• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favourite Manga of 2011

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone! I debated not doing this thread this year, since Hey Answerfans dealt with the issue, but figured it was worth a shot to get some answers to the question that weren't in the massive thread that column always generates.

So, for past years (you can see 2010's thread here), we've had a thread discussing the favourite manga people read in that year. It doesn't necessarily have to be a title that only started being released in said year, just one that you personally discovered then.

Anyway, I actually did submit an answerfan response and so, because I am lazy, I will c/p it over here Anime smile

Looking up on my shelf, most of the series there are ones that have been getting released for over a year and a lot of my favourites are ones I've chosen in the past as the best (Ooku and NANA, for example). However, I do have two choices that come to mind, one that is a new release and one that is a re-release.

For the new release, I'm going to Bunny Drop. Now, I'm not 100% sure when the series started to be released and there is a good chance it was before 2010. I was introduced to this show through the anime, though I had heard about it before and was interested in checking it out. I think it really is one of the most heartwarming stories out there, regardless of the medium, and I just adore every moment that I'm reading it. Very few pieces of entertainment make me smile as much as it.

The re-release of note is Gunslinger Girl. Again, I don't know when the re-release started but since I had read vol 1-6 of ADV's release, I didn't pick up the Seven Seas one until the latest omnibus was released featuring material that was new to me. And it was really well done, enough that I sort of wish I had the first two omnibuses, though not quite enough to make me want to double-dip. The story itself does have it's issues (this volume is too Petrushka-focused for my liking, especially given that her storyline has some unfortunate sexual themes) but I still enjoyed reading it and cannot say how happy I am to have this series continue in English once more.

Since coming up with this response I have also begun reading Codename Sailor V and I am enjoying it, though I don't think it quite dethrones either of my above pics (I also have vol 1 of Sailor Moon but I want to finish with V first, since that's the chronological order of the story).

Anyway, hopefully other people have some good manga to share here. I know I always love hearing about what people consider the best of the best and I have picked up manga in the past because of these threads. Also, we've had non-manga sequential art here in the past (I mentioned Scott Pilgrim last year), so if you have a favourite OEL title or something from any other part of the world, don't be afraid to mention it (though since this is a manga forum, please mention at least one manga title as well).
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Does Banana Fish count? I mean, it's an old series and all and I certainly didn't discover it this year, but I didn't start reading it until this year. It took me a while to track down all the volumes, but boy oh boy it was worth it!

I really haven't looked at many new series this year. A note-worthy release was Sailor Moon. I was a huge fan of the anime, but never really got into the manga because I hated Tokyopop's release quality. So when it was republished, I jumped on it. It was great and way better than I expected (I thought I would be disappointed since I'm no longer a kid and all). Other than that, I haven't started any new series.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I answered for Answerfans, but what the heck, I'll add some more.
I think my favourite new releases are Sailor Moon and Codename Sailor V, just because I've waited so long to finally own them. I picked up Dawn of the Arcana on a whim, not expecting much, but it's actually pretty good. The art is nice as well. I also picked up Blue Exorcist on a whim after flicking through it, and was again pleasantly surprised.

Continuing series: Bakuman (once you get past the horrendous sexism), Otomen, Arisa (Thank you Kodansha for continuing it) and Kimi ni Todoke. Special mention to Bokura ga Ita as well. I look forward to reading the ending of that one.

Completed series: Karakuri Odette (Man, this has been difficult to track down) and My Girlfriend's A Geek. Eensey Weensy Monster as well, was bought purely thanks to the review on here.

Omnibuses/Rereleases: Strawberry Panic novel, because I finally get to read the 3rd one, and the Dark Horse Cardcaptor Sakura releases. Special mention to the Kodansha rereleases of Love Hina and Tokyo Mew Mew, although a little more bonus content would've been nice for them.

Nostalgic series: When Tokyopop went bust, I decided it was finally time to buy Fruits Basket and Kare Kano for myself, and I'm so glad I did. I've had a lot of fun rediscovering those 2.

