• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass to Air on America's Adult Swim in Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calawain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Well the first handful of episodes have a lot of "evil white man" speech and vibes and that they destroyed poor Nippon. I doubt they will change anything about it in that regard. The rest of the episodes don't have the same issue. As for the ads I doubt they will edit it out, but maybe they will get some cash from Pizza Hut, that may have been in the original contract written when they produced the show. They probably put in a clause saying that the advertisements stay in any version licensed.
W-General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Nationalism is just a distraction from the deal about the show: it's a revenge drama with lots of strategic maneuvering and mind games. The fact that Lelouch is a Britannian (spoiler[Britannian prince]) takes away any controversy for nationalism. If it's a bunch of Japanese people shouting "Nippon Banzai" then it'd look a little dodgy, but it's Lelouch controlling them, then I don't see what's wrong with it...

Don't read too much into it.

With that being said, I am quite interested to see if they do anything together with Pizza Hut. I hope so!
Lemwon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Very Happy

I usually don't like mecha anime, but I'm willing to give this a try as it's been so popular (by the way, I've never seen it.)

Good job, [as]! Keep this up!
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm frankly not surprised, I personally cannot stand subbed anime, I'll watch it if i'm forced to at my anime club but I just cant watch something not in my original language.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear Bandai has licensed the Code Geass manga series as well, continuing to expand their manga line.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I have heard so much about this title and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Plus, it will have some of my favorite American VAs working on it so that will be great as well!

Looking forward to seeing it. And I don't care if CN or [as] give it a lousy timeslot or not - I'll be taping it! Very Happy
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
well that dashes any chances of Gurren Lagann. after Eureka Seven, there's no way they will put two mecha shows on the same block.

anyways... i'm really interested in seeing how all the nationalism in show is taken by america, also what are they gonna do about all the ads? does the same Pizza Hut deal carry over to Bandai USA. the other problem is the cast. i know Johnny Yong Bosch is THE guy now, but as Lelouche? come on!

i'm calling it now: the next anime adult swim announces will be Darker Than Black.

I see you like to hope big, and big dreams fall hard, my friend... let's see... Gurren Lagann was licensed by... ADV. Darker THAN Black was licensed by... ADV. The only show that's been on [adultswim] from ADV was... Evangelion. And it bombed in the ratings, while ADV and [as] already had a feeble relationship. I highly doubt anything from ADV will be getting on a channel other than AnimeNetwork any time soon...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

Darker THAN Black was licensed by... ADV.

That's licensed by FUNimation which gives Darker than Black a higher chance of getting on Adult Swim.
MH Knights

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Is this the show with the spoiler[pink haired girl that goes on a shooting rampage? I see the meme posted on 4Chan now and then with her and the message "Who's the Lacus (sp?) clone now?"]

[Please use spoilers in the future, if it's an anime you're not sure about then do so anyways to play it safe. - Keonyn]
saorren

Hotaruzuki wrote:
Btw, how do you pronouce "Geass"? ........yeah

"gei-ass"

yay but i dont even watch tv. and johnny young bosch as lelouch... heh.

MH Knights wrote:
Is this the show with the spoiler[pink haired girl ....? I see the meme posted on 4Chan now and then with her and the message "Who's the Lacus (sp?) clone now?"]

yes but u better add spoiler warning to what you wrote
biolizard_alpha

I'm surprised they actually picked up all three of the manga series.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not that I'm against Johnny Yong Bosch, but I'm just not seeing it work for Leouch. Hell, I'm not even too big of a Geass fan, but it doesn't sound right. Of course, we'll have to wait and see.

I find that these pretty boy characters often aren't feminine enough. Hell, I'm not even into that myself, like some female and even male friends are, but I certainly notice that a number of fans are. So when you fail to translate the feminine voice of these characters, to me, that's a failure. You're losing what a good deal of your fanbase wants. They want girly men. (As someone who looks more like bearded Leonidas from 300, that's kinda a disappointment to hear that women want that.)

For example, I know a friend refuses to even listen to the dub of Death Note. Though personally, Light wasn't bad, but even I admit L was too deep sounding. Then again I need to check the Japanese dub again. Also, even back when I saw the Evangelion dub, I was surprised that Shinji didn't sound as girly. Of course, in Japan he was voiced by a female actress. Not sure about Leouch.

Then again, the show's original director, helped select the English voice talent. So really, NO ONE should blame the US company. Not that it will stop rabid weeaboo fans who keep blaming the US company while the Japanese companies can do no wrong to them.

Meanwhile I'm surprised to hear there are three manga based on Geass and even a novel with Bandai bringing them all over.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nationalism is just a distraction from the deal about the show: it's a revenge drama with lots of strategic maneuvering and mind games. The fact that Lelouch is a Britannian (spoiler[Britannian prince]) takes away any controversy for nationalism. If it's a bunch of Japanese people shouting "Nippon Banzai" then it'd look a little dodgy, but it's Lelouch controlling them, then I don't see what's wrong with it...

Don't read too much into it.

The opening episodes do feature Japanese suicide bombers screaming 'Nippon Banzai' while they attack the evil Western, Christian invaders. The first episodes are so over-the-top Japanese right-wing fantasy it caught a deal of public heat, and the creative team had to cobble together some ham-handed analogy/semi-apology about how the Western forces really represented Japan, and the afflicted area really represented Korea (yeah..that's the ticket). The heat faded because as someone mentioned, the ultra right-wing stuff fades away (to a large degree) as the series moves on, and it's largely a younger audience centered action/drama.

'Code Geass' is, to me, a pretty silly, high-fluff content show, but it's hard to get roused about it too much since so much of the 'run-up' hype petered out, and whats actually present is somewhat obnoxious, but not 'serious' enough in scope to really look into anything to hard. Before it was released the creative team went on and on about how this would bring older audiences back to anime, but in reality 'Code Geass' is easily the most 'young teen' oriented (which largely accounts for it's popularity when compared to other mecha series-though not saying there's anything wrong with that) mecha that I can remember. I think this will be a pretty big hit with a lot of fans, but there will be a solid core who will wonder what all the hype was about.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

For example, I know a friend refuses to even listen to the dub of Death Note. Though personally, Light wasn't bad, but even I admit L was too deep sounding. Then again I need to check the Japanese dub again. Also, even back when I saw the Evangelion dub, I was surprised that Shinji didn't sound as girly. Of course, in Japan he was voiced by a female actress. Not sure about Leouch.

Both Lelouch and Suzaku are not feminine sounding at all. They are both voiced by male seiyuu.

Although I do agree with the opinion that they should switch Lelouch and Suzaku's dub voices around.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

The thing about Blood+ is that its owned by Sony, who are weird and have only ever released odd things like Cyborg 009(though I don't think they finished that...). They're not like the other companies

IIRC, they've also released some anime movies as well.

Very true, like Cowboy Bebop, Tekkon Kinkreet, Paprika, Metropolis, Memories, Advent Children, Tokyo Godfathers, and Steamboy. I think we will hear about the Blood+ DVDs once the series ends(or close to it) on AS.

About this news, I have heard a lot of buzz about this show so I will be watching. Plus it is always good to hear new anime being picked up for TV broadcast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6