• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hana Yori Dango

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
So, I have started reading this series, after having watched the J-Drama featuring Inoue Mao. The series is amusing. For the most part it seems to run along the lines of what the drama had to offer, but there were obviously details here and there that were changed. Such as spoiler[the involvement of Tsukushi's family, Tsukasa's hairstyle, the fact that Tsukushi got the red tag of death while in the drama she didn't, and her "friend" who had been the ugly girl in grade school.]

Still, I have found the series to be fun to read. While it does somewhat incorporate the ijime themes that are ever present in Life, it lacks the ever serious approach and emotional connection that Life gives you when dealing with the characters. This series is more of the comedy genre, in which it most certainly presents, with some dramatic and slice of life elements also present. I would have to go back and look at whether it's been released over here. But, if it has, I would recommend it for sure. I've only read the first six volumes, but I know for a fact that the manga does have over thirty volumes in the series.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the anime right now. And I'm enjoying that. I wasn't sure if I was going to but TRSI was offering a good price on the bundle and I took a chance.

The anime series is long - I think there are 12 DVDs altogether. And the 30+ manga series is making me hesitant to buy it...I don't have that much room. My poor manga bookcase is already full.

Have you seen the anime? If you have, how close is it to the manga series so far?
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Have you seen the anime? If you have, how close is it to the manga series so far?

It was similar till the last few episodes or so. That takes you to around volume 17 or 18.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Unfortunately for me, no. Like I said all I have seen is the drama, but it would definetly be something to look into the anime. However, my bank account at the moment is probably not so willing, so I'll have to sit on how I manage my money over the course of a couple months, especially with AX coming up.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
I read volume one of the manga after watching both seasons of the Japanese drama. All and all, it was still fun, but I agree with Lydia that it's just really long and I bit more of an investment than I really want to make for something that I like quite a bit but do not full out love (I'll keep my money for NANA).
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I would have to go back and look at whether it's been released over here. But, if it has, I would recommend it for sure. I've only read the first six volumes, but I know for a fact that the manga does have over thirty volumes in the series.

Yeah, it's been released over here by Viz under the translated title "Boys Over Flowers" (with "Hana Yori Dango" on there as a subtitle). I bought and read the first 3-4 volumes and, like you, I liked it quite a bit. I ended up buying a ton more, maybe up through 11 or 12, at a sale but haven't read them yet.

And Viz is still releasing the series...Vol. 29 just came out this week. Looks like it's 36 volumes total, according to the encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
And Viz is still releasing the series...Vol. 29 just came out this week. Looks like it's 36 volumes total, according to the encyclopedia.

I know, a good part of the last half of the English release dates were submitted by me after I looked and found that they were releasing them. 36 volumes must have meant that high school was slow or something for the gang.
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Heh, it didn't even cover a full year x_x
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Heh, it didn't even cover a full year x_x

Hmm, somewhat different than from what I would expect from a series that is based in school. With what series I have read so far, they usually end when everybody graduates. That's interesting. 36 volumes!? Shocked
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
It ends with the spoiler[F4's graduation]. They were already seniors at the start of the manga.

Last edited by Zoe on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
It ends with spoiler[the F4's graduation]. They were already seniors at the start of the manga.

Next time please spoiler tag the first part please! Anyways, the story really carries out, I hope it's worth it in the end.

Last edited by fighterholic on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I was just confirming what you were saying. I'd edit it, but you quoted it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1