Someone please continue: Nodame Cantabile, Maid-sama and Hetalia.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I answered for Answerfans, but what the heck, I'll add some more.
I think my favourite new releases are Sailor Moon and Codename Sailor V, just because I've waited so long to finally own them. I picked up Dawn of the Arcana on a whim, not expecting much, but it's actually pretty good. The art is nice as well. I also picked up Blue Exorcist on a whim after flicking through it, and was again pleasantly surprised.

Continuing series: Bakuman (once you get past the horrendous sexism), Otomen, Arisa (Thank you Kodansha for continuing it) and Kimi ni Todoke. Special mention to Bokura ga Ita as well. I look forward to reading the ending of that one.

Completed series: Karakuri Odette (Man, this has been difficult to track down) and My Girlfriend's A Geek. Eensey Weensy Monster as well, was bought purely thanks to the review on here.

Omnibuses/Rereleases: Strawberry Panic novel, because I finally get to read the 3rd one, and the Dark Horse Cardcaptor Sakura releases. Special mention to the Kodansha rereleases of Love Hina and Tokyo Mew Mew, although a little more bonus content would've been nice for them.

Nostalgic series: When Tokyopop went bust, I decided it was finally time to buy Fruits Basket and Kare Kano for myself, and I'm so glad I did. I've had a lot of fun rediscovering those 2.

Someone please continue: Nodame Cantabile, Maid-sama and Hetalia.

And my Answerfans response: The best Western manga release of 2011 is definitely A Bride's Story. I missed out on buying Emma and I don't have the money to pay the outrageous prices some people are charging for some volumes now, so when I saw that Yen Press had picked this up, I was delighted. I love that they went to so much effort with the hardcover and nice paper, as it makes it seem far more special than most releases, and this is a title that's definitely worth special treatment. In some ways, it's amazing that a series like this was even licensed at all, and it's heartwarming to see that some publishers haven't given up on niche titles just yet.
Runner up: Wandering Son, for similar reasons.

EDIT: My discoveries of the year.

I Am Here! It's a cute wee shojo that I could really relate to as I felt somewhat like that in high school. Publishing as 2 omnibus volumes rather than 5 tankobon was a good choice as well, I feel, although Kodansha seriously need a better proofreader Confused

Tegami Bachi. I picked up the first 3 volumes for 2 quid each in a second hand shop, and I'm glad I did, as I'd have probably overlooked it otherwise. I can't really think of many other fantasy manga, shounen or shoujo, that have so much thought put into their setting, which is a refreshing change from a lot of fantasy stories. That, plus Niche and Steak are adorable.

Bunny Drop. As soon as I saw the first episode of the anime, I went and bought all the manga volumes I could lay my hands on. It's adorable and I wish there were more series like. But what about the ending?! (I refuse to read scans, so I don't know if it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be)

Last edited by st_owly on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ensof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
2011 was a slightly disappointing year for me. 2010 saw the release of several great new series (Bokurano, Arisa, Bunny Drop, Dorohedoro, Biomega, 7 Billion Needles), and I consider their continuation/conclusion to be this year’s highlight.

Of 2011’s new releases, the best for me were one-shots. Stargazing Dog was probably my favourite. I was so upset by the death of my last dog five years ago that I haven’t had the heart to replace him, so this tale of a dog’s loyalty to his master really resonated with me. It also had an important point to make about the way modern society treats its “failures” and misfits. The contrast of the relationship between the man and his dog, and the man with his family and society in general, was striking and poignant. The only downside for me was the shoddy production. Note to NBM Comics – if you’re going to flip a manga, do it properly!

A Zoo in Winter was also very touching. Jiro Taniguchi seemed to put more heart into this title than the others Fanfare has so far released, probably due to its autobiographical content. I also recommend Lychee Light Club, a volatile mixture of puberty, fascism and extreme violence.

2011 was something of a year of resurrections. It was great to see Seven Seas rescue Blood Alone and Gunslinger Girl, and release the first new volumes in three and four years respectively. Even better was Dark Horse bringing both Eden and MPD Psycho out of hiatus. Here’s hoping that the sales are good enough to keep them going.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, for stuff I've read this year:

Best older series, Fruits Basket. Why was I not buying this all as it came out? I had every opportunity, and luckily got the whole thing for around $80. But yeah, each volume brought with it more drama and more excitement from start to finish! Took me a while to get used to the word bubbles (the placement seems odd compared to anything else I've ever read). But yeah, this is a shojo classic for a reason and I'm glad I finally got to read it!
And for really really old, Sanctuary was another great series I read this year. I had some trouble with the art, like telling who was talking or who was who sometimes, and I'd be lying if I said I understood all of the politics, but it was a great series that needs a reprint.

Best series that ended, Hikaru no Go. It took longer for Viz to put this title out in America then it ran in Japan. And the ending itself was....inconclusive, but it's still a great series and it's great that Viz put the whole thing out without cancelling it! Definitely one of my most looked forward to volumes of the past year. Yes, I know FMA is about to end (and I've read the volume through other means) and it certainly provides a more concrete ending, but it didn't feel as rewarding to me. Hikago could go on forever, so there's no such thing as a "good" stopping point, but we did manage to squeeze out more character development and Hikago goodness and finish up the arc.

Best new series, I think I've got a few actually. Bride's Story is an obvious choice, the hardcover and oversized pages do the story well. Kaoru Mori can just make magic on even the most seemingly boring topics, like sewing. I always look forward to the next one! I only have half of Emma (not even in numbered ordered, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 8), so much like others, not letting this one get away too!
Wandering Son was a one volume (so far) story that quite impressed me. It treats its subject with dignity while still crafting an interesting story. Not sure if the oversized hardcover helped, in face I'd say it did not. Art wasn't super detailed so I'd also have to award it worst book design because it was just so unnecessary.

Best ongoing, tough choice, but I just have to give it to Twin Spica, which I am totally behind on. Everyone volume makes me somehow depressed, but it just gets better and better each volume in a way that seems impossible. It's one of the series that I'm most happy came over, I'd seen the anime so knew it was good, but the manga is just impossibly better, it needs to be on everyone's shelf and I need to catch up on it.

Best manhwa I read this year, I have a tie here! This year was really the first time I've seriously tried to read manhwa and I did find two things to enjoy. First, Hotel Africa, which I've still only read one volume of, but it was a magical volume! And it's Tokyopop, so hurry up and get the two volumes they did manage to put out (they cancelled it way before they went out though)
Also Tokyopop, Threads of Time was a great historic war epic with a dash of reincarnation. Great art, great story, I just could not put it down! It also makes it a real shame that Tokyopop is down from a manhwa standpoint because they published some good manhwa that no one else has yet to match in terms of quality.

Most exciting announcement: Vertical's acquisitions of GTO: Early Years, Shonan 14 Days, and Adolf. This is why I look forward to Vertical announcements so much! The last one especially made me happy, more Tezuka and a license rescue all in one! And on one of, imo, Tezuka's best works!

Saddest announcement, Tokyopop shutting down. Just when it seemed like they were getting back on their feet, Stu Levy pulls the rug out from under them to go off and make a documentary about the earthquake that no one but him will watch or care about. Stu Levy also wins the award for "worst person (no longer) in the industry" as he then teases fans that he wants to start publishing manga again. Get back on your ADD meds then just go away. Please.

Tokyopop also leads me to the most in need of a rescue award, which I have two. Future Diary I think is the one more likely to be picked up since the anime is currently airing. But man, 2 volumes to go!
Demon Sacred is far less likely to get rescued, it was a sci-fi shojo, man! They got out 4 volumes of bizarre and awesome shojo from the creator of Jyu-Oh Sei and even tried to price vols 1 and 2 at a bargain price to get people hooked! But I doubt it had a huge following, sadly, which is a shame, because it needs a license rescue and is unlikely to get it.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
I might be late to the party with Berserk, but I haven't been able to put it down all year. As soon as I'm done with one volume, I go right out and buy the next! The artwork is ridiculously detailed, and the gore is way over the top (which I love)!

