• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Frontier.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
spoiler[What the heck was the connection between the Bird Human the Varja?!]

It states a connection. spoiler[Grace, "With the power even the protoculture feared, adored and defied, to the extent of imitating its form. The super-dimensional life form, Varja!" The imitating its form part shows the scene from Macross Zero which means that the Birdman from Zero is a copy of the Varja Queen Grace took over.]
bloodlust15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
I think the picture in the ring was ranka's mother.. isn't that ranka is one-quarter zentradi? she may be Bilrer's grand daugther or something.. just a speculation.. but the series was great and i like the shot when brera and alto joined forces.. what a cool scene! Cool
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
i personally found the last episode to be "ok". i mean it was fun to watch, but it didn't really have any impact overall. the last battle felt more like a glorified idol concert. instead of being epic, it felt very cheesy at times. overall i thought this series was great, but i felt like there could've been more resolve. hopefully the movie is good.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
bloodlust15 wrote:
I think the picture in the ring was ranka's mother.. isn't that ranka is one-quarter zentradi? she may be Bilrer's grand daugther or something.. just a speculation.. but the series was great and i like the shot when brera and alto joined forces.. what a cool scene! Cool

No, there's no speculation needed. Anyone who has seen SDF Macross will recognize that as the picture of spoiler[Linn Minmei]. Now just why he has her picture in a ring is a much bigger and better question, isn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
spoiler[What the heck was the connection between the Bird Human the Varja?!]

It states a connection. spoiler[Grace, "With the power even the protoculture feared, adored and defied, to the extent of imitating its form. The super-dimensional life form, Varja!" The imitating its form part shows the scene from Macross Zero which means that the Birdman from Zero is a copy of the Varja Queen Grace took over.]

So the spoiler[Protoculture attempted to replicate the Varja, and that replication attempt was dumped on Earth leading to the events of Macross Zero?] I can buy that, explains a lot too.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
Holy #### that was incredible. Best series finale ever.

Now what am I going to watch? Wink
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
Watched the ending yesterday. I wouldn't say it's the best episode in the series, but they certainly went all out with the 3D CG, as expected. It'll be nice if the movie answers some of the questions left, and I don't mean the spoiler[love triangle. That reset ending was just meh. I want to know what happens between hunams and vajra now. It was the vajra's planet after all that Frontier invaded.] Grace didn't die horribly enough IMO.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
Finally got to see the ending, and I was pleased. I don't mind that spoiler[they didn't pick a side in the love triangle. It would have been nice, but I'm not dying to know.]

Seeing Macross Frontier has really made me want to see the other Macross shows. I'm going to have to do some looking in to that.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
As for the Vajra, spoiler[I got the impression that was settled to a reasonable degree. The Vajra are a hive mind, no politics, they either all like you or they all don't. I got the impression from Ranka that once they understood humanity, they liked us well enough, and would live with us in peace. ]

As for the love triangle, spoiler[I almost thought for a while there that they would get the ultimate triangle ending, namely that he would get both, but alas, not quite to be. Sad Still, I'm ok with how they left it, it wasn't nearly as blegh and status quo as most triangle shows leave you with. He at least left the impression that he's chosen Sheryl and that if Ranka has a shot, it's an uphill one. ]

That episode was just so brilliantly done though, every thirty seconds there was a "holy ####!" moment, as someone did somethign completely crazy, and they manage to tie the music in beautifully, and give EVERY character a moment to truly shine and play a major role in things, even the dead ones. What more could you ask for?

Besides, how cool was it that it turned out that spoiler[the second opening was almost exactly the climax of the ending?] Wink
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have much to say about the ending that hasn't already been said, which...is why I haven't said anything until now. Pretty solid episode, good ending to a good show. But I'm surprised no one has mentioned the part toward the end when they basically wrap up some major story points by having Ranka just tell us what happened. Weak. Felt way too rushed or lazy or both. This is a visual medium, it's not a novel. Show the story, don't just tell it. If they had to cram it in because they ran out of time, then they didn't pace the rest of the series well enough. It was like Kawamori had all these ideas early on about the background of the Vajra and how he would wrap up the story, and then it was episode 25 and he realized he hadn't worked any of this stuff in yet and the story wouldn't make sense without it, so he just quickly had Ranka voice it over to us -- it even felt like she was talking to us, the viewers, and not to any other character in particular, though Kawamori may have intended for her to be talking to Alto. Just a horrible part of the episode, the one true disappointment.

And on just a ridiculous fanboy note, I do kind of wish that the part where they showed Vajra defolding around Earth and the Macross 11 fleet, that they could have worked in Eden and Macross 7 somehow too, just because. I mean the episode was already pretty ridiculous on the Macross fanservice and that was awesome, but it wouldn't have killed them to go just a little farther over the top, I think. That one's a very, very minor quibble though.

Overall still a pretty cool episode, but Ranka's voice over really bothered me.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Does Macross 11 have any significance? Or is it just "Random Macross Colonization Fleet #11"?

Cause I found it kinda weird that they didn't use Macross 7 (granted I haven't watched all of Macross 7, so I don't know if City 7 is still out there, or if they colonized at the end of its series)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Macross 11 is where Fire Bomber American and their manager, Linn Kaifun are based.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Macross 11 is where Fire Bomber American and their manager, Linn Kaifun are based.

Ah. I really should force myself to plow through Macross 7 for completeness sake.

Granted knowing that Linn Kaifun is in it doesn't help. He was the worst SDF-Macross character. Seriously, I wanted to put my fist through my TV screen every time he was in a scene.
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Holy #### that was incredible. Best series finale ever.

Now what am I going to watch? Wink

Gundam 00 Season 2......more mecha the merrier....
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But I'm surprised no one has mentioned the part toward the end when they basically wrap up some major story points by having Ranka just tell us what happened. Weak. Felt way too rushed or lazy or both. This is a visual medium, it's not a novel. Show the story, don't just tell it.

Eh, most of what Ranka explained was Vajra stuff that would be difficult if not impossible to convey through mime. I didn't have problem with that amount of exposition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 47 of 49