• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks on Anime [2008-09-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:

So, Chicks, I wonder if it'd be amazingly supercool to find another guest Chick who is actually from Japan to help give us the native perspective about anime, culture and such... just feels to me that we are missing easy points here and there that might be helped with a little perspective. In talking to a lot of JETs and ALTs over the years, I am constantly surprised by how much different the Japanese see US in terms of stereotypes, so I can't help but think that is the case when we gaze at them.

That's definitely in the pipeline. Ideally, many of our topics will likely be revisited over time, with different points of view from invited guests, so you'll see an organic change in the conversations, the opinions, and the reader responses. I don't want to just have one conversation about one topic and call it quits-- opinions and ideas certainly do change, and as this column evolves, I hope that'll become more apparent. Smile

Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone. I do read every single comment, and take your (everyone's) thoughts seriously.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I do read every single comment, and take your (everyone's) thoughts seriously.

you must seriously need eye drops and a beer then :devil: how about a virtual beer on tap? Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, as I said last week, you see a lot more beta males, or these kind of wimpy, girlish male characters because it's so difficult to be the alpha male in real life.

I think it has more to do with girls' tastes nowadays. "Wimpy"-looking guys=sensitive and thus "hot". [See Daniel Radcliffe, Jonas Bros., etc.]
It used to be those kind of guys were more suited for pre-teen girls, and then they'd go for the abusive dicks when they hit puberty. But in these crappy economic times, you can't coast on a dumb brute shaking down money from nerds[or mismanaging the banking system Rolling Eyes ] like you used to, so you want a guy who's "stable".

Edit: As for why a guy would want to look like that, well, the current generation is different from the previous ones, and doesn't need to bulk up and pick fights, since they can blow off steam on the Internets. They're not afraid to live up to expectations, since they don't have those expectations in the first place like guys from previous decades did. For example, if you're gay, you're now recognized as being able to beat the crap out of anyone as easily as if you're straight; so now being a wimp just means sounding whiny.

Quote:
If you look at countries' birthrates, the post-industrialized nations that are having the biggest problems with birthrates are the most patriarchal countries. Because what happened, essentially, is that there is this breakdown in expectations, that the women expect a more equitable relationship, while the men expects someone to wait on them hand and foot, and because neither is being satisfied, they just don't get together at all. And both are wildly unