• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Library War.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I know it's her character and that I should just accept and move on; eh, it's just a personal gripe. There seem to be a lot of those "blushing maiden" types in anime; I'd like to see a young adult who is more mature about it for those of us who don't have such severe guy troubles. Someone who is confident and honest and composed at the same time.

Well, her friend Shibasaki would probably react much differently, but Kasahara seemed to be a much simpler person, much less wordly.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

I know it's her character and that I should just accept and move on; eh, it's just a personal gripe. There seem to be a lot of those "blushing maiden" types in anime; I'd like to see a young adult who is more mature about it for those of us who don't have such severe guy troubles. Someone who is confident and honest and composed at the same time.

Well, her friend Shibasaki would probably react much differently, but Kasahara seemed to be a much simpler person, much less wordly.

Shibasaki did react much differently. You got your wish, rainbow courage. Anime smile

Episode 7 was quite good, and it was really nice having some focus on Shibasaki. She's an interesting character as she doesn't seem to allow much of her real self to shine through, whatever that real self is. Her beauty regiment seems as much as compulsion for keeping her 'mask' perfect as a desire to maintain a certain appearance.

I'm interested to see where things are going to start going with the introduction of some new characters, a potential push for someone to go double-agent (though I don't think he would), and the fact that the series (season?) only has 5 episodes left with which to resolve everything in the first place. The first few episodes really fell kind of flat for me, but things have been improving by leaps and bounds ever since then.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode and was confused by the plot summary I had read in the encyclopedia.

Plot Summary: In the year 2019, the explosion of information and misinformation became a direct threat to society. In a daring decision, it was decided to create a new government agency dedicated solely to information management. Now some thirty years later, the government still monitors and controls information, suppressing anything they find undesirable, but standing against their abuses of power are the libraries, with their special agents called ‘the book soldiers.’

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but to me it implies that the Media Improvement Act was enacted in 2019 and that the anime takes place 30 years later.
The impression I got from the anime was that the story took place in 2019 and the Media Improvement Act was enacted 30 years earlier.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but to me it implies that the Media Improvement Act was enacted in 2019 and that the anime takes place 30 years later.
The impression I got from the anime was that the story took place in 2019 and the Media Improvement Act was enacted 30 years earlier.

The way I understood it, the Media Improvement Act and the Library Act were enacted in Seika 1 (=2019, Seika being the fictive regnal era following the current Heisei era), and the story of the anime takes place in Seika 31 (=2049, after a generation of struggle between the two Acts has created the tense situation between the Media Act people and the libraries).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
samuraiwalt wrote:

The way I understood it, the Media Improvement Act and the Library Act were enacted in Seika 1 (=2019, Seika being the fictive regnal era following the current Heisei era), and the story of the anime takes place in Seika 31 (=2049, after a generation of struggle between the two Acts has created the tense situation between the Media Act people and the libraries).

- abunai

Then there must be something wrong with the translation of the anime I'm watching because immediately after the opening credits it says, "Year 31 Seika (2019)" then it says, "Kantou Libray Base" then the next scene shows Kashara Iku in training.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Yes... the Ray Bradbury reference in ep. 6 would also seem to indicate that the time of the anime is in the 2010s, not 2040s.

Maybe they're operating with an alternate history?

I am confused.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
LOL at Doujou's and Kasahara's height difference in episode 8. It was interesting to hear Tezuka's brother talk about how ridiculous the confrontations between the Library Corps and the Media Enhancement are, but that doesn't make the show's premise any less ridiculous. The last scene where spoiler[Kasahara's "prince charming" is revealed to her] is priceless.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
abunai wrote:
samuraiwalt wrote:

- abunai

Then there must be something wrong with the translation of the anime I'm watching because immediately after the opening credits it says, "Year 31 Seika (2019)" then it says, "Kantou Libray Base" then the next scene shows Kashara Iku in training.

