• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Error Reports

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:05 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
cardcaptormanda wrote:
The episode title page for Pita Ten (#1103) has TONS of double title submissions.

This is caused by more than one ANNers have entered the information for the same episode.

I also figured that this was the cause. But, shouldn't they have submitted an error report asking to have the previous titles removed, instead of just letting them sit there?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:34 pm Reply with quote
http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=1363
Here you list 3x3 Eyes as being serialized in Shonen Jump, while on the 3x3 Eyes page you list it as being serialized in Kodansha's Young Magazine. I checked Kodansha's english page, and it is correct that it was serialized in Young Magazine, not Shonen Jump. Just figured I would point that out.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:08 am Reply with quote
I’ve noticed an increasing number of anime and manga in the encyclopedia with more than one picture. In most of these cases, there is only one additional picture, but sometimes there are three or even more. The same goes for additional summaries. I guess the point of this post is: should these be reported as errors? I know it says that a staff member will look at all submitted images and decide which one to keep, but I’ve seen many of these additional images just sit there for months at time. I guess the obvious reason for this is because the staff doesn’t have time to make constant checks on every anime in the encyclopedia to make sure there is only one image for each one. But in order to bring these to the staff’s attention, should I and others report them, or just let them stay there until one of the staff notices?
karitaru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ok,
Here I would like to report an error in the following anime:
anime#3883
It is Grendizer the movie.
Actually Grendizer appears in 2 movies:
1. Grendizer - Getter Robo G - Great Mazinger Kessen! Daikaijuu (movie)
anime#3616
2. UFO Robo Grendizer tai Great Mazinger (movie)
anime#3609
and that is all, according to a complete collection of the Mazinger related movies.
Now there was another movie called "War of the Space Saucers," which was a pilot movie. In it there was no mention of Grendizer. The Robot was actually called gattaiga. Duke Flied still attained his name, however, and the story was given to Go Nagai to improve on it, which resulted in Grendizer.
All of this is mentioned in the following site:
http://www.grendizer.net/Duke_Freed_Pilot_Movie.html

So, now, I think the name of this anime# 3883 must be changed to "War of the Space Saucers."

Thank you Surprised
chris keck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quote
Hello,

Regarding karitaru's error reports;

You reported what you think are errors with some Toei movies. First off, let me say that I’ve never seen any of these movies, nor have I seen anything with the Grendaizer character. If you’re a Grendaizer fan I’ll readily admit that you know much more about it than I do. However, earlier this year I entered some information into the Encyclopedia about older Toei productions, including some of the information on these three movies.

First, all three Grendaizer titles are listed in the Japanese Movie Database (JMDb). You can check the JMDb information for these movies by clicking on the Links link on their Encyclopedia pages. However, only the second two are listed on the Toei Animation website as Toei production movies. Since the JMDb lists both Toei Douga and Fuji TV as the producers of the first one (#3883) it may be a TV special that was also released in theaters.

On the fourth title that you questioned, “War of the Space Saucers”. Did you do a search? If you do you’ll find the Encyclopedia entry for “The Great Battle of the Flying Saucers” (#3611). It’s an English translation of the Japanese title “Uchuu Enban Dai-Senso”. That may be the one you’re looking for.

In general, before you say that an anime’s English title is correct or incorrect you should keep in mind that they are often not “official” titles, but translations of the Japanese titles. (By official I mean an English title given by a licensed distributor.) Different translators will have different interpretations. All of which can be considered correct. Even official English titles may not be literal translations of the Japanese titles. Personally, when I translate a Japanese title I try to keep the meaning and word order as close to the original as possible. Sometimes this sounds awkward in English. Other translators will try to make the English title sound better, even if it is not as literal a translation.

Something else to keep in mind, the staff of the ANN Encyclopedia have not maintained any consistent system for naming anime entries. Sometimes the main title is an official English title, sometimes it’s an unofficial translation and sometimes it’s an English transliteration (pronunciation) of the Japanese title. It seems like the title given by whoever submits the anime first is the one that gets used. When you’re looking for a particular anime you’re best bet is to do a search on the title that you have, then check the results to see if any match the one you’re looking for.

I hope this helps.

chris keck
karitaru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi Chris,
Thank you for your answer, but I am still unconvinced.
The following site, for example, mentions all the Grendizer stuff except for #3883:
http://geocities.com/Tokyo/Spa/2626/PAGE2-E.HTML

Now, the comprehensive collection of Mazinger movies I have watched contained "war of the space saucers," even though it is not a Toei Anime production, so it should a priori contain all the Grendizer stuff there is.

I don't like to seem pedantic, but I hope this clears things.

Khalifa
TF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:16 pm Reply with quote
hye,

1) in the encyclopedia, you can find ah, my goddess: the movie (#258) and oh, my goddess (#53). is it possible to give them the same name, i mean, let the name start with either "oh" or "ah".
The same goes for #217, #310, #210 and #73 (the rurouni kenshin series, ova's and movies)

2) ninja robots (#1883) has 2 pics

PS: my apologies if i sounded rude or arrogant
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:02 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Aa! Megami-sama series....

To TF: No, you can't unify "Ah" or "Oh," because the OVA and the movie were licensed by different companies and were given different English titles respectively.

Another problem is the title of Mini-Goddess: The official English title should be "The Adventures of Mini-Goddess." Note there's "The" in front, a dash between "Mini" and "Goddess," and the singular "Goddess." This is evident on the cover of DVD.

Its current title in ANN, Adventures of the Mini Goddesses, should be modified.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:20 am Reply with quote
According to Production I.G's English-language website, the character designer for Windy Tales (#3447) is Masatsugu Arakawa, not Shinji Arakawa.

http://www.productionig.com/project.php?id=28&section=3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xdaniel_FWB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
hi,
I don't know if that still counts as "minor errors" but when submitting some information to Crush Gear Turbo's entry (anime#2169) I noticed that this entry and the one for Crush Gear Nitro (anime#40) somehow got pretty mixed up.
First, Turbo and Nitro are not the same. Nitro is afaik a sequel to Turbo or at least the next series in the Crush Gear universe. So, on the Nitro page, the alternative title "Crush Gear Turbo", the plot summary, the number of episodes and the entry for German broadcaster are incorrect. I don't know about the other stuff but the mentioned things should either be deleted (German broadcaster at least) or go to the Crush Gear Turbo page (everything else).

ah, another thing: the companies/broadcasters "RTL2" and "RTL 2 Television" are the same company, that are just two different ways to write their name. One writes "RTL2", the other "RTL 2" and so on.
chris keck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I see the ANN staff has already changed the staff listing for Windy Tales based on jfrog’s post.
jfrog wrote:
According to Production I.G's English-language website, the character designer for Windy Tales (#3447) is Masatsugu Arakawa, not Shinji Arakawa.

Unfortunately it’s not that simple.

I submitted Shinji Arakawa for Character Design and Visual Concept based on my translation of the listing on the Japanese Production I.G. Windy Tales staff webpage.
Quote:
キャラクターデザイン・ビジュアルコンセプト
荒川眞嗣

http://www.production-ig.co.jp/anime/windytale/staff.html

My Japanese-English dictionary (enamdict) has just one pronunciation for 眞嗣; Shinji. Shinji Arakawa was already in the ANN Encyclopedia (#12405), so I figured that was most likely the same one.

As jfrog wrote Masatsugu Arakawa is listed on the English Windy Tales webpage.

http://www.productionig.com/project.php?id=28&section=3

When I made the submissions I hadn’t seen the English webpage yet.

My copy of enamdict lists 34 different kanji representations for Masatsugu, but none match 眞嗣. Also, it does not match the kanji for the Masatsugu Arakawa listed in the ANN Encyclopedia (#8230) 真嗣.

Puzzling no? Assuming that the kanji on the Production I.G. Japanese staff webpage page is correct I can see a couple of possible answers,
1. Masatsugu is a legitimate pronunciation of 眞嗣 that isn’t in enamdict. If this is the case then the listing for Visual Concept in Windy Tales should be changed too. However, this Masatsugu Arakawa may not be the same one already in the ANN Encyclopedia since the kanji don’t match. Is there anyone with more experience with kanji names or a more extensive dictionary who can check this out?
2. The translation on the English staff page is incorrect. There is a tendency to think that since it’s a Japanese source it must be right. But I’ve seen incorrect kana or English spellings on Japanese webpages several times. If this is the case I think the listing should be changed back to Shinji Arakawa.

chris keck

Last edited by chris keck on Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quote
眞嗣 and 真嗣 look similar enough that someone could misread the kanji if it was sloppily written. So the question is: did someone write Shinji which was misread as Masatsugu or was it the opposite? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I can't read Kanji, so this is really beyond me at this point. Thanks for catching it, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, 眞 and 真 are not entirely "different" kanji; they are the same character in two written formats. Similar examples are 沢/澤, 寿/壽, 万/萬, 竜/龍, etc. In most cases the two are interchangeable.

The biggest problem is that same kanji can have different spellings (furigana) and same furigana can generate even more different kanji combinations vice versa. Therefore, unless the name information is official and specific, it may not be 100% correct, and dictionary/IME can only give you partial examples. For example, in Arakawa's case, 眞嗣 can be also spelled as "masashi" and 真嗣 can be also spelled as "tadashi." I will address this name issue in a separate post shortly.

For people who wants to look into Japanese nomenclature for human and their cats, see this site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:35 pm Reply with quote
setzer wrote:
If you go here: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?list=M and then go down to Mobile Fighter G Gundam you see it is listed twice under the exact same title. But one is bolded & italisized (sp?) and the other on is just bolded.

((sorry about not posting it here the first time))

Seeing as how no one noticed this, but the first that is italicized and has no dash between the G and Gundam is the manga, the other that is just bold and has a dash between the G and Gundam is the anime.

By all appearances, the catalogue italicizes manga titles
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4