And of course there is my old standby Gantz. I read every volume I get in 10 minutes. I don't know what it is about it (god knows it isn't the deep storyline Laughing ), but I just cannot get enough. Smile
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
There were so many new series I started this year. Anime dazed It was like the Year Of All The Manga. Going chronologically:

Kamisama Kiss - it's a really cute series about a girl who becomes the god of a little shrine, and her interactions with the various gods and other mythic beings! It also happens to be by the creator of Akuma to Dolce, which is tied with Double Arts on my list of "things I really want licensed but will never be." If you like shojo, then it's definitely worth a look. If you liked Karakuri Odette, it's got the same art but a different feel--- Karakuri is more focused on self-discovery, whereas Kamisama is more focused on romance.

Takeru Opera Susanoh Sword of the Devil - I had avoided this for years, because for some reason I had gotten it in my head that this was one of the series that Tokyopop had abandoned (even before they shut down). I was glad to see I was mistaken, and Karakara Kemuri has become one of my favorite artists because of it! They've also done Replica and Countdown 7 Days, two other new manga that I'm very excited about~! The art is gorgeous, the plots are new and different, and the action scenes are surprisingly easy to follow. I'm really looking forward to getting more of those two in 2012.

Beast Master - it's by the same person as Dengeki Daisy, another one of my new favorite shojo series. The plot is a little... "out there", but I thought it was genuinely cute and I liked both of the protagonists.

Butterflies, Flowers - was not expecting to like this so much! If I had known it was a sex comedy hidden in Shojo Beat wrapping, I would have bought it much sooner. Anime hyper The plot is often ridiculous, but I was laughing all the way. I want more stuff like this to make it over here.

Love*Com - it definitely didn't come out this year, it just took me until this year to collect the whole thing! I didn't want to read it until it was finished, so then I got to sit down to a nice big chunk of feisty romance, my favorite type. Anime smile This is also one of those series that I wouldn't worry about giving to people who don't normally read shojo. It's just a great, heartfelt comedy to the core.

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan - I was excited when this series was licensed! I had actually read a bit of it online (something I practically never do), and was sad because I didn't think they'd bring something like this over here.

Tegami Bachi - another series I really should have gotten into earlier! It's got action! It's got intrigue! It's got a crybaby protagonist (who is not annoying in the slightest!) that proves that tears don't make you weak! Not to mention I spend a few minutes after getting each volume just staring at the gorgeous covers. *_*

Alice in the Country of Hearts - I got into this even when I knew it wasn't going to finish. Turns out I just can't escape the pull of my inner Alice in Wonderland fangirl. Laughing It also turns out that most of the hot guys are psychopaths--- even better! I'm insanely (ha) pleased that we're getting the rest of the series.

Oresama Teacher - probably my choice for best new shojo that started releasing in 2011. I've been looking for a replacement comedy shojo ever since Ouran went on the "Suddenly, A Love Story" arc. =_= Sometimes, all I want are wacky high school hijinks, okay! Oresama is just awesome all around, and I've already lent it out to one of my guy friends who "Doesn't like shojo but likes strong female protagonists." Rolling Eyes I'm attempting to change his mind about shojo with this and Skip Beat as proof.

Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura - for my Arina Tanemura fix. It goes hand in hand with my Kaori Yuki fix--- I need my sparkly, angst-y goodness to go along with my gothy, angst-y goodness! (Come on Viz, announce the license for a new Kaori Yuki. You know you wanna...)

No Longer Human - this one squeaked in at the end! I've loved everything I've found by Usamaru Furuya, Genkaku Picasso being my favorite (everyone should read it, no exceptions!). This one is darker than Picasso, but I still really like it. I just love the way he formats stories.

A Bride's Story - I too fell in love with this series. I wasn't expecting to, because frankly I found Emma boring. Embarassed I blame it on the locale. No, wait, I like Black Butler and Godchild, so that doesn't work. Anime hyper Anyways, I just got volume 2 and I am sooo very excited to read it! The age difference doesn't bother me, in fact I find it kind of refreshing, but then again my favorite manga is Meru Puri. So. Laughing

Gate 7 and Kobato. - can't believe it took me so long to start reading Kobato., but I'm definitely hooked. As for Gate 7, I am unsure-but-optimistic about it. I suspect it will improve with time; most CLAMP series do.

