• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommending shounen titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersajjin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know any good anime thats worth watching. Anime like love hina, chobits, kare kano, and fruits basket. Something in the same catagory with these animes?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Romantic comedy doesn't mean shoujo. I don't think Love Hina is packed with fanservice to attract females 15-24...
EMY23-23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Try Hand Maid May and Steel Angel Kurumi. They're pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:48 pm Reply with quote
All of those titles are actually shonen (minus FB). The topic of the thread has been adjusted to reflect that.

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
supersajjin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Thank you columnist. But does anyone recommend any good anime?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm...still confused as to what exactly is being asked here. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Can you narrow down what you're looking for? Shows like Love Hina would fall under shounen "harem" shows, like Ai Yori Aoshi, Oh My Goddess and Tenchi Muyo. Shows like Fruits Basket are considered shoujo series with a huge load of bishounen and would probably facilitate suggestions like Boys Over Flowers and Ayashi no Ceres. Shows like Chobits would warrant suggestions like Mahoromatic, Please Teacher, and Steel Angel Kurumi.

Is there any particular kind of show you're looking for? Certain story lines? Character types?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:23 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
If you want a good adventure Shounen, let me suggest Rurouni Kenshin. It's by far my favorite Shounen, thus far.

But if you can, avoid Cartoon Network's version. Yeah, that sounds elitist, and normally I really would encourage someone to catch an anime airing on TV...BUT, Rurouni Kenshin's gotten such a hack job that you can't even tell what goes on in some scenes (okay, when the TV run completely cuts out the defeat/demise of one of the main villains, there's an undeniable problem).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am Reply with quote
Yes avoid the RK dub on Cartoon Network...leaves a bad aftertaste. A shounen series you might enjoy (I do at least) is Naruto. It kinda follows the formula of DBZ, but it's a great show if your looking for action (and like ninja stuff Anime catgrin). Although it hasn't been licensed yet, I'm sure it will soon since it's quite the popular show.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:39 am Reply with quote
You could try Gunsmith Cats even though it's three episodes long (and sorry if I got this wrong Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mandichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:16 pm Reply with quote
KareKano isn't shounen either ToT

In anycase, I haven't seen the anime of it, only the manga, but Video Girl Ai is one of the best shounen love comedies/dramas, sort of along the lines of Chobits, but in my opnion much better! (But that's only for the manga version, I dunno how good the anime is)

DNA^2 is one similar to video girl ai, that's also a love comedy with a slight sci fi spin. Its a lot of fun, I need to finish watching it.....

You'd probably like Oh My Goddess too! I didn't enjoy the anime much, just the comics, but hey, I'm crazy like that Anime smile
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:30 pm Reply with quote
If you enjoyed Love Hina, I suggest you try Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Inuyasha - heck just about anything by Rumiko Takahashi Laughing .
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes avoid the RK dub on Cartoon Network...leaves a bad aftertaste

That really depends on if you've seen or read it. When I saw Kenshin on CN I loved it. I had nothing to compare it to because I hadn't seen/read it. And, I know the dvds are much better so now I want them even more. Very Happy

Quote:
It kinda follows the formula of DBZ, but it's a great show if your looking for action (and like ninja stuff ). Although it hasn't been licensed yet, I'm sure it will soon since it's quite the popular show.

Good show, for sure. Unfortunately, I don't see it being released until end of next year, at best. Same with One Piece. Crying or Very sad
supersajjin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:50 pm Reply with quote
What I am looking for is anime that have memorable storyline as well as characters. It also must have romance and comedy like Love Hina or Chobits.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Like I said Ranma 1/2 (very funny), Maison Ikkoku (funny, great characters and relationships), InuYasha (good action).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2