• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo/GDH Contacts Crunchyroll Video Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
... To be honest though, I don't expect that to happen, while GDH has shown some interest in CR, I think most companies aren't going to want to play ball with a website that was stealing their content just a short while before.

To put it another way, I expect CR to be anime's Napster.

-t

You might well be right, but I also recall a post I made a few weeks back during a "should companies work with fansubbers" debate.
Furudanuki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
You fansubbers really take the piss. You boast how well you can steal from the Japanese and then say "take us on board because we are better at giving away your jobs we stole from you" Yeah I can see them taking you in with open arms of joy. Funny name for a sword that.

Which is very similar to the views expressed by a lot of corporations back in the 70's and 80's regarding computer hackers (the real techs, not the crackers and script kiddies who came later). Of course, this avowed revulsion did not prevent the same corporations from turning right around and hiring a number of those hackers as computer security consultants. Data security conferences in the early 80's were like a mixture of "Revenge of the Nerds" meets "Pirates of the Caribbean". I'm not in a position to know whether or not a similar arrangement would work in the anime industry. But if the corporate bean-counters think they can make money working with fansubbers and executive management thinks they can do it without publicly losing too much face, then I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of deal struck.

If the info regarding CR turns out to be factual, it looks like that prediction about corporate behavior is going to be proven correct a lot sooner than I imagined.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The question all these companies have been asking: CAN MONEY BE MADE OFF OF ZHE DOWNLOADINGS?

With what's going on with Crunchyroll and the controversy surrounding it; the handwriting's on the wall. In the age of "money talks, bull walks;" it's the people who will never give companies their money who influence the industry.

Now everything will just be some incredible advertisement for everyone else; overtly long commercials with no story-telling meat whatsoever. Even though everything now is bad enough.

It's gonna be like Hollywood (before independent filmmakers made better films than them) all over again.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
It's gonna be like Hollywood (before independent filmmakers made better films than them) all over again.

Uh... That happened in the late 60's.

Never mind. Hows abouts you offer us up some revolutionary ideas to fix that problem? Very Happy
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Quote:
If the info regarding CR turns out to be factual, it looks like that prediction about corporate behavior is going to be proven correct a lot sooner than I imagined.

I guess my general question on this is if Japanese companies are finally going to be willing to go the digital distribution route, why do they need a site like Crunchyroll as middle man? This isn't quite like your 'computer hacker' analogy, a 'hacker' is a physical asset that can't be substituted/reproduced by a company. In the case of Crunchyroll, it's not even in the technical sense a 'fansub' site, it's just a compilation of collected 'fansub' material. The value/appeal in this case is the shows/streams, which the industry produces (the raw component of) in the first place.

Why not just open their own digital distribution sites, or in North America's case go with the traditional R1 companies who have already been pushing for this? This also has the added benefit of being able to maximize contract value in having physical and digital distribution contracts through the same entity. Again, in the end if Japan's anime industry wants to jump into the 'stream/digital' game, I don't see why a Crunchyroll is necessary at all, just let your traditional partners do it.
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
So Gonzo are starting their bigger picture plan of releasing things online.

They're just using CrunchyRolls 4 million viewers to raise awareness/test the water with their new series/create a bit of interest, etc. Although, I don't think those 4 million are the same who download from fansub sites via Bittorent, that's probably still being worked on for a solution, or maybe Gonzo thinks those will follow if this project gets off the ground.

But yeah, this surprised me a great deal. Japanese companies really just don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves.

They release a statement then go back on themselves, while leaving their R1 'friends' in the dark about their 'bigger picture'.
Have some respect Gonzo? Or maybe they did and as previously discussed Funimation and Bandai are expressing their point of view. Or maybe they're making a stand against the Japanese companies? Speculation, speculation... I'd like to know some hard facts for once.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone comparing the two news pieces? They are completely opposite ends of the scale.

Funimation and Bandai Ent. are going after CR for copyright infringement of titles they already have licensed for the US, with subs (and dubs in most cases). What Gonzo/GDH is doing is working on getting their shows on CR before they are licensed for R1, probably with subs only. There's nothing wrong with these two going hand-in-hand. Obviously in the long run, then, when titles that are streamed on CR do get licensed, they'd probably not have to take them down, since people who want to download will download and people who want to buy physical media will buy it (like me), regardless of whether they already downloaded it, or if it was available for download and they didn't download it.

