• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
God help us all.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
I sware if they screw this up as bad a SpeedRacer, AstroBoy, and DBZ any anime adaptation they do I will boycott.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
I sware if they screw this up as bad a SpeedRacer, AstroBoy, and DBZ any anime adaptation they do I will boycott.

You'd have to go see the movie first to be able to boycott it.
reksveks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
Still going to be a 2 parter ?
God knows that the anime was rushed in terms of storyline
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
People, especially those with niche interests, always seem to have trouble with the concept for some reason.

I suppose it comes down to feeling like people are going to forget that the original graphic novel or '88 movie ever happened if they accept this film as the main thing in the end. They still have the ability to remind people of it's source material if or when it's needed.
superspecial

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

Lol this pretty much sums it all up ^
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:

To be fair...if you ignore the fact that he's wearing a shirt and the shit-tastically boring story, AstroBoy wasn't that bad.....visually....just imagine he isn't wearing any clothes. (that came off wrong...)

Anyways, this movie will crash and burn. Asides from that fact that it's taking place in Manhattan for no reason, there's also...

Quote:
...director Jaume Collett-Serra (Unknown, Orphan, House of Wax)...producer Andrew Lazar (Jonah Hex, Space Cowboys, Get Smart)...

Admittedly I never watched Space Cowboys and Unkown...but I doubt they make up for the bolded movies.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
If it's it's really going to try to live up to the potential of a "tent pole project," then shouldn't the budget be a bit more than $90 million...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Racebending is reporting that the studios want the kid from Tron 2 to be the lead. So, yes, it will be whitewashed.

And yes, bad sequels/remakes do harm the original. When you mention Rocky, nobody remembers the Academy Award winning original. They remember Stallone punching Mr. T and a Russian to the tune of Eye of the Tiger.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
animefan1238 wrote:

You'd have to go see the movie first to be able to boycott it.

Uh, bullshit. The point of a boycott is to not give your time or money to something.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
Calling it a "tentpole" and "blockbuster" projects tells a lot about the movie actually. If their aim is to make a summer movie that's going to bring them loads of money, they are going to play it as safe as they can.
In Hollywood that means using a template of a blockbuster movie and adding few stuff from the orginal to at least be able to call it original.

I could bet anyone hundred bucks that this movie is going to be horrendous. The americanizing of the original premise is a very vivid sign of "playing it safe" for the lowest common denominator.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Huh. The staff doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Yep.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
Eh, Honestly I don't want to judge it now. When it comes out i will go see it. If its good, Awesome. If its not really it dose not matter too much. the original Akira is still there and I can pop it in anytime. I think the New Manhattan thing could work, If the fight team of people for the project is working on it I bet it will be fine. I will just say im very Curious about it. I think it might be a little to early to be throwing this one into the fire.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote
If motorcycles don't leave a trail of light behind them, I'm walking out of the theater.

...Granted they'll already have my $10. At midnight. Opening night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm surprised. I wonder if they will cast Asians in at least some of the parts. It'll be awkward for it to be called Akira otherwise.

They may still change the title, once the marketing department gets ahold of it.

Besides, Akira is just that dude in the jar. Akira is not the main character. Technically, any name could be used for that jar - call him Genie Alibaba. And out of all melting pot places in the world, Akira would not be weird in New Manhattan.

Yet, they could keep Akira as a Japanese character. The main characters though would most likely be Westerners and thus change their names accordingly.

Jaymie wrote:
Akira has a Japanese feel to it (not to mention its title) that will feel awkward if it takes place in America.

There are many possibilities for a post-WW3 dystopian city. Ya guys are too hang-up on the names.

firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh why can't they leave anime along all there going to do is fudge it up

It'll be based on the manga. A lot of people here haven't even read it.

animefan1238 wrote:

How many of those have you seen? Astroboy wasn't that bad, and Speed Racer was nostalgic to those who had seen the Americanized Speed Racer growing up (which is different from the original Japanese Mach Go Go Go - they're not the same animal, so expecting the live-action Speed Racer to be like Mach Go Go Go would be misplaced).

reksveks wrote:
Still going to be a 2 parter ?
God knows that the anime was rushed in terms of storyline

I thought it'd be a trilogy. It seems everything is a trilogy nowadays.

Gon*Gon wrote:

To be fair...if you ignore the fact that he's wearing a shirt and the shit-tastically boring story, AstroBoy wasn't that bad.....visually....just imagine he isn't wearing any clothes. (that came off wrong...)

If you've seen the movie, Astro does take off his clothes. You do remember why he was wearing clothes, right?

Gon*Gon wrote:

Asides from that fact that it's taking place in Manhattan for no reason, there's also...

Any psychic could destroy any city anywhere. One could say it didn't need to be in Tokyo in the original - there are other places it could be. Heck, late 1980's Tokyo more resembles today's socio-economic Manhattan than today's Tokyo anyways.

Of course, the real-world reason is that it's an American-remake movie, so it makes sense to be set in a place Americans are familiar with.

BTW, Absolute Boyfriend Manga Has Live-Action Korean Show Planned. Anybody gonna complain how they're gonna change that? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4