Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyopop to Launch Asian Pop Culture Newsletter


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> UK -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1453

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
...and then they tried the whole "Social Environment" in their website where you couldn't find what you wanted to find... you know, the info on MANGA and releases.


I remember years ago I had all the major manga companies bookmarked, to an index page that showed all their titles available... And then one day Tokyopop changed... Suddenly, I felt like I was an idiot because I couldn't find a similar page! And then I realized, that there was barely anything about their product on the page :/ Ugh, even sites that add social media to their main pages at least still have it EASY to navigate on!

EDIT: Curious as to why this is in UK Talkback?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5690

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
Seriously Stu, at one point in time, you might have done some pretty nice work, but now it's just a moot point. It's fairly obvious that you really aren't with the times.

Do you honestly think any person would actually pay for anime related news when you can find it absolutely free here and other Google websites. All you need is a very basic internet connection and a browser.

I take it those documentaries have either concluded or the money to fund them ran out/something around those lines. Although I've cut my loses with Tokyo Pop (I doubt Aion will ever be finished or even licensed) so it really quite hilarious see Stu close this company and within a year, go back and try to sell a magazine with news that could be found likely anywhere.

After Tokyo Pop folded, I figured that would the last time in either ever again or a long time we would hear any news of Stu Levy. That doesn't seem like the case. Unfortunately.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9519
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
EDIT: Curious as to why this is in UK Talkback?

Because the thread starter used .uk server.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 1785

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Seriously Stu, at one point in time, you might have done some pretty nice work, but now it's just a moot point. It's fairly obvious that you really aren't with the times.

Do you honestly think any person would actually pay for anime related news when you can find it absolutely free here and other Google websites. All you need is a very basic internet connection and a browser.

I take it those documentaries have either concluded or the money to fund them ran out/something around those lines. Although I've cut my loses with Tokyo Pop (I doubt Aion will ever be finished or even licensed) so it really quite hilarious see Stu close this company and within a year, go back and try to sell a magazine with news that could be found likely anywhere.

After Tokyo Pop folded, I figured that would the last time in either ever again or a long time we would hear any news of Stu Levy. That doesn't seem like the case. Unfortunately.


As was already pointed out, this is going to be an online series powered by GeekChik. It's not a magazine and they're won't be a charge for it. GeekChik is add supported.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brand



Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 645

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I remember years ago I had all the major manga companies bookmarked, to an index page that showed all their titles available... And then one day Tokyopop changed... Suddenly, I felt like I was an idiot because I couldn't find a similar page! And then I realized, that there was barely anything about their product on the page :/ Ugh, even sites that add social media to their main pages at least still have it EASY to navigate on!


I pretty much hated the change to a social media site, they did away with being able to find any actual information on their titles. I was actual excited to hear they were going to do a redesign, then they closed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jyuichi



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
The new site wrote:
Please rest assured that I will continue to explore opportunities for TOKYOPOP to re-introduce our brand and, hopefully, some of the manga titles you love. Not everything is economically feasible in the current market, and I promise to openly communicate with you about that process as it continues.


Why does he keep teasing us with licenses.... Its like they regret the decision but only know how to hurt their remaining fans. :-/

If I was a Japanese publisher I wouldn't allow Stu Levy in my building let alone sign a contract with him ever again...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mawdryn



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 203
Location: St. Louis, MO. U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
Eh, Tokyopop is dead to me. This newsletter is just some zombie corpse lumbering about...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 1389
Location: Under Your Bed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
"amazingly difficult to get back"

In other news, dur hey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlegreenwolf
Crazy FangirlCrazy Fangirl


Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 4621
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
Is this like in the late 90s when they had that Tokyopop magazine/mixxzine? I used to actually like that... back before I had the internet in my room.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 2503
Location: Orgrimmar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
Oh look, a letter from him:

http://www.geekchicdaily.com/​region/​tokyopop/​story/​a-​welcome-​letter-​from-​tokyopop-​founder-​stu-​levy

WARNING: has giant picture of smug face.

This part is the part that irritates me most:

Quote:
It has been a tough time for me personally, for the company, and for you, the fans. I know that you’re all eager to have the same access to your favorite manga titles that we could previously provide and I promise that I am continuing to explore any and all opportunities to relaunch the manga publishing operations of TOKYOPOP’s business, as it was the original heart and soul of the company.


......

EDIT: And just posted at their facebook page:
Quote:

The circumstances have put a lot of roadblocks in our path, so the process will be slow.


(moar dots)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1453

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
So wait, he wants to continue publishing manga, even though he was the one who quit the company, even though he thought it was dying out, even though he would rather be investing in movies/documentaries?

Seriously... this is one human I do not understand the thought process of... What surprises me more is all the little fans on Facebook that still swoon around with "but I luv u Tokyopop!!!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaymie



Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 905

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
What surprises me more is all the little fans on Facebook that still swoon around with "but I luv u Tokyopop!!!"


Tokyopop's only appeal is with the Lowest Common Denominator of Manga fans. Stu realizes that, and he takes full advantage of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
kyokun703
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Posts: 2503
Location: Orgrimmar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Gets even better!

Tokyopop has created a BRAND NEW twitter account, @TOKYOPOPmanga. They are taking any questions right now re: manga.

This isn't a troll account either, it is confirmed by their FB page.

I'm at a loss. Really.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9519
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Oh look, a letter from him:

http://www.geekchicdaily.com/​region/​tokyopop/​story/​a-​welcome-​letter-​from-​tokyopop-​founder-​stu-​levy

WARNING: has giant picture of smug face.

The picture was replaced with another one with a bunch of (Japanese?) kids. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7201
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Oh look, a letter from him:

http://www.geekchicdaily.com/​region/​tokyopop/​story/​a-​welcome-​letter-​from-​tokyopop-​founder-​stu-​levy

WARNING: has giant picture of smug face.
Seeing that picture confirms my belief that he is a twunt afterall.

Quote:
This part is the part that irritates me most:

Quote:
It has been a tough time for me personally, for the company, and for you, the fans. I know that you’re all eager to have the same access to your favorite manga titles that we could previously provide and I promise that I am continuing to explore any and all opportunities to relaunch the manga publishing operations of TOKYOPOP’s business, as it was the original heart and soul of the company.
He scuttles his own company and now expects us to pity him that he's having problems refloating her? Is he a crack addict as well ? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
......

EDIT: And just posted at their facebook page:
Quote:

The circumstances have put a lot of roadblocks in our path, so the process will be slow.


(moar dots)
Seriously, he's totally brain damaged, isn't he? Bloody 'ell. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> UK -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group