• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Acquires Dokuro-chan Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I am happy that Media Blasters will receive another source of revenue, but isn't this series as "bad" as Kodomo No Jiken?

I also heard this series was quite violoent and had crass jokes. I just hope Media Blasters will license the second season of Genshiken soon.

I really hope this isn't as bad as people have told me this series is, but I am probably not going to watch this series though.
mt-i

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
Everyone pray for dvd extras.

Skull Panties
Excalibog key chain
plushies of classmates transformed into animals
There are so many possibilities Smile

A two-sided Dokuro-chan pillow case. With bumps on Excaliborg.

Oh, two pages already and nobody's predicted that some tabloid will catch sight of this and bring down the US anime industry? On my ANN? Maybe Answerman needs to raise some awareness or something.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Holy...
Epic news is Epic !

Can't wait to get my hands on this.
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh God, I remember seeing a clip of this on youtube. It was so absurd I'll have to pick this up to know what the heck was going on. Media Blasters does a pretty good job of picking up titles in my opinion and keeping prices low due to the inexpensive nature of the titles and their sub-only format like they've done with Strawberry Panic & Kashimashi. $20 msrp is a deal considering they're not hard to find on sale for even less. I suppose that all doesn't matter too much if you prefer dubs, but it makes me happy =) Now I'm just afraid of what I'm going to see watching the entire thing...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
but isn't this series as "bad" as Kodomo No Jiken?

Oh really? Like in a gross way? I hadn't heard that. If true, then I will not be as interested as previously stated. I thought it was just violent tasteless slapstick gags in good fun. Like Puni Puni Poemi. (which stretched the line a bit, but in a way that everyone still realized that it was wrong, or at least supposed to be)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
i see no reason for a dub. it certainly wouldnt be to show it on TV-- what was the last comedy that made it on? Tenchi Muyo?
This may come as a shock to you but some of us do prefer English dubbed anime because, for various reasons, we don't like watching anime in Japanese while reading sub-titles. It doesn't have much to do with whether a series will be on TV or not, it has to do with maximizing the possible number of fans who can enjoy the series.

Maybe you sub fans should try to remember that while you will almost NEVER have to worry about whether there will or will not be a Japanese track with a sub, unless the show is a kids series, we dub fans are constantly having our hopes crushed as of late. Please, think of your fellow fans every now and then.

And if this gets an English dub I am so buying it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is a major surprise, but a pleasant one. I never would have expected this one to be licensed, and will most certainly get the DVD when it comes out.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am happy that Media Blasters will receive another source of revenue, but isn't this series as "bad" as Kodomo No Jiken?

I also heard this series was quite violent and had crass jokes. I just hope Media Blasters will license the second season of Genshiken soon.

That's true, but how does that make it as "bad" as Kodomo No Jiken? The latter is disturbingly edgy; this one is just supremely silly. (Gods, just wait until the uninitiated see what happens to angels who get their halos stolen. . . Embarassed )

I, for one, would like to hear this one dubbed. Very little of its humor was specifically Japanese, so there'd be little adaptation needed, and it shouldn't be hard to find appropriate VAs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CakeStealer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Shocked
Wow!

I never thought Dokuro-chan would get liscensed. Oh well. I wonder how it will sell?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I sure hope it receives no dub.
What does it matter? It's not like you're forced to listen to it, and it only takes what, two or three clicks of the remote to change audio and subtitles on the fly? And what does the time delay matter? It was originally released and fansubbed three years ago, what difference does a couple of months make in the R1 release?
loka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I thought it was just violent tasteless slapstick gags in good fun. Like Puni Puni Poemi. (which stretched the line a bit, but in a way that everyone still realized that it was wrong, or at least supposed to be)

fear not, for it is certainly no worse than Puni Puni Poemi.

and i have nothing against a dub being made.
ani12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Never saw this coming. Oh well, I have been waiting to see this series for a while.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
but isn't this series as "bad" as Kodomo No Jiken?

Oh really? Like in a gross way? I hadn't heard that. If true, then I will not be as interested as previously stated. I thought it was just violent tasteless slapstick gags in good fun. Like Puni Puni Poemi. (which stretched the line a bit, but in a way that everyone still realized that it was wrong, or at least supposed to be)

The "worst thing" that I can remember from the series was the odd panty shot or two from a female main character who's the same age (well, she's an angel, so maybe not, but you get what I mean...) as the male lead. Oh, and the occasional outset of over-the-top violence and gore. In other words, it's no worse than 50% of the entire continuum of anime productions. Razz
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
and i have nothing against a dub being made.
I didn't mean to imply you did. You don't seem like one of those elitist fans who seem to take a perverse pleasure in denigrating other fans. Just wanted to mention that we English dub fans are anime fans too and would like to be able to enjoy this series in our preferred language just as much as sub fans want to watch it in Japanese.
rekishi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
loka wrote:
i see no reason for a dub. it certainly wouldnt be to show it on TV-- what was the last comedy that made it on? Tenchi Muyo?
This may come as a shock to you but some of us do prefer English dubbed anime because, for various reasons, we don't like watching anime in Japanese while reading sub-titles. It doesn't have much to do with whether a series will be on TV or not, it has to do with maximizing the possible number of fans who can enjoy the series.

Maybe you sub fans should try to remember that while you will almost NEVER have to worry about whether there will or will not be a Japanese track with a sub, unless the show is a kids series, we dub fans are constantly having our hopes crushed as of late. Please, think of your fellow fans every now and then.

And if this gets an English dub I am so buying it.

quoted for epic truth...

i would have liked to get maria watches over us, kashimashi girl meets girl and emma... but seeing as they all got sub only release... i haven't wanted to get them at all...

for some of us out there... when a series we like or want to see, gets released on DVD... sub only... we feel cheated... it's like a slap in the face from the company licencing it, fundimentally saying "we don't care what you want..."...

and when other anime fans pipe up with things like "i hope this doesn't get a dub" it is even more of a slap in the face, and it's almost hurtful... i understand you want to get it on DVD as soon as possible... but, haven't you already seen it fansubbed?(and don't lie)... surely you can wait a little while longer so that all of your fellow anime fans can be catered for... i want it on DVD as well, as quickly as possible... but not at the cost of it being released properly and fairly...

i have nothing but praise for the likes of ADV, Funimation and Bandai Visual (and geneon before they died), who, despite how much it costs, how long it takes, or how difficult it is, are sticking to their guns and not letting their standards slip... catering to all anime fans by releasing their series with A quality dubs... even the 'bad dubs' are better than no dub...

and before the onslaught of retaliation and flames regarding this post are posted, please stop and think of your fellow anime fans out there... we're not asking for much, only for your patience, support and understanding...

Last edited by rekishi on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Panda Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Holy poop on a stick! I thought that when Geneon (who helped producing Dokuro-chan) went under, this series would never see the light of day over here.

Actually, it was only Geneon USA that went under. But still nice to see people wanting this. I loved it when I watched it. Though, I hope media blaster does like they did with Otoboku, which by the way has it's first vol. being released on June 24. I just want a sub mainly because I think they are more accurate and the price of the dvd will go down.

I do know there are some that refuse to watch a subbed anime, but really, why would that stop you from watching something you enjoy?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6