There doesn't have to be a group here who did things "wrong", aside from CR doing the initial pirating of already pirated anime for a fee.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
superdeformed wrote:
"Traditional" media is dying. We are at about the breaking point. Some companies will either shrink or go under some will adapt, but there will be new companies to take their place.

Crunchy Roll along and other sites like Hulu and even iTunes will be leading the charge and many other will be following along.

No more one format only, multiple formats and quick turn around time is what people are demanding and the one who will provide that wins, plain and simple.

If Gonzo does get in bed with crunchy roll and they profit then the other studios will follow.

Although the topic is extremely different, you sound a lot like hippies did when they were forecasting the age of Aquarius...

If you're a hippy though, I'm probably a hippy too, just a bit more skeptical (and I would like to think a bit more knowledgeable on the subject that the average fan).

I too believe that it's time for a change, and that the companies that don't adapt will be in serious trouble.

While I expect the environment to change in favor of consumers/fans, I don't think it's going to be the paradise that you're hoping for.

iTunes is indeed a good model of what we can expect, along with online-on-demand viewing sites like similar to ADV's TAN online.

However sites like CR, I do not expect to be part of the future. Right now we're in a bit of a "Wild-Wild-West" stage when it comes to online media, and eventually the legitimate businesses are going to push the outlaws out. A few of the outlaws are going to adapt and become legit businesses, but by the time that happens, they won't look anything like they do now.

Turning my metaphor into something a bit more specific, sites like the current CR are going to fade away. If CR is still around in a couple years, it'll only be offering the media that it has been given permission to offer, it won't be the free for all that it is today. To be honest though, I don't expect that to happen, while GDH has shown some interest in CR, I think most companies aren't going to want to play ball with a website that was stealing their content just a short while before.

To put it another way, I expect CR to be anime's Napster.

-t

Wild-Wild-West stage? Someone listedn to TWiT this week. Wink

Sorry, someone must have slipped some LSD into my drink. Yeah I did sound like a hippie there.

But honestly how can media not go global across multiple devices? It already is on a not so mainstream level. I think the whole concept of licensing and distribution is being turned on it's head right now.

I don't think it's going to be some kind of utopia where everything is free. But I think online DRM-free digital distribution can be profitable. It's already going on in a mass scale, just not many have tapped it. Most will not try to tap it until someone proves it can be done or they will go under before then. It's going to be ugly and it will confuse a lot of people, but it will happen.

I just hope Crunchy Roll and Gonzo or whoever can show it can be done. The next few years will be very interesting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I just think the event is too much of a coincidence right along with the other situation even if they are opposite. Perhaps, even "convenient" for CR? I can see the planned idea, but I have to keep wondering why it had to be CR?

I can only see it working if CR gets rid of all of its illegal stuff. >_>
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:
Quote:

I guess my general question on this is if Japanese companies are finally going to be willing to go the digital distribution route, why do they need a site like Crunchyroll as middle man? This isn't quite like your 'computer hacker' analogy, a 'hacker' is a physical asset that can't be substituted/reproduced by a company. In the case of Crunchyroll, it's not even in the technical sense a 'fansub' site, it's just a compilation of collected 'fansub' material. The value/appeal in this case is the shows/streams, which the industry produces (the raw component of) in the first place.

Why not just open their own digital distribution sites, or in North America's case go with the traditional R1 companies who have already been pushing for this? This also has the added benefit of being able to maximize contract value in having physical and digital distribution contracts through the same entity. Again, in the end if Japan's anime industry wants to jump into the 'stream/digital' game, I don't see why a Crunchyroll is necessary at all, just let your traditional partners do it.

I don't have a clue why they might have chosen this route rather than working with their more traditional partners. However I have to assume that it would be because they expect some sort of cost savings, or to accrue some intangible benefit from this association. But the main point of my hacker analogy was that corporations are perfectly willing to climb into bed with those they were condemning as scum just the day before if they think it will be good for business. And they tend to dump former associates and partners just as quickly when it is to their benefit to do so.
MrVince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Why is everyone comparing the two news pieces? They are completely opposite ends of the scale.

