• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Lagoon 2nd Barrage Premieres on G4TechTV Canada

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot IFC. Thats actually a specialty foreign film channel though. In terms of regular channels or even a specialty channel like G4 it just isn't going to happen.

IFC Canada is a specialty channel just like G4, on the same 'tier' for most cable/satellite subscribers (though I know Rogers has been giving G4 some preferential placement lately, which is kinda corporate-evil considering they own it; definitely a conflict of interest there).

What's more, they launched within mere weeks of each other, back in late summer 2001 ... when incidentlally all the new Canadian specialty channel debuts were soon completely overshadowed by broadcast networks' news coverage of the terrorist attacks of September 11.

Anyway, check out IFC Canada some time ... you'll see it's not really a foreign film channel ... it's both broader and more mainstream than that. After all, Alliance Atlantis owns it--and we all know how 'pure' they are about thematic programming on their outlets like History Channel (which shows CSI:New York!) ....
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but regardless of how mainstream it is IFC is still an independant film channel. Sure History may show CSI: NY, but they also show stuff that would only appeal to a very specific audience that has an interest in history because they are the history channel. G4 might show something that appeals to the niche audience G4 is geared towards, but the only channel that is likely to show subtitled anime is one that's speciality is something like IFC.
I Heart Revy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Please, please please let there be a third barrage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3