2011 was also the year that I discovered Fumi Yoshinaga. Now if only Flower of Life #4 wouldn't be so darn OOP, I could have everything she's published in English so far. Sad

Other notable surprises: Arata, Arisa (<3), Cat Paradise, Fairy Tail (finally bit the bullet on that one!), Monster Hunter Orage (I like it even though I haven't played the game), Psyren, The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko (Anime cry), and The Story of Saiunkoku.

And you know, Sailor Moon, yada yada, Sailor V, yada yada~

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who only started picking up Fruits Basket after Tokyopop folded. Though I need to start getting the rest of it, before the volumes disappear altogether. Definitely really enjoying that one.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
Although some other series had some good moments, I'll have to go with Natsume's Book of Friends again this year. Nothing earthshattering happened, but it continues to be beautifully drawn and written.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
My 2011 belonged to manga. While completely abandoning watching moving pictures I moved towards world of paper and signs. While the amount of promising anime in my eyes is getting smaller and smaller every year, manga is still unexplored and give me more faith in Japanese at all- it proves that they can create works of fiction with decent research, not treating history and society just as effective decorations.

1st Black Jack- probably the one and only manga that moved me so much. As I've written before
Quote:

It's a shame that so old lady like myself come across Tezuka so late. I knew about him, but I've started reading his works last year, after long rant that I can't find any good medical manga. Someone recommended me Black Jack to shut me up. Sorry for focusing on the manga and only two of many themes described by Tezuka, but they are the closest to my heart.

I'm still not finished with him (I don't even want to remember how much money did I dumped into BJ manga), but I can say that Black Jack is and will be my favourite manga character forever. Probably that's the best creation of fictional doctor ever. Or maybe better- doctor's projection. Black Jack is doctor's daydream. Genius not bounded by typical paperwork and procedures, moving freely, having just interesting cases, begged to operate.

It's clear that Tezuka put here all his student's hopes and dreams, but also fears. Black Jack like every doctor has problems with the fact that he isn't omnipotent. When he fails he is free to unleash all emotions that in normal practice must be hidden. Even if the years had passed, most of the problems described in short stories are still actual.
Despite showing medicine procedured just a bit too strange for reality Tezuka managed to keep his work as reliable as it's possible for short stories based on strange medical accidents.
There's just one flaw that people usually don't notice- Black Jack is terrible authoritarian. Once you ask him for help he will take all your free will. Next flaw of genius or matter of the time? In 70s it was acceptable, the idea that patient should always have the last world is pretty new. It was fixed a bit in 90s OVA- besides the movies the only good attempt to bring BJ to silver screen.
It's told that Tezuka till hid dead hadn't let anyone to draw Black Jack. Seeing 2004 anime series I know why.

After Black Jack came Team Medical Dragon and Say Hello to Black Jack. The former didn't impressed me as it should, because most of the presented problems are my staff of life. Too long, too dry, with no real characters, just pose presenting figurines. The later however avoided many of the mistakes and make their characters moving and plausible, but to get there I had to go through first chapter. Seeing the main protagonist mourning the fact that he works for money was painful, especially that in that time he should be at casualty doing the job he was paid for. His behaviour would have been a bit plausible if he had been a freshmen medical student during his first year, not intern after years of study. Luckily, after several kicks in his ass he managed to pull himself together, turn into real doctor and present some delicate and subtle problems of every doctor (plus some bonuses exclusive for Japan).

From lighter things I've finally made peace with Berserk. Last time I had a volume in my hand was 2 years ago, when I threw it to the wall in anger. Miura can be proud of himself- make me to threat borrowed book so horribly. I was literally so angry with Berserk after spoiler[Eclipse] that I was sure I would never read that again. But it come back, like Behelit, so I had no choose than read what I got. Even if the never chapters seems pale comparing to the earlier ones I definitely will follow that.

