• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion DVD 1-2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And marking it down just because you hate the protagonist (who is undeniably the protagonist, unlike Light from Death Note or Shinn from Gundam SEED Destiny) is patently unfair. Go watch the Teletubbies or Care Bears if you want a happy series and one-shot characters.

Sounds like a perfectly excusable reason to me. My dislike for Lelouch is probably the main beef I have with the show from what I've seen so far (ep 9). I keep getting the feeling that the writers tried to construct a confident, cool, standoff-ish character but nearly all I took from it was he comes across as a bit of a prick; hardly a noir-like, conflicted anti-hero. He, like Light, becomes incredibly unrelatable as he seems to suffer from being a "perfect" character by excelling in just about everything. However, I never got the impression that Death Note wanted its audience to view Light as a sympathetic character, so it didn't really bother me in the way that it has with Code Geass.

Also, Zero's schemes so far seem to rely on convenience so much that they often contradict his so-called brilliance that the series seems to so blatantly put out there.

prime_pm wrote:
spoiler

I hate to bring attention to this... but could you possibly use a spoiler tag for this? It doesn't take much common sense to read between the lines there, so thanks buddy. Razz
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
Huh. Thought I made it as vague as possible. Sorry. Embarassed
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

I think we are using the word in different manners here. I'm not referring to adjustments for acting, but adjustments to vocal quality. Not all VAs have a great deal of range and while that can restrict which characters they can play, it doesn't make them bad actors.
That's merely another part of acting.

Quote:

Furthermore I'd say the VA should only "emulate" a performance of another VA if they can do so successfully. If this cannot be done due to difference of vocal qualities or other reasons, it is much more advantageous to create a new performance that stands on it's own merit. (It's worth mentioning that the expectations of the dub-listening audience are not always the same as that which watches fansubs).
I agree, but JYB didn't really even take the right kind of attitude for lelouche's character, especially when he goes into Zero mode. He got quiet at some points even o,o

Quote:

While I did not find JYB's performance to be awe inspiring, I did find it to appropriately convey the feelings of the character he was playing, and I think his base vocal qualities sound right for the character. I do not think JYB did a bad job. I wouldn't say he did nearly as good a job as Brad Swaile did as Light Yagami, or as well as he did in Trigun. But I think both of those were great performances and being less of that is far from bad, which seems to be what people are saying when they are talking about how JYB should quit now/etc.
I suppose you can look at it that way. But in face of the original VA is just seems pretty bad. This is the lead role after all. Liam O'brian's performance was so spot on that it sort've overshadows JYB's despite the relative minor role Lloyd plays in the show.

Quote:

I mean, you go nearly so far as to question JYB's character for this performance? Even if it's not as good as the original it is not anywhere near that bad.

I questioned his talent/ability not his character <.<

BleuVII wrote:
Babbo, to be fair to Sunrise, in the scene that you posted above, Lelouche purposely made an illegal move just to see how Prince Schneizel would react. Or was it the other way around? I can't remember.

Anyway, I took this show seriously the first season, until I realized what a grand mistake that was to do. When I started the second season, I thought, "Man... why do I keep watching this?" and yet I would tune in every week. When I finally made the connection that the series was supposed to redefine the word "bombastic," I started appreciating it for what it was. I mean [MASSIVE season 2 spoilers] spoiler[Lelouche Vi Britannia, the 99th Emperor of Britannia? And let's not forget that it turns out that Sayoko was actually a ninja in disguise. I love it!]

You know, I really, really wish it was that way. But the entire crowd that was watching the game in that scene bought it. Lelouch bought it too. The reason why they all got surprised is because they thought schneizzel was forfeiting the game by allowing lelouch to take is king... By um... Moving his king into check.
Haruhiist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
And the girl playing Nunnally...well, let's just say spoiler[I'm looking forward to R2's episode 19]

I can't stop thinking about Tachikomas whenever Nunnally talks.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:

Sounds like a perfectly excusable reason to me. My dislike for Lelouch is probably the main beef I have with the show from what I've seen so far (ep 9). I keep getting the feeling that the writers tried to construct a confident, cool, standoff-ish character but nearly all I took from it was he comes across as a bit of a prick; hardly a noir-like, conflicted anti-hero. He, like Light, becomes incredibly unrelatable as he seems to suffer from being a "perfect" character by excelling in just about everything. However, I never got the impression that Death Note wanted its audience to view Light as a sympathetic character, so it didn't really bother me in the way that it has with Code Geass.

I'd say Lelouch does have a few flaws, personal and otherwise, some of which should be apparent but they may become clearer as time goes on. Now that you mention it, being a bit of a prick counts as one of them, I'd say.

I wouldn't say he's incredibly deep or too complex as a character, not at all...but I distinctly see him as more of a human being than Light, precisely because there are things that do conflict him every so often. Which is what drew my attention to your post, curiously enough.

Quote:
Also, Zero's schemes so far seem to rely on convenience so much that they often contradict his so-called brilliance that the series seems to so blatantly put out there.

Convenience is right, but also some planning, even if it's not always treated appropriately or may not apply. Still, I understand why you would be bothered, since that's definitely a big part of those schemes. I have no problems with that myself, but then again I've gotten used to it, so I try to have a high suspension of disbelief.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Xanas wrote:

I think we are using the word in different manners here. I'm not referring to adjustments for acting, but adjustments to vocal quality. Not all VAs have a great deal of range and while that can restrict which characters they can play, it doesn't make them bad actors.
That's merely another part of acting.

I disagree. Someone can have good range and not be the best actor. Similarly, someone can have poor range in terms of vocal highs and lows and still have the capability of appropriately conveying emotion. They just have to do it differently than a person who does have those abilities. It doesn't make it less effective necessarily. Some could find the extreme highs and lows to be melodramatic (which I know people make the claim Zero needs to be more melodramatic, but I disagree with this).

Anyway, I think this whole question comes down to whether you are comfortable with dubs being a different performance from the original Japanese or whether you expect an attempt to emulate Japanese every time. I never have expected this, and so I don't get a sense of disappointment. The biggest reason I don't expect this is that I started out watching dubs (and liked them) instead of the other way around, so I don't carry the expectations here.

Quote:

I agree, but JYB didn't really even take the right kind of attitude for lelouche's character, especially when he goes into Zero mode. He got quiet at some points even o,o

"The right kind of attitude" is really another matter of opinion. Sure you could say "the author of the story prefers it in japanese" or somesuch, but as we should all know by now if someone writes a book the readers are going to imagine different things about character mannerisms and tone of voice. This is not a cut and dry matter.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
"The right kind of attitude" is really another matter of opinion. Sure you could say "the author of the story prefers it in japanese" or somesuch, but as we should all know by now if someone writes a book the readers are going to imagine different things about character mannerisms and tone of voice. This is not a cut and dry matter.

But you'll find it's different when animation or live action occurs first. It is much harder to reconstruct a personality or a landscape when we have seen it on screen than when we have read it in a book.

And besides, we are only talking about the dub here, not a alternative-universe story, a prequel or a sequel. The dub, if it's doing its job, will try to be as faithful to the original material as possible, not only in translation terms, but performance-wise as well. The dub for Code Geass simply fails on the second count. If the main character (among others) is horrible, with a brand new personality (and an inferior one at that), the dub fails. Though it might be acceptable to those who never listened to the original, I find it repulsive and barely tolerable.

The fact that Bosch's Lelouch sounds like Ichigo (someone with an almost completely different personality) just confirms it for me that my stance is correct.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The fact that Bosch's Lelouch sounds like Ichigo (someone with an almost completely different personality) just confirms it for me that my stance is correct.

Lelouch only sounds like Ichigo because JYB's playing both of them and they're both teenage boys. He's been giving Lelouch a harder, arrogant, more self-assured edge that he's never come close to using with Ichigo. And personally, I'd rather have an English voice actor who gives their own performance of how they interpret the character, rather than slavishly trying (and failing) to emulate an actor half a world away speaking a completely different language. Wanting the Japanese and English performances to sound as close to identical as possible would be like expecting every Shakespearean actor who plays Hamlet or Macbeth to portray the character in the same way. That's just not how acting works.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And besides, we are only talking about the dub here, not a alternative-universe story, a prequel or a sequel. The dub, if it's doing its job, will try to be as faithful to the original material as possible, not only in translation terms, but performance-wise as well.

