/ANSB-2772_ADD.jpg
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
This is nice but still no news on Sergent Frog?

My thoughts exactly. ADV has been sitting on that one for a while now.
No news is fine by me. Lack of news means I can still hope that everything is just fine. When you get the news, that's when you actually find out whether you're using this emoticon Very Happy or this one Crying or Very sad .

I remember reading a while back that they wanted to get it on TV, so maybe they're still trying to negotiate something? (Hmm, it would work well on Sci-Fi.)

ADV has solicited it again as a 39.98, multidisc set for January 2008 in last months Diamond Previews, but it looks like that's not popped up on preorder sites yet. Not really sure what's going on with that..... but it looks like work is continuing on the show, and we'll see it sometime in 2008.

Releasing such a long show takes a lot of planning, to ensure it's feasible to release, and available in a fashion that'll please fans, while also making a profit.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's possible they fixed it for the DVD release, though -- apparently that was one of those "Animation's not done, but it's still gotta air" timecrunch situations.

If you check CD Japan, several of the listings mention re-edited episodes, so it's a good chance that ADV has gotten the "director's cut" given that's usually what happens.

It'd be nice to see the R2 artbox art used somewhere.... I imagine ADV will use the preview art for Vol.1 seen on AoDVD somewhere [Venus Verus Virus's looks to have popped up on it's artbox]
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote
It wasn't a case of a low-budget episode, they'd actually gotten in a separate guest art director to do the episode. But after the backlash over the change in style (and the whole 2chan/serious business thing) they scrapped the plan to have other guest directors do other episodes, and kept with the same art style. The episode wasn't 'fixed' in the R2J release, so I doubt it'll be 'fixed' in the R1 release.

Also, I'm definitely looking forward to Project Blue Earth SOS. Hypersonic lightning-shooting jet fighters + reel-to-reel tape recorders = retro-future awesome.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Edit: I just read through the thread and an industry rep said that was not the cover. They will be using the original R2 Covers. Smile

Ah, I was going to say that didn't look like vol. 1 cover art judging by who's actually on the cover. More than likely that'll be used as a poster, either in stores or as a con freebie.

Nice to hear they're using the R2 DVDs, but with nine or 10 R2 releases and around seven R1 releases I have to wonder if we'll see some reversible covers so we don't miss out on any.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
kayjay wrote:
If they use a 4 episode count per disk for TTGL,that'll of course mean that volume 1 will end with the now infamous episode 4 (the very one that forced a couple of Gainax high-ups to resign).
What a way to finish a dvd on a bum note.
It's possible they fixed it for the DVD release, though -- apparently that was one of those "Animation's not done, but it's still gotta air" timecrunch situations.

The way episode 4 looks was completely intentional, and it was not changed for the dvds.
Lord Dolmus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Don't you mean Keroro Gunsō the totally non-kiddish action/drama?
holy`bell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dolmus wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Keroro Gunsō = Sergent Frog.... . .. . . .
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
holy`bell wrote:
Lord Dolmus wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Keroro Gunsō = Sergent Frog.... . .. . . .

Elitists are so fun, aren't they?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Even if that's not the cover, I'd be horrified if that's the final version of the logo. It looks absolutely wretched, especially when there's already a much superior English logo already:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Gurren-english.png
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The listing has GL as 100 minutes. Although that might change, it looks like we'll be getting 4 episodes on the first disc, and possibly 7 discs total. That box art isn't that bad, but it looks like it's not final, so who knows. What I'm really hoping they do a good job for is the artbox.

Seif wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Speaking of Gurren-Lagann, perhaps I should give it another chance once it starts coming out in English. I do prefer dubs after all. I dropped the series after watching the "next episode preview" at the end of episode seven. Anime cry

WHAT?! You get back onto youtube and watch that shit right now. Episode 8 is amazing!

What a waste of such a good looking series. I can't understand how anyone would be content watching a series on Youtube. The only times I've ever resorted to that is when I'm watching a series on TV and then happen to miss an episode. But otherwise, I would never do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4