• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga cafes to be "adult only" at night in Tokyo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Bah! They'll just get some horny geeks jerking off to hentai. Why pay for something you can do at home? Unless they want to "size" each other up?
Jubei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, it doesn't sound that bad to me. Besides, what would underage kids being doing at a manga cafe after 11 PM anyway?
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I agree, its sounds more like an informal curfew than anything else. Heck, during the week I'm in bed by that time anyway; does anyone know if this is a 'school night' type thing, or is it all week?

Also BTW, does someone have a translation of it? Babel Fish mangled it big time.
Babel Fish Translation

Last edited by radicaledward on Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:44 pm Reply with quote
most cities I've been in have a curfew anyway for minors.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
flcl_123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Depends on what kinda things are at the cafe. If there is things that uncut anime and manga have then......hell i dont really give a crap..I dont live in Tokeyo
Abel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Well I have not seen very many minors in the net or manga centers. I normally am in one from 21:00 until 0:00 catching up on email and surfing. The one I go to is above a game center which already has a curfew. Everyone in the center is an adult. Most play RO, Starcraft, Diablo II, FF XI, Counter Strike or chat with friends online.

I can understand why cafes are popular. They are 24/7, offer in house food and drink, and are warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. Often some of the people in the cafe get a comfortable chair next to the terminal and sleep. I've done it once. It is cheaper then a hotel. It's a great option if you missed the last train and a cab ride would cost you 4 times the amount.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:24 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:

In Japan? Or in the US?

Curfews for minors, that such a foreign idea to me. Sure, parents often place curfews on minors, but I've never before heard of a city imposed curfew... Don't agree with the idea either.
Abel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
...but I've never before heard of a city imposed curfew... Don't agree with the idea either.

Most cities/suburbs have curfews. You just do not see them actively enforced. Minors must be accompanied by an adult past 22:00. Years ago in Monterey Park I was stopped by police and questioned why I was out past 22:00. They let me go after I explained I had left a friend's and was going home. L.A. has one as well. Pasadena recently came down on one of the last surviving arcades due to curfew violations. Now they have signs indicating minors are not allowed past 22:00. The arcade now no longer operates past midnight which is sad. -_-

Last edited by Abel on Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:

In Japan? Or in the US?

Curfews for minors, that such a foreign idea to me. Sure, parents often place curfews on minors, but I've never before heard of a city imposed curfew... Don't agree with the idea either.
US dont know about Japan probly same as here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
orobouros

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:04 am Reply with quote
Jubei wrote:
I don't know, it doesn't sound that bad to me. Besides, what would underage kids being doing at a manga cafe after 11 PM anyway?

I'd guess the same things adults are doing at a manga cafe after 11PM.

I wonder if this could be a reflection of the Japanese pressure for conformity; all underage persons should be home either studying or sleeping at that time.
vancemajere

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Great point! By the way, if anyone is interested in great deals on Robotech toys, I came across a new website www.blueforgegames.com which has really cheap prices for the newest Robotech toys.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Abel wrote:
Most cities/suburbs have curfews. You just do not see them actively enforced. Minors must be accompanied by an adult past 22:00.

Wow Anime smallmouth; that's so... odd.

So a 17 year old can't work at a convenience store past 10pm, or go see a late night movie or...

Quote:
Pasadena recently came down on one of the last surviving arcades due to curfew violations. Now they have signs indicating minors are not allowed past 22:00. The arcade now no longer operates past midnight which is sad. -_-

Most Montreal arcades actually have a *voluntary* policy of no minors, period. But this policy is voluntary. Many smaller public parks are also closed to everyone after 10pm, and I know this is the same throughout Canada.

I don't think we'd every see a law (or By-Law) here making it illegal for minors to be out at night without adult supervision. In fact, I think it would probably be against the Canadian Charter of Rights (just suposition mind you).

Quote:
US don't know about Japan probly same as here.
Obviously not. Now that I think about it, they wouldn't be talking about banning minors from certain places if the minors weren't allowed out at night. It'd be a redundancy.

None of the places I've been to in Europe have no rules about minors being out at night, but I've never travelled in the USA until after I was 18 (or 21, whatever, I still don't get that "you're an adult, but you're a minor" thing between 18 and 21), so it was never an issue. Although I don't know this for fact, my understanding of European society would suggest that none of the larger mainland countried would limit ateenagers rights to be out at night in that way (it'd be up to the parents to decide).

The USA is an odd place, so libertarian, yet it has laws like this... Anime smallmouth;
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, I googled the city I live in and found out that San Jose does, indeed, have a curfew for minors. Hmm, didn't know that. The times differ depending on how old you are (17 and 18 can stay out later). It looks like the laws are applied on a city level.

Tempest wrote:
The USA is an odd place, so libertarian, yet it has laws like this...

Ha! I think about 90% of the population will disagree about the Libertarian thing. Though, now that I think about it, this still makes sense since from a Libertarian POV since the laws are being applied at the regional level, and the Feds aren't involved.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:11 am Reply with quote
I think the concept around here (I live in the northern San Francisco Bay Area) is to prevent gangs from forming up--there is simply no reason for a minor to be out roaming the streets in most situations. Whether or not this idea is effective, I can't say. Curfew is generally not particularly enforced in the US unless there is strong evidence that something's amiss.

Shutting down an arcade sounds stupid, sure. I can't really say anything on whether or not closing out manga cafes is a good thing because I've never been to Japan. Hell, how many MC's would be expected to stay open that late? Is it a common practice?

Really, It's hard for me to even grasp the concept of a business catering to minors which would stay open that late in the first place.

PS--Canadians are, without a doubt, the nicest people I've ever met. Consistantly.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:40 am Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
Hell, how many MC's would be expected to stay open that late? Is it a common practice?

As Abel stated... they are generally 24/7, so it appears that they rarely close. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2