• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bilingual J-Pop artists?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I've just wondered, anyone know of any? In this case, I mean the singer is not just blurting out random engrish every phrase or so, or even does a whole song in grammaticly incorrect engrish. I mean does anyone know of any artists that are quite fluent in both english and japanese? Having released at least one english album helps as well.

The only one I can name off the top of my head is Dreams Come True, and oh god, I love them. I love them to pieces. I love them.

=D

Yeah. So anyone?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru Utada, Mari Iijima, and BOA are the only ones I can think of right now...Soulhead's working on it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm not too sure, but Maaya Sakamoto sung the Wolf's Rain ED in English, and she didn't sound too bad. I'm not sure if she's done anything else in English though.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Mayaa Sakamoto sings a lot in English.

In other singer... I can't think of anymore.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kubota Toshinobu, hiro

Halfs:

OLIVIA, Crystal Kay, Lori Fine, AI
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:30 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Mayaa Sakamoto sings a lot in English.

Great! She's my favorite female singer. She kind of reminds me of a girl I had a crush on in high school. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

But that has nothing to with it! Rolling Eyes Arrow Embarassed
rektagunn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 am Reply with quote
BuriGuri (Brilliant Green, that is)....although they border on Engrish on some of the songs, they're good enough for me......and their songs ROCK anyway...

I personally think that a bit of Engrish in a Jpop / Jrock song has a certain charm to it..........I'm not sure how, but it just does. Maybe it makes the song more kawaii...... Wink
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
rektagunn wrote:
I'm not sure how, but it just does. Maybe it makes the song more kawaii...... :wink:

A bit ironic that you'd use a Japanese word to describe the English, eh? ;p
megami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:25 am Reply with quote
has anyone heard of Hirai Ken? I saw his video "Style" in animax musix and prior to that, I've heard him sing, his music is some kind of techno, he is a foreigner singing in nihonggo...

[EDIT - Don't use font size 24 when you post. -C]
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:15 am Reply with quote
I'm sure someone would tell you this eventually, so i'll say it now.

1) Don't use large text. Just, don't. If you want some type of uniqueness, change the color, but please use the normal font size.
2) No burning colors, please. Anime cry
3) Uhmmm, not exactly a rule, but don't use so many "japanese" terms (such as "nihonggo"). The main language here is english, and it basically kinda has to stay like this. Use common sence on what terms are used more often (for example, "kawaii" is generally excepted as cute, but "nihonggo" should basically be Japan in english. See how other people post.)
4) Use moderately correct grammar. Meaning try to capitalize a bit more often.

I don't know if I've forgotten any, but I'm sure someone else would bring some stuff up if I did. ^^;

Oh. And welcome. =P.

Don't make a bad first appearence like I did (even though I still feel what I did was justified =P), and you'll do fine. ^^;
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
A few years ago, TWO-MIX released a CD featuring English versions of their hit songs including "Just Communication" and "Rhythm Emotion."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Jump is a japanese rock band that sings in english that's at least as grammatically correct as most of the posts around here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Hotaru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote
haha. you can hardly tell they're singing in english. heehe.

anyway, hyde from l'arc~en~ciel sings in english a lot on his solo albums
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Just because they sing in English doesn't mean they speak a word of it. My Japanese is as basic as it gets, and I sing in Japanese with an excellent accent (or so I've been told). Plenty of Japanese artists have recorded English albums/versions/singles.

Hikaru Utada, Crystal Kay, Marc Panther(of Globe) and Yoshiki (X Japan, Globe) are the only artists who have demonstrated fluency in English that I've seen. There are a few others like the DJ for TRF that probably speak English because they are probably sons/daughters of US servicemen, but it's just not that common.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Just because they sing in English doesn't mean they speak a word of it. My Japanese is as basic as it gets, and I sing in Japanese with an excellent accent (or so I've been told). Plenty of Japanese artists have recorded English albums/versions/singles.

Hikaru Utada, Crystal Kay, Marc Panther(of Globe) and Yoshiki (X Japan, Globe) are the only artists who have demonstrated fluency in English that I've seen. There are a few others like the DJ for TRF that probably speak English because they are probably sons/daughters of US servicemen, but it's just not that common.

Miwa (and maybe Masato) of DCT is quite flluent. Enough that the band has done various english albums (in good english), done a few tours here, shown up on Time Magazine, and even preformed at the 9:30 Club in D.C.. They're simply amazing. =P

Sorry about the random repeat rant. =P.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2