I just flatly disagree with this set of statements. A dub "doing it's job" does it's best to convey to it's own audience the same story that the Japanese dub conveyed to it's audience. It has absolutely nothing to do with being faithful to the intonation or pitch of the original VA.

As far as "personality" goes, I'd disagree that JYB "acts like" Ichigo when he's playing Lelouch. He sounds the same, because that is his voice, but he does not act the same. He may not act like the original guy, but he does act appropriate to the mannerisms/look of the character in my opinion. Maybe you disagree, but that is purely a matter of personal opinion.

If the fundamental purpose of a dub is to do it's best to emulate the original, then a dub can never exceed the original. The only way to do this is for an actor to make his own performance that stands on it's merits. I'm not saying JYB has done that here, but he certainly hasn't done a bad job either.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I just flatly disagree with this set of statements. A dub "doing it's job" does it's best to convey to it's own audience the same story that the Japanese dub conveyed to it's audience. It has absolutely nothing to do with being faithful to the intonation or pitch of the original VA.

As far as "personality" goes, I'd disagree that JYB "acts like" Ichigo when he's playing Lelouch. He sounds the same, because that is his voice, but he does not act the same. He may not act like the original guy, but he does act appropriate to the mannerisms/look of the character in my opinion. Maybe you disagree, but that is purely a matter of personal opinion.

If the fundamental purpose of a dub is to do it's best to emulate the original, then a dub can never exceed the original. The only way to do this is for an actor to make his own performance that stands on it's merits. I'm not saying JYB has done that here, but he certainly hasn't done a bad job either.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. Of course, that doesn't make your opinion any less wrong.

A dub is not supposed to be so different that the character's personality is changed. Lelouch has gone from a cast-off prince itching for vengeance to some sort of emo wannabe villain. Let's face it: Bosch has too soft a voice to play a rough, gruff "gangster" (which is what Ichigo was shown to be in flashbacks of him), or a bitter ex-Prince of the most powerful nation on Earth. There's no edge and no authority to his voice. Lelouch's big moment in episode one, where he spoiler[commands the soldiers to die,] was shambolic in the dub. It was disgusting, an insult to the character and the show as a whole.

Voice Actors are welcome to exceed the original performances. I never claimed that they had to be worse (or no better) than the Seiyuu. All I said was that the VAs had to be faithful. Now, there may be times where the original performances were bad, and the dub decides to forge its own route. That's acceptable, and even commendable. But when you are talking about an above-par performance from Fukuyama whose character gets slaughtered by a miscast Voice Actor unable to vary his performances, that's what gets me so infuriated.

The fact that A: people are defending this dribble and B: the dub for one of the "hottest" shows around got this inane treatment just confirms for me that the world is one screwed-up place.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
It'd make so much more sense for me to go on and on hating on a performance I actually liked, or to be insulted because one actor isn't quite as good as another...

Quote:

All I said was that the VAs had to be faithful.

Considering...
Quote:

Now, there may be times where the original performances were bad, and the dub decides to forge its own route.

Now lets say that the original isn't "bad" but it's not "as good as it could be." Wouldn't the "forge its own route" be just as plausible then? And once we go the direction of recognizing that the original isn't perfect, it kind of calls into question what we mean when we throw around terms like "faithful."

Either by faithful you mean "I expect them to emulate the original VAs performance as closely as humanly possible" or you don't. I'm inclined to believe this is your view, but that even you recognize being faithful isn't always appropriate. But saying it's only appropriate when the original is bad is a real stretch, considering VAs aren't robots designed to imitate other people. I really do think if your standard is such that you expect very close emulation as a rule, that you probably should avoid dubs in general. This was not a bad dub. It might not be a perfect one, but it's miles away from being bad.

