• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Claymore Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
MageofFire wrote:
As to Jedi General's point,
1 it's hard to find dvd's in Edmonton
2 affordable dvd's for series I like
3 ones that are dual audio (some of the ones I've seen are dubbed only)

That's what online retailers (like TRSI) are for. Most of them do ship their products to Canada.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
MageofFire wrote:

That's what online retailers (like TRSI) are for. Most of them do ship their products to Canada.

My thoughts exactly. I have my own share of troubles where I live, so I order online mostly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MageofFire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Sigh... I don't have the means to do that so I'm stuck with local retailers with their limited selection of dvd's.

Last edited by MageofFire on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Kazaam!

This year is starting out well.

stormcrow22 wrote:
...would it be too much to hope for a poster of Clare, like they did with Sia and Shuffle! Heh.

Considering the somewhat unique character designs, and the derivative bad ass poses that come natural to the show. I don't think there is much to worry about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's a good thing that new series continue being licensed, this helps clear the gloomy atmosphere that I've been feeling in the last month.

and as they say on the internets...

Moar Moar Claymoar!
Tenchi Kaze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
MageofFire wrote:
To what Halo wrote, I didn't really like the dub. I had seen it in sub ligitimately at the anime con that comes to Edmonton. That and the music that's played in the series was dubbed too and when I heard my favorite song of the OST, "Moon on the Water" in the dub I immediately changed channels. The song didn't sound the same as it did in the sub. The music is the biggest part of taht series and that's why I didn't finish watching it on tv.

It's easier and affordable to find manga so I support the industry that way. I also watch some anime on tv but I only get stuff on YTV (and BECK on Much before I was turned off from wathcing it) which is basically whatever Cartoon Network gets.

Your dislike of the BECK dub is purely your opinion. Plenty of other people liked that dub, so that point of your argument isn't going to convince the people who did like it.

Also, the music in Claymore is not a focal point of the series at all (the OST on its own is very good, but use of the OST tracks in the show itself is poor). Thus, fear of mishandling the music should not be a point against this show for you. The only songs in Claymore that could be dubbed are the opening and the ending, and the ending actually has an English version sung by the original artist already, so maybe Funi could use that if they get permission. EVEN THEN, if the dub totally turns you off in all ways, you could just, you know, switch to the subtitled Japanese version on the DVD. Nothing's stopping you.

As for your other points:

1) Um, have you actually gone out and LOOKED for anime DVDs in Edmonton? The HMV in West Ed has one of the widest anime selections I've ever seen outside of big specialty stores. I can find almost anything I want there, as long as it's not too obscure. I found Phoenix and the re-released Slayers boxsets there, among many other things I've never seen in other brick-and-mortar stores to this date. And if they don't have something, I ask if they can order it in. They're usually more than happy to do it.

Besides that HMV, there are also several other Edmontonian stores that sell anime, such as Comic King (three locations in Edmonton, including one in West Ed), Comex Hobby (in West Ed and in Kingsway Garden Mall), and Warp One/Two (though I don't recommend them unless you're desperate).

2) Define "affordable." DVDs in general are overpriced, so I'd like to know what kinds of DVDs you can actually afford when you're so inclined.

3) Dub-only anime DVDs are SO INCREDIBLY RARE nowadays! Oh my god, this shouldn't even be a point of contention! You're more likely to find a sub-only DVD these days, with more and more titles being released that way. The only DVDs with dub only tend to be shows put out by 4Kids. Viz released dub-only Naruto DVDs, but also put out a separate uncut subtitled version that's pretty easy to find, so it's not like the dub was the only game in town.

Also, buying manga does not support the anime industry unless you buy a lot of Viz or ADV Manga. Newsflash - manga and anime are separate mediums supported mostly by different companies.

From what you've posted thus far, I'm inclined to think that the main reason you don't buy DVDs is because you're a young person who lives at home without much disposable income or a credit card. If that's the case, then I can understand being choosy with what you buy, because you need to make sure you spend what you have on something that's really worthwhile. But come on, at least don't claim that you don't have a lot of places to find anime. I've lived in Edmonton and found a lot there.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
I'm glad Claymore got licensed, it was one of the few 2007 titles I had planned on buying. Shame the official subtitles can't possibly match Eclipse's.

And you're saying this without having seen any of the official subtitles?

Personally, I found some of the phrasing Eclipse went with to be a bit clumsy at times, so I am eagerly looking forward to a professional subtitle job. I have also wanted to hear this one in English ever since I originally saw the fansubs, both because I want to hear all of the English names actually pronounced correctly and because the style of speaking used in the series (most of the female characters have harsher, lower-pitched voices) is more conducive to female American VAs than female Japanese VAs. It will be very interesting to see who gets cast for what.

This one's licensing was, I have always thought, inevitable, but I'm very happy to hear it finally announced, and FUNi is the company I expected would grab it.

And for those who did not watch it in fansubs: yes, this is very much a shonen-styled series, albeit a "sexy blond women with big swords and bad attitudes" approach instead of "girls with guns." It may be too intensely graphic for general cable broadcast, but it's a solid, very dark fantasy series which, at times, tells an excellent story.

