• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Druaga Now Available in Global Streams, Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
For teenagers that bitch and moan about spending money, they're willing to throw away $30 for what could've been used to buy a boxed set . >.> *siiigh.*

People, spending money on supporting anime? I don't think we should be complaining about this kind of thing happening.

No, supporting illegal content, in ways that DON'T support anime. That's why I had made that comment.

It's okay, I'm not worried about that anymore, though.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
It was very funny, but it sucked as the first ep for a new series. If ep 2 is not any better, im not going to watch this one anymore...

On the other hand... Blassreiter is AWESOME!!!!
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
PlatinumHawke wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
For teenagers that bitch and moan about spending money, they're willing to throw away $30 for what could've been used to buy a boxed set . >.> *siiigh.*

People, spending money on supporting anime? I don't think we should be complaining about this kind of thing happening.

No, supporting illegal content, in ways that DON'T support anime. That's why I had made that comment.

It's okay, I'm not worried about that anymore, though.

Wait, so paying for a legal download is in some way supporting illegal content?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Blassreiter is AWESOME!!!!

Seriously? Blassreiter's first episode was incredibly weak. The CG didn't look all that great, and the overuse of it certainly didn't help. Not to mention the boring characters, groan-inducing dialogue and predictable storyline. The next episode doesn't look too promising either, but I think I'll give the series at least an episode or two to get better. I really would like to finish the majority of the titles I start this season.

Druaga's first episode, though, was quite the pleasant surprise. Man, I may have laughed a little TOO much. I hope the rest of the series is as funny as the first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

Wait, so paying for a legal download is in some way supporting illegal content?

*Yawn.* No.

And don't press into it anymore, this was a response to someone else's post back a page before hand, and I just didn't feel like bringing it back up. Stop misunderstanding it and shove it under the rug, I just didn't feel like repeating or explaining myself any further, since the thread kept moving with other posts.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Er...OK, then. Whatever you say. Rolling Eyes
BenBrown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
TLDR?: I'm going to shoot somebody if I have to read another sentence over at crunchyroll with a ~ at the end of it while I try to find out how they're splitting their "donations."

So far I've been incredibly disappointed with everything other than the youtube version of the stream. It expands to fill my window and the control bar is very unobtrusive. Quality sucked though.

The stream player over at crunchy roll doesn't expand to fill your entire screen, it just doubles in size, so no way to make it not look stupid watching in a browser on my TV.

The stream player was not much better over at Bost TV, it actually filled the screen... except that the controls don't autohide when you're not moving your mouse around, and THEY'RE FREAKING HUGE. Also they split the stream into six parts, it auto-advanced to the next section but it didn't look like it was buffering that section, so their overworked servers couldn't keep up Sad

Download over at Bost was easy to do, and their first free samples were easy to get to, the quality was iPod video at best so that part wasn't very nice.

Download at Crunchyroll was a pain in the ass for me to get to, I wasn't able to get paypal to work, it kept saying that I was "avoiding proper site flow" when I tried to check out with paypal from the order screen. Also I tried to do the 0.00 (just 0 apparently isn't a good enough number) just to see if I could get it for free, or a "donation" of nothing if you will. I wasn't able to check out at all until I went up to 2.00, others have been successful at 0.00 so I don't know what I was doing wrong. At least the quality seems to be pretty good, but the 60k that I was getting downstream from crunchyroll sucks compared to the usual 200k that I get on torrents.

So pretty satisfying that they actually got it done, but big fail on the technical implementation all around in my opinion.

Does anyone have any information on how crunchyroll is divvying up the "donations" that they're getting? How much of this is actually going back to Gonzo? And does anyone know how Gonzo contracted the deal with them? People keep saying they "donated" to help out Gonzo, I really hope they money is actually going back there, that would be a nice kick in the balls when crunchyroll comes out and says they've been keeping all of it and Gonzo gets the shaft like they do from Japanese networks.
Unearthly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
BenBrown wrote:
The stream player over at crunchy roll doesn't expand to fill your entire screen

Right click on video, 'Full Screen'.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Just for reference, though the PayPal link still won't work for me on CrunchyRoll, the normal checkout via credit card did (this is from Australia).
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
BenBrown wrote:
So far I've been incredibly disappointed with everything other than the youtube version of the stream. It expands to fill my window and the control bar is very unobtrusive. Quality sucked though.

If you add &fmt=18 to the end of the Youtube URL you'll get better quality. Trust me it works. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vgQ6WJ8zhQ&fmt=18
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
LOL that made no sense at all but it was funny as hell
Hidari-san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
For the record, I severely doubt that was a teenager who complained about being broke. No one who complains about lack of money would seriously be dumb enough to pay DOUBLE the Japanese price for a show that's only a video file.

they would be dumb enough to run a bunch of clubs begging for anime to be unlicensed so they can continue to watch it through streams.

.....You don't know how crazy teens can get? Oye, you are one aren't you?

They're showing their support. Like a thumbs up to support this method of being able to watch anime legally and in a timely manner.
I doubt if teenagers can afford to give $30 for one episode even if they are dumb enough or unpredictable enough as you seem to think.
BenBrown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Unearthly wrote:
BenBrown wrote:
The stream player over at crunchy roll doesn't expand to fill your entire screen

Right click on video, 'Full Screen'.

Ah, nice. Sneaky flash players
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
That new service from Gonzo is a really great thing but unfortunately it doesn't make their works better.

Druaga was boring except for the hotblooded parts Hiroyuki Imaishi animated near the end of the episode.

It can't be helped. You know that good animators are stretched thin in Japan. At least it's nice to see Hiroyuki Imaishi part on that show.
Yeah, I'm not sure if his animation can save the whole show. It's like one of those B-grade movie with big name star in it. It feels like Gonzo always end up getting second rate artists and writers.

I'm not a Gonzo fan, but at least I can give them credit for doing something new for their business.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5