• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New media, new horizons, and a new video player

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
The "view more" links from the video tab don't seem to be working. Otherwise, looks cool.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Using Nina to kill all the otherwise dead space in the navigator is a big plus ... the front video page being the first in over a month to glitch out is not so much. At least it only seems to be that one page, so manunally selecting a direction from the navigator and moving on clears everything up.

EDIT:
Quote:
Subscribers won't be able to avoid the ads, but will get access to a higher quality -- about DVD quality -- video stream.

... but the real benfit is you can avoid the ads OUTISDE the stream, such as the top banner (whose placement under the standard layout clips off the bottom of the player window after the entire page refreshes when clicking on a title.) Granted it's only a minor inconvenience to scroll down a line or two before hitting full-screen, but with only clips on launch, the number of times you start new content causes a cumulative effect that adds up fast when playing/testing it.

Last edited by bglassbrook on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
This entirely depends on the licensing terms for the content. The trailers and ANNtv should always stay there, but some series may only be displayed for a limited time. In that case the interface will show when the content expires, and there will be a list of which videos will expire soon.

That sounds fair. I know at the fansub panel at anime expo, the comment was made that not ALL shows are something worth owning forever. I'd hope for those shows, they would be willing at some point to put them up for keeps. I realize there may be licensing issues and what not. For shows that are not absolute Naruto-grade gold mines, I do hope maybe we can get ANN to host them. God knows you guys deserve this kind of thing, opposed to say Crunchyroll.

I mean, I understand it may be time for a different business model, but isn't it also unrealistic to play nice-nice with the pirates? ANN could easily be the alternative. Especially since on sites like Veoh and Youtube, people have a lot of trouble telling what is legal (not that there is much legal anime up) vs illegal. Since ANN won't be user generated, you won't be competing with your own bootlegs, ya know?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
Hmm, so could encyclopedia entries, for example, be linked to trailers or actual clips and episodes in the future? Or even video clips supporting reviews a la Buried Treasure?

We definitely plan to have links from each encyclopedia entry to the relevant trailer; it's just that we couldn't really do that before we announced the video service Wink

Will reciprocal links from the Encyclopedia to News be restored as well? They have been offline for almost two years, while some incorrect ones (links created back in early 2000's) could not be severed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
I also feel the need to say

a) This is awesome

b) Subs/dubs/both? I just cant bring myself to watch a dub, and having both keeps everyone happy...

but most of all

c) Please confirm my fantasies that this isnt just for the US only? Because I get shot down for this so many times....D:
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Very intruiging. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Congrats on the ten years, ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
If the video streaming is going to be actual full episodes, it will be very useful for those of us who don't always catch every release to watch an episode or two on our own time to decide if the effort of tracking down and buying the series is worth it. I approve.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Forum veterans should know what I'm trying to say.

I have no idea what you're trying to imply.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
c) Please confirm my fantasies that this isnt just for the US only? Because I get shot down for this so many times....D:

For our content it will always be world. For licensed content, it will depend on the license. Sadly I suspect most will be North America only, but we'll try for world.

Quote:
subs/dubs?

Subs or both.

-t
jettomanznt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
is the the to heart trailer only 15 sec?
99daniel99

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
cool. this makes me a happy camper. hope it will stream well on my slow and old computer. Smile
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
jettomanznt wrote:

Yep.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:24 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
jettomanznt wrote:

Yep.

What I couldn't understand about today is how you had to answer the same question more than three times today about how this service is going to be working both from the site's standpoint and for what convenience it will bring us as the community here. And I also do want to congratulate you guys on ten years in business!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote
Why do people keep misspelling "congratulations"............ Laughing

Maybe ANN should do ads like this: Wink

The ads, which appear 15 seconds after a user begins watching a video clip, take the form of an overlay on the bottom fifth of the screen, not unlike the tickers that display headlines during television news programs.

A user can ignore the overlay, which will disappear after about 10 seconds, or close it. But if the user clicks on it, the video they were watching will stop and a video ad will begin playing. Once the ad is over, or if a user clicks on a box to close it, the original video will resume playing from the point where it was stopped.
Draneor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote
Just to let you know, the trailer for Maburaho is actually the trailer for Mahoromatic. I thought you might want to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4