Hmmm, now I have to update my Claymore Web site. . . and also hope that this means Claymore wall scrolls might become available during the summer convention season. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It will be very interesting to see who gets cast for what.

As long as FUNi casts Laura Bailey, I'll be happy. I love how her voice sounds when she gets into her lower register.

Key wrote:
Hmmm, now I have to update my Claymore Web site. . . and also hope that this means Claymore wall scrolls might become available during the summer convention season. Cool

Yes! I'd love a good Claymore wall scroll.

As for the site, I just looked at it and noticed that my manga/anime correlation isn't complete. I'd forgotten about that, honestly. I'll PM you shortly with a correlation for the final episode.

Last edited by Jedi General on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
That video was great. I like how they just had "Claymore" in the background and never actually said they licensed it.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for Claymore getting licensed but... I was hoping someone else would license it. Am I the only one who thinks Funimations dubs are total shit?

Fullmetal Alchemist is the only Funimation dub I didn't regret watching. I hope they get someone else to do the Claymore dub for them.

Last edited by Mmsven on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

EDIT:
khryoleoz wrote:
Please, just don't use Funi's own studio for ADR. Gross!

Question Why do you say that?

My problem is with their pool of actors. Every Funi dub had been to my taste both flat and over the top. Name it, Baki, Basilisk, Beck, Black Cat, Blue Gender, DBZ, Fruits Basket, FMA, Gunslinger Girl, Kiddy Grade, Negima, Sukuran, Trinity Blood...

It would be nice for me to watch a Funi title dubbed and actually enjoy the dub. I'm someone who likes the LA pool and generally prefer Animaze and BZE.

Mmsven wrote:
I'm all for Claymore getting licensed but... I was hoping someone else would license it. Am I the only one who thinks Funimations dubs are total shit?

Fullmetal Alchemist is the only Funimation dub I didn't regret watching. I hope they get someone else to do the dub for them.

No you're not the only one. However, you're much much more lenient about FMA's dub than I.

RE: Claymore, I'd like to see a who's who of VAs making the cast similar to the Japanese one. Get them from all over the country, LA, Texas, New York, etc.. Bring in Bridget Hoffman, Melissa Fahn, Dorothy Fahn, Amanda Winn-Lee, Luci Christian, Laura Bailey, Veronica Taylor, Jessica Calvello, Carrie Savage, Wendy Lee, Shelley Calene-Black, Hilary Haag, Kelli Cousins, Kira Vincent-Davis, bring em all!

Last edited by khryoleoz on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Funi starts the year off by kicking butt. I never really watched more than 1 episode, but it seemed pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

A Claymore wall scroll would be nice. Very Happy
Tenchi Kaze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Personally, I found some of the phrasing Eclipse went with to be a bit clumsy at times, so I am eagerly looking forward to a professional subtitle job. I have also wanted to hear this one in English ever since I originally saw the fansubs, both because I want to hear all of the English names actually pronounced correctly and because the style of speaking used in the series (most of the female characters have harsher, lower-pitched voices) is more conducive to female American VAs than female Japanese VAs. It will be very interesting to see who gets cast for what.

This one's licensing was, I have always thought, inevitable, but I'm very happy to hear it finally announced, and FUNi is the company I expected would grab it.

And for those who did not watch it in fansubs: yes, this is very much a shonen-styled series, albeit a "sexy blond women with big swords and bad attitudes" approach instead of "girls with guns." It may be too intensely graphic for general cable broadcast, but it's a solid, very dark fantasy series which, at times, tells an excellent story.

Oo, good point about lower voices being more conducive to English dubbing. I hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense. Now I want to see this dubbed more than ever, in addition to wanting to hear all the names of people and places pronounced correctly.

Speaking of which, I wonder how they'll handle the words "yoma" and "yoki" in the sub and dub. Viz's release of the manga keeps them intact, but Funi may decide to do something different. I'm hoping that they at least translate those words in the dub, because I don't know why, but the thought of hearing those distinctly Japanese words in a show where everything is European-looking and sounding and everyone speaks English just rubs me the wrong way. Ah well, whatever they do, I'll probably accept it anyway. It's freakin' Claymore. ^^

However, if the series is released in singles in addition to a box set, I may end up buying the singles, because I just do not want to own the DVD with the last few episodes on it. I can't express just how much of a travesty the made-up ending of the show was. It wasn't bad just because it didn't follow the manga; I actually would have been happy if there had been an original ending if it were any good. It was just... BAD. BADBADBADBADBAD. An otherwise great show just suddenly went POOF! Down the toilet! Ugh. >< I'd prefer to not have that ending and just read the manga past the point that I drop the anime at.

Last edited by Tenchi Kaze on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brians9824

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
MageofFire wrote:
Sigh... I don't have the means to do that so I'm stuck with local retailers with their limited selection of dvd's.

How can you not have the means? Just get a pre-paid card from any local grocery store and you can use that to order online. Theres no age limit on those.

I'm really looking forward to this show as we watched this recently in our anime club. Definitely buying the dvds for this when they come out, just hope they have a cool box.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7