• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime would be a good basis for a big Hollywood film?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Xeric wrote:
sirgalahadthegreat wrote:
Uh...forget Cocktail? I think Bartender borrows largely from the movie. Besides, who wants to see bartenders in action? Movies like that are what someone here called "a bread and butter film". I think movies with elements of drama and emotion that are common to all make better movies.[/b] though.

The primary reason I thought Bartender would be a good Hollywood movie was precisely because of how the bar is used as a frame to tell several different stories that are quite dramatic and have a lot of emotion.

I feel the need to ask, and please understand that I don't intend this question to be hostile, but have you actually watched Bartender?

This is a plot summary for Bartender

This is for Cocktail.

The only similarity is that they both involve one or more bartenders.

Bartender sounds like it would make one of those great little indy films.
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
Lydia Dianne wrote:

I agree completely.

Xeric wrote:
The primary reason I thought Bartender would be a good Hollywood movie was precisely because of how the bar is used as a frame to tell several different stories that are quite dramatic and have a lot of emotion.

I feel the need to ask, and please understand that I don't intend this question to be hostile, but have you actually watched Bartender?

This is a plot summary for Bartender

This is for Cocktail.

The only similarity is that they both involve one or more bartenders.

Well, the plots look a lot similar to me. Both Cocktail and Bartender have bartenders questing after something. And they are both excellent bartenders.
But the issue isn't even that: how can an endless series of days in a bar with many people coming in and sharing their grievances while slugging a drink ambitiously named 'Glass of God' even make it to the studio? Even if it does, how can you expect the audience to take such a thing? Granted you might like it, but it won't make a good basis for a big Hollywood movie? There are a lot of dynamics involved that this anime does not satisfy. Such anime (and I don't mean it derogatorily) deserve to enjoyed alone.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Funny you should mention this as I picked up this Death Note spinoff novel (being set before the manga I assumed it wouldn't spoil all the stuff I've not seen/read yet bot oooh no) and was thinking how Johnny Depp is a shoe-in for L.

They're showing the live action Death Note at the San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival March 18 & 22. The only anime I could find them showing was The Castle of Cagliostro.
Xeric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Lydia Dianne wrote:

Granted you might like it, but it won't make a good basis for a big Hollywood movie?

You're right, the similarities or disparities betweeen Cocktail and Bartender aren't entirely relevant.

You're point here, however, is. I had envisioned several of the stories in Bartender occurring within the space of one evening, with the stories intertwining, sort of like Crash or Traffic from a few years ago. However, now that I think about, you're right, there isn't much there for Joe America, no intense action, no room for flashy effects. Not even any world changing events or tales of forbidden love.

Oh well, I was biased in my view and I retract my assertion that Bartender would make a good Hollywood movie. Even still Lydia Dianne makes a good point, it would be a good independent film, but that's not for this topic.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not sure if any anime based movie is a good idea. While the premise may be one that could work well. Hollywood seems to have the worst choices of anime to adapt. Not only that but their not very good. I've been very vocal (not on this site I don't think) about the Grave of the Fireflies live-action film. And, I also have a great deal of doubt in the success of the DBZ, and Akira films.

But if a film had to be done, and if it were done correctly I think a Cowboy Bebop film would work out well since it's largely inspired by Western themes.
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
I'm really not sure if any anime based movie is a good idea. While the premise may be one that could work well. Hollywood seems to have the worst choices of anime to adapt. Not only that but their not very good. I've been very vocal (not on this site I don't think) about the Grave of the Fireflies live-action film. And, I also have a great deal of doubt in the success of the DBZ, and Akira films.

Absolutely right on the first one. We all know how the Fist of The North Star and Grave of the Fireflies live-action movies bombed.

Quote:
But if a film had to be done, and if it were done correctly I think a Cowboy Bebop film would work out well since it's largely inspired by Western themes.

Hell yeah! That's a great idea right there! But there's one problem: who's cool enough to play Spike? Smile [/quote]
legendfunk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
Indie, arthouse, yeah! Those are the points to which I'm getting at. With all the American comic superheroes going mainstream why don't we put something more well-known like SoltyRei. A young android girl teaming up with a renegade underground? Some high-budget studio would pick up on that.

Quote:

Hell yeah! That's a great idea right there! But there's one problem: who's cool enough to play Spike? Smile

Spike?

For some reason, if you put this out to a western audience who is told that "Spike is some cool maverick", I hear the echoes of 99.9% percent of them saying Johnny Depp. Everyone is so obsessed with him, and I don't know why, but I can see him being summoned by any movie director who sees Bebop and wants to make it a live-action film. Not that I endorse this in any way.

(I edited that bit; it originally looked like I supported Johnny Depp. Ugh.)

Last edited by legendfunk on Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:16 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
gdupninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
Ghost in the shell and Cowboy bebop would be great live action movies.
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Space Battleship Yamato is aparently a good choice.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060424j.php

Walt-Disney Pictures purchased the theatrical rights for the Live-Action movie of Yamato back in the mid 90s.

Here's a copy of the "script" that was supposedly leaked onto the net after Disney canned the project.

It would certainly be a sweet live action flick, especially with today's level of CG.
NathanBum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:

Elfen Lied (with Shia LeBeouf (the transformers/disturbia guy) as Kohta and Emma Watson (aka Hermione) as Yuka)
Evangelion - let's find some actors the same way we found a Daniel

NOOOO!!! You picked my favorites. Hollywood cannot soil their good name with their million dollar budgets and botched scripts! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
legendfunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
NathanBum wrote:
legendfunk wrote:

Elfen Lied (with Shia LeBeouf (the transformers/disturbia guy) as Kohta and Emma Watson (aka Hermione) as Yuka)
Evangelion - let's find some actors the same way we found a Daniel

NOOOO!!! You picked my favorites. Hollywood cannot soil their good name with their million dollar budgets and botched scripts! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

OK then, let's say they would make good releases by an indie studio, or even a French one...Heck with all that, ahem, "exposure" in French films I don't see any efforts to censor or lighten up Elfen Lied material Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:
Indie, arthouse, yeah! Those are the points to which I'm getting at. With all the American comic superheroes going mainstream why don't we put something more well-known like SoltyRei. A young android girl teaming up with a renegade underground? Some high-budget studio would pick up on that.

fullmetal1923 wrote:
Quote:

Hell yeah! That's a great idea right there! But there's one problem: who's cool enough to play Spike? Smile

Spike?

I hear the echoes of 99.9% percent of people saying Johnny Depp.

Bang on, man!!!!!!! Solty Rei would also be among my top 5 choices. I fully agree with you! Imagine how cool it'd be if Paramount picked up on that.

Um, about the quote: You misnamed the writer. I wrote that reply, not fullmetal1923.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
Um, about the quote: You misnamed the writer. I wrote that reply, not fullmetal1923.

Oops, sorry, will edit. Yeah I was waiting for someone to say SoltyRei.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:

Why is it every single cry for some bishi/cold/uber hot anime character always concerns Depp?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
legendfunk wrote:

Why is it every single cry for some bishi/cold/uber hot anime character always concerns Depp?

I have to agree with you there! I'm a little sick of hearing about him myself!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6