• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Film Star Jean Reno Returns as Doraemon in New Ad

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed an inconsistency in these commercials compared to the actual series.

In the September 9, 2011 episode, Nobita asks Doraemon to pull out a car for him to participate in the Galaxy Car Race, but both Doraemon and his sister Dorami tell him they can't because the only things they keep in their pockets are things they can buy at the 22nd century department store.

So in the second CM, why did Doraemon say he the only reason he couldn't pull out a car was because Nobita doesn't have a driver's license?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Youtube link for the 3rd ad: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGC69eNpUn0
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
I just noticed an inconsistency in these commercials compared to the actual series.

In the September 9, 2011 episode, Nobita asks Doraemon to pull out a car for him to participate in the Galaxy Car Race, but both Doraemon and his sister Dorami tell him they can't because the only things they keep in their pockets are things they can buy at the 22nd century department store.

So in the second CM, why did Doraemon say he the only reason he couldn't pull out a car was because Nobita doesn't have a driver's license?

A wizard did it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mirri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:

Maybe, rather than "couldn't"/"can't", he meant "wouldn't"/"won't" - I can't guarantee my interpretation is the least bit accurate though. Not a Japanese speaker.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Maybe, rather than "couldn't"/"can't", he meant "wouldn't"/"won't" - I can't guarantee my interpretation is the least bit accurate though. Not a Japanese speaker.

I guess it's possible he meant "wouldn't" or "won't". The word he used was "dame" which basically means "no".

Japanese is really vague...
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Mirri wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

I guess it's possible he meant "wouldn't" or "won't". The word he used was "dame" which basically means "no".

Japanese is really vague...

Yeah, Japanese can be a lot more connotative than denotative, and oftentimes meaning can be more suggested contextually than a mechanical translation.

From my experience, "dame" basically means "no good", and can be used in a variety of contexts with a variety of interpretations. You can say your landlord is a "dame-na ningen" or no-good person... You can also say "nani-wo yattemo dame-nanda", that no matter what you do it won't work out (is no good). In conversation, simply saying "dame" in response to someone implies disagreement with something they've said or course of action they suggest, a reprove that their idea is no good, won't work out or is perhaps impossible.

So in the context of the conversation:

Nobita: How awful... So I need a car after all... Crying or Very sad
*DoRenoMon pops out of desk drawer*
Nobita: DoRenoMon! Surprised
DoRenoMon: Nobita-kun, it's been a while Very Happy
Nobita: DoRenoMon, give me a car! Razz
DoRenoMon: Sorry, that won't work out. Confused
Nobita: Why? Shocked
DoRenoMon: You don't have a license. Cool
Nobita: A license, huh? Rolling Eyes
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
are you serious bro?!

really got wonder how many more of these they got wonder IF really lead in someday to actual live action doraemon tv special?

yea this getting more WHAT?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1