• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blassreiter (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Courbet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote

Blassreiter (TV)

Genres: action, drama, horror, science fiction
Themes: religion, shapeshifting, superpowers

Plot Summary: Faced with an outbreak of demonic blood, which transforms humans into insane and hideous creatures bent on violence and death, only one man can stand against the tide of destruction. Joseph Jobson, the only man able to control his cursed demonic form, must hunt down the man who cursed him and save the world from apocalypse.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

As I haven't seen a Blassreiter thread yet, concerning Gonzo's new series, I thought it would be a good time to open one. If one already exists, please delete this post.

Personally I enjoyed Blassreiter more than I did the first episode of Druaga mainly because Blassreiter delivered what it promised in the trailers - mature orientated action, no cutesy characters and some cool 'mecha' battles. Druaga promised epic and turned out to be Dragonhalf instead - lol Smile

Not too much to say yet about the series itself, need to watch another one or two episodes for that, however major characters have been introduced, nothing is stricking me as irritating at the moment, well apart from Gonzo's usual CGI which just doesnt gel with the animation very well(minor gripe), so looking foward to the next couple of episodes to decide wether its worth continuing to watch this series Smile
Ultenth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
So far It doesn't look as bad as Dragonaut, which is about as backhanded of a complement as I can think of. Seriously though, I'll give it a couple more episodes, as the CG wasn't nearly as horrible and grating as dragonaut (but still rather pitiful at times), nor were the breasts as ridiculously large and distracting, which leads me to believe they may actually be relying on trying to have a plot instead. I shall wait an see, but overall I still enjoyed Druaga more, since there haven't been many good satire comedies coming out lately, other than Gintama, and it made me laugh a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Blassreiter's Itano circus looks horrible in comparison to the new series from the franchise that made it.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Blassreiter's Itano circus looks horrible in comparison to the new series from the franchise that made it.

Well that is to be expected, but overall the show doesn't look quite as bad as Dragonaut did, but I still think they should hold off on trying to do CG anime until they can actually get it right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
Gonzo's flagship Fall show in Kurogane no Linebarrel actually looks to have very high production values from the trailer they showed at Tokyo Anime Fair. While not as good as Frontier it's leagues above the CG used in Blassreiter/Dragonaut.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first episode of Blassreiter was very weak. The overuse of not-terrible-but-not-great-either CG really bugged me to no end. Not to mention the episode was bland and predictable. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't even finish the first episode without puking all over the place from too much LOL GONZO CG animation. Seriously guys, it's too much and you've never attempted to make it not look like crap. Severely detrimental animation really does hurt the show because it makes it a pain to watch. I'm not bashing when shows are stylistic, because that's generally awesome, but Gonzo proves once again they're completely devoid of any style or originality and proceed to crank out low quality suckfests. I weep for the company that licenses this, if they ever do.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
I really hate the CG, there is just something about it that kills a show, This won't be the first time I pas up a series because of this. As for the story, well motorcycles and racing arn't for me so I don't see myself liking this at all, even if it becomes more of a side story. I'm dropping, and that doesn't happen to ofter. Now their other series, druega or whatever, I kinda liked it so I'll keep watching that one.
Doc Tater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
I have to say, it doesn't really look all that bad- but then again, I haven't watched Dragonaut (I HATE fanservice), and my exposure to Blassreiter was only its trailer.

Seriously though, while Gonzo's been a little on the sucky side lately, I'm willing to give them a chance.
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
I rather enjoyed Blassreiter, myself. Certainly the transition to CG from normal animation and back again was not the smoothest, but that doesn't bother me too much usually. I thought it looked decent enough. I think hardly anyone would be or was surprised when spoiler[Gerd showed up again, ambulatory], but I also think the manner in which it was resolved was not really anticipated. I enjoyed the action sequences quite a bit, and am hoping for a good story and some intrigue to go along with spoiler[Gerd's "cure"] as well as in regards to the Demoniacs. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this series.

The first episode also reminded me of BGC Tokyo 2040 and Tokko to a certain extent. For me, these are not bad things for it to be connected to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
Eh, iot looked a bit like it tried to hard to be cool, and overshot about half the time. The whole whhelchair issue pushed past dramatic into melodrama as well. I did like the part where they were hunting Voldo down with careful tactics though, even given their limited success. The animation was solid, also the CG was hit or miss, some fitting, other parts sticking out like a sore thumb.

Overall I thik this is a series that I'll pick up and watch when I run out of episodes of One Piece, Nartuo, Bleach, D.Gray-Man, Druaga, Macross Frontier, Mnemosyne, Hitman Reborn (once the filler ends), and To-Love-Ru to watch.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I did like the part where they were hunting Voldo down with careful tactics though, even given their limited success.

LOL, So I'm not the only one that thought that huh?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
After watching the second episode (which was marginally better than the first) I'm dropping this series for good. I just can't believe how awful this series is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
After the first three episodes I have to say that I actually find this to be of a higher quality than Druaga as far as writing goes. Blassreiter's definitely aimed at a higher demographic. The only thing that bugs me is the Japanese dub, the subs sound so much more dramatic while the dub simply goes on and on. Anyway, it's shaping up to be fairly interesting, reminds me of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" or "Gungrave." I'm interested in seeing how far they go into one's connection or nonconnection with others racially.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
This one certainly did not gain too much popularity... I wonder why...

I have just watched the first episode, and I am quite confused really. On the one hand, the CGI IS quite irritating. It looks quite artificial all in all. And the spoiler[deus ex machina appereance of the main character in the form of an allmighty God-only-knows-what-it-was-supposed-to-be at the end of the eppie] supported by the omnipresent "Who the hell is that?" and "How is that even possible?" exclamations of the witnesses would have made me raise my eyebrows by a few inches, if that was physically possible.

But I actually wonder of they managed the plot better later on. It did not seem that terrible to be honest, I would judge it quite decent action-sci-fi series just by looking at the first episode...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2