There was Vinland Saga picked up for matter of review, Anastacia Club and Bride's Story. What do all of them have in common? Amazing research. It's delightful to read stories where all history inaccuracies are clearly deliberate> I was sure that this kind of manga was dead, so finding that was a really nice surprise. Hope that 2012 will be even better.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Favorite New Manga
Definitely a tie between Codename: Sailor V and Wandering Son. They're pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum, but they both pulled me in and delighted me. I can't wait for the next volume of Wandering Son to come out next month.

Favorite Rerelease

Hands down, Sailor Moon. I've read most of it in French, but not all of it and that was more than a decade ago. Finally getting to read it in English so that I can better notice humor has been great. Not to mention getting to focus on the art rather than spending my focus on translating it.

Favorite Continuing Series

I think this one is probably Bunny Drop. It has such a delicate nature and blends in reality with a healthy dose of fun and cuteness.

Favorite "New to Me"

This is the toughest, as there are several series that belong here. I think, however, I'll go with Twin Spica since it completely surprised me with how good it was. I'm only 2 volumes in, but I was in agony that I didn't have volume 3 available after reading those.

Honorable mentions to Saikano, Fluffy Little Gigolo Pelu and Adolf though. I imagine Adolf will be my "Favorite Re-release" next year.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Been a fair few really good series that I've started reading this year so instead of just picking one ima name drop a couple. (and i do mean things I've picked up this year because im not totally on the ball with current releases)

Vinland saga, im a fan of viking type stuff so this really appealed to me. I call it the Norse vagabond, i liked its grittyness and occasional dash of humour to boot.

I am a Hero, i wont tell a lie its kinda hard to get into, the first volume of the series is a bit of a wall to climb but once you get to those last few pages the story is off like a rocket and i got over it because the characters are good and there were a few hints of things to come. Afterwards its super awesome.

Goodnight PunPun, this has been going for a bit but i only picked it up recently, the fact that the main cast is depicted as birds was a little odd but it kinda works. its a nice deep story and i feel for the characters and their various emotional battles.

Bakuman. started buying this as viz are releasing it based on the premise and the pedegree and its been fun. A manga about manga whats not to like.

The brides stories, not having read emma im a newcomer to the author but id seen some untranslated pages online and really dug the art so i kept an eye on a licence aquisition. Yen press have impessed the hell outta me this year and so when they took the time to doll it up as a hardcover release i paid attention and dropped some coin on the first volume without fully knowing what to expect. Really enjoed the first volume and am currently awaiting volume 2 in the post.

Its been a MASSIVE year for manga for me, having been a hardcore anime fan for many a year i had a large collection of DVDs and a smaller collection of mangas and this year i realised that i enjoy mangas more and couldnt think why my dvd collection was so much bigger so i dedicated a large amount of my entertainment budget at the bookshelf and its balooned a couple hundred books larger. hoping to carry that momentum into 2012 and seeing as volume five of the vagabond omnibus edition and volume 1 of cross game arrived today id say chances are good it will.

HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW MANGA FANS
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

Honorable mentions to Saikano

I love Saikano! It's such a wonderful series. It continues to frustrate me to no end that the last volume (and only the last volume, unless things have changed) is out of print. I eventually had to turn to scanlations, though if I ever come across it, I will most definitely be buying it.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Mylene wrote:

Honorable mentions to Saikano

I love Saikano! It's such a wonderful series. It continues to frustrate me to no end that the last volume (and only the last volume, unless things have changed) is out of print. I eventually had to turn to scanlations, though if I ever come across it, I will most definitely be buying it.

I waited for awhile to start it just in hopes that I'd find volume 7 (at a price I was willing to pay), but thus far no luck. I've only read the first 3 volumes, but they were amazing.

Another new to me that I've really liked (although might have started in 2010, I can't remember) is Video Girl Ai which really surprised me how touching it is, even with the fanservice in it. It's so heartfelt, at least in the first 6 volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2