From Wikipedia:

The premise of Toshokan Sensō involves the Japanese government passing the Media Betterment Act (MBA) as law in 1989 which allows the censorship of any media deemed to be potentially harmful to Japanese society by deploying agents in the Media Betterment Committee (MBC) with the mandate to go after individuals and organizations that are trying to exercise the act of conducting freedom of expression activities in the media. However, local governments opposed to the Media Betterment Act establishes armed anti-MBA defense force units to protect libraries from being raided by MBC agents under the Freedom of the Libraries Law. The conflict between MBC agents and library soldiers has continued to 2019, when the story begins. In accordance with the Japanese era calendar scheme, 1989 in Toshokan Sensō is rendered the first year of the fictional Seika (正化, Seika?) era, rendering 2019 as Seika 31

So yes, abunai was right; they're using an alternate history.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Maybe you should move the In the year 2019 line.

Plot Summary: The explosion of information and misinformation became a direct threat to society. In a daring decision, it was decided to create a new government agency dedicated solely to information management. In the year 2019 now some thirty years later, the government still monitors and controls information, suppressing anything they find undesirable, but standing against their abuses of power are the libraries, with their special agents called ‘the book soldiers.’
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Maybe you should move the In the year 2019 line.

Plot Summary: The explosion of information and misinformation became a direct threat to society. In a daring decision, it was decided to create a new government agency dedicated solely to information management. In the year 2019 now some thirty years later, the government still monitors and controls information, suppressing anything they find undesirable, but standing against their abuses of power are the libraries, with their special agents called ‘the book soldiers.’

Excellent suggestion. I have edited the existing plot summary, and it now reads:
Quote:

In a slightly different timeline than ours, the explosion of information and misinformation came to be considered a direct threat to society. In a daring decision, it was decided to create a new government agency dedicated solely to information management. Some thirty years later, in 2019, the government still monitors and controls information, suppressing anything they find undesirable, but standing against their abuses of power are the libraries, with their special agents called ‘the book soldiers.’

- abunai
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
The last scene where spoiler[Kasahara's "prince charming" is revealed to her] is priceless.

Ha ha! That was just great! Laughing I was wondering spoiler[how she'd react to that if she ever found out but I guess we know now. Wink]

Well even though it really isn't hard to follow at at all, there were still a few things that I misunderstood from last episode that were cleared up for me this time. Anime smile + sweatdrop I don't know, I guess I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been or something....... That was interesting though, admitedly it sounded to me like spoiler[Tezuka's idea didn't actually sound all that bad so I was wondering why everyone was hating on him so much, but then all of a sudden he lays this "it will take about 10 or 20 years" bullcrap on us. I'm glad Iku fought against it like she did. She's right, it's much better to fight for what freedoms you have now instead of give it all up and wait that long for it to actually happen.]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I liked the character development in this last episode. And I can see a Tezuka and Shibasaki pairing.

And yes, I do have my wish! I really like Shibasaki; she's intelligent, private, has integrity, and knows how to handle her men.

Now all Dojou and Kasahara need is a push, but I can't see them getting together anytime soon. They're both too embarrassed.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, the end of episode 11 totally killed me! spoiler[Or more accurately, killed Genda. He was totally shot and now Doujou's life is in great danger, too! Shocked I hope nothing seriously bad happens to him because I've loved watching the relationship between Doujou and Iku these past few episodes. What an interesting battle that was at the end, too.]

Can't wait for the finale! Anime hyper
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, that whole last sequence of that episode really was just intense! Darn cliffhangers! Mad I also hope spoiler[Dojou will be able to pull this one through, it'd be a real darn shame for him and Iku to develop like they have only to have one of them die in the end. Sad]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
what an adorable ending. I still could have used a Shibasaki and Tezuka pairing, although I think that was hinted at. However the photos of Dojou and Kasahara were so cute. An all-around feel good show, if lacking on the reasonable/premise end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7