Funimation and Bandai Ent. are going after CR for copyright infringement of titles they already have licensed for the US, with subs (and dubs in most cases). What Gonzo/GDH is doing is working on getting their shows on CR before they are licensed for R1, probably with subs only. There's nothing wrong with these two going hand-in-hand. Obviously in the long run, then, when titles that are streamed on CR do get licensed, they'd probably not have to take them down, since people who want to download will download and people who want to buy physical media will buy it (like me), regardless of whether they already downloaded it, or if it was available for download and they didn't download it.

There doesn't have to be a group here who did things "wrong", aside from CR doing the initial pirating of already pirated anime for a fee.

I was about to type something along these lines. I absolutely agree with your viewpoint on this.

As darkness says, this is nothing new. Look at nbc.com, for example, which streams Heroes with advertising the day after it airs.

However, some goals will need to be met for consumers and the partnership between CR and the Japanese studios to be happy:

1. Competitive turnaround on the translation of the episodes. This means taking on well-made dub which can be distributed by a group within 24 hours of the original airing of a 22 minute episode.

2. High video quality. This is something that is constantly being improved, but a balance with CR's bandwidth usage must be made.

3. Translator notes to address localization issues. There are many inside Japanese jokes and things many outsiders will not know about. There are many dub group which provide that information.

4. Advertising. By doing this, the studios must recognize they are no longer reaching out to consumers by geographic region. Instead it will be done by worldwide audiences that speak a specific language. In this case, the streaming would be put to an English speaking audience. That means it may not be the best business model to advertise local things like Suica cards or Jack in the Box. However you can advertise things like.... video games. =)

5. With regard to point 4, there is a lot of potential with this. I believe right now the next largest language groups that watch anime are Spanish, Korean, and Mandarin. Consideration will need to be taken to that to expand profitability.
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
xstylus wrote:
I think this is REALLY STUPID of Gonzo. This is like America contacting Al Quaeda and saying, "Hey, can we let bygones be bygones and work together?"

Shut those ass hats down.

Except that your analogy is waaayyyy off. Comparing terrorism to copyright infringement is just plain asinine.

It's always best in the world of business to work things out without relating to legal measures. Working together saves money and in the end creates better deals. Litigation is long, expensive, and often achieves nothing.

Sorry, but I find my analogy quite accurate.

You've got one group who is, in effect, extorting an entire industry. "You better make a deal with us, because we're gonna keep distributing it illegally anyway."

Making a deal with these people is like making a deal with terrorists in that it rewards bad behavior. What's pissing me off even more is that I've seen a lot of people in this thread applauding Gonzo's move.

Sorry, but working with fansubbers or copyright terrorists is NOT the solution. The companies should NOT be rewarding such bad, callous, and destructive behavior.

If CR wants the companies to work with them, then CR has the obligation to act in good faith by removing ALL material that is on there illegally -- which, not ironically or surprisingly, would practically empty the site.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
This thread sucks. To paraphrase the fine individuals at Rockstar games, "This thread is full of bullies and maniacs." I'm leaving. *walks out*
calawain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
Sorry, but I find my analogy quite accurate.

You've got one group who is, in effect, extorting an entire industry. "You better make a deal with us, because we're gonna keep distributing it illegally anyway."

Making a deal with these people is like making a deal with terrorists in that it rewards bad behavior. What's pissing me off even more is that I've seen a lot of people in this thread applauding Gonzo's move.

Sorry, but working with fansubbers or copyright terrorists is NOT the solution. The companies should NOT be rewarding such bad, callous, and destructive behavior.

If CR wants the companies to work with them, then CR has the obligation to act in good faith by removing ALL material that is on there illegally -- which, not ironically or surprisingly, would practically empty the site.

This is why it's hard to have a real debate that lasts long on this board. There's people who compare anime downloads to terrorism and stick by it. I mean it's really hard to come up with a reasonable response to such a position. Copyright terrorists eh? Wow I'm sure all the families of the people that have died as a result of actual terrorism feel that their pain is equivalent to the loss of income suffered by anime companies.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Information, including email addresses, for reporting anime pirates is available at:

http://www.koyagi.com/pirates.html

Coming soon similar info for manga companies.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Some anime studios DO use BT to distribute anime...

Which studios? I already knew Kadokawa use BT to promote their video, but they're just a media distribution company. You need to prove your claim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8