(Considering that I've hardly been defending the dub as being the most awesome out there, I don't really understand your overreaction).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
What I'm so angry about, is that this dub was billed as "the who's who of American VA's". And yet, I get dub that does not do the series (and the characters) justice. Speaking of justice, the dub for Death Note was tolerable, but Light's voice was abysmal.

You may not think it matters, but when you are dealing with main characters who are anti-heroes/villains, how they are portrayed makes a huge difference. Originally, Light came across as highly intelligent, arrogant, confident, but also cool. As in, he's the guy the audience wants to be. Brad Swaille's performance made him seem less smart, but more arrogant. He just wasn't cool, but came across as a giant prick. No wonder he got the bad press he did from the dub-watchers.

It's the same with Lelouch. Code Geass got unfairly marked down because of Lelouch, but how much of that stems from his awful portrayal in the dub? Those people who dislike him from only watching the dub, who says he's selfish and a psychopath, are missing so much. Not only the commanding delivery, but also Lelouch/Zero's strong sense of justice, and most importantly his totally unselfish love for his sister. They never get to see a whole side of him that isn't a magnificent bastard.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I can only express my hope that Mister Kimlinger is kept well away from reviewing the rest of this title.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
Ok, you just insulted Brad Swaile as Light and now I know we are hundreds of miles away from each other. I'm not even close to agreeing with you. I really do think you are looking for "dub bots" who have no opinions of their own and only want to emulate the Japanese.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. Of course, that doesn't make your opinion any less wrong.

Who's to say that your opinion isn't the one that's wrong? Razz

dtm42 wrote:
Those people who dislike him from only watching the dub, who says he's selfish and a psychopath, are missing so much.

Oh, yeah. He's a truly lovable personspoiler[ who kills his own brother and sacrifices his own allies. ] Rolling Eyes
dtm42 wrote:
He just wasn't cool, but came across as a giant prick. No wonder he got the bad press he did from the dub-watchers.

Are you seriously trying to say that if I watched the Japanese version of Death Note first, I would be cheering for Light even though spoiler[he drove his father to his death, killed many innocent people and got rid of his own lover? ] That somehow everything that he's done is somehow "cool"? Confused

dtm42 wrote:
I can only express my hope that Mister Kimlinger is kept well away from reviewing the rest of this title.

Yes, because hearing different perspectives on a show is so totally wrong.

Neutral

Anyways, I agree with this review. The first 8 episodes were a pretty much a "B" for me. Though, it's has gotten better as of late, but I don't think it's a masterpiece as some have described it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teferi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I can only express my hope that Mister Kimlinger is kept well away from reviewing the rest of this title.

No offense to the reviewer, but I agree. After his preview on the second season, this was more or less exactly what I was expecting if he got it.l I agree, it's a B show. He just seems to be writing as if the series is below him or something.

Quote:
Oh, yeah. He's a truly lovable person...

Doesn't anyone love how Machiavellian Lelocuhe is? I mean god, the director set the concept of the series on Lelocuhe (a character for which the ends justify the means) vs Suzaku (goody two-shoes values the process by which things are achieved). It may not make him loveable, but he's pretty easy to like as a character.

Quote:
I can't stop thinking about Tachikomas whenever Nunnally talks.

She has a line where some kids are beating her and she says something along the lines of "You can beat me, but you'll never hurt my heart!". In the Tachikoma voice.

On that note the Audio drama was pretty good in English. Suzaku's English VA managed to sound convincingly gay in "Ticket of Dreams".
Too bad he couldn't turn it off in the rest of the eps.

"Brown Agony" is probably the best work the English cast did though. Ougi's and Tamaki's VA's nailed the performance, and even JBY was amusing as Zero. If anything it showed that they act well enough ... it just doesn't seem to come together when they throw it in with the animation.

Also kind of disappointed to see nothing about how poorly translated the booklets were (pretty sure they came with all the DVDs). It's like Bandai threw the job at some random Japanese guy and told him, "translate it--but don't bother fixing any mistakes."

There's a line in a section on Britannian Airplanes that goes:

"It was a great aircraft that was steady at sound speed, but the construction of it was canceled when a general asked
"where the Knightmare was going to be put?"."

(and I got my copy at Best Buy in case anyone thinks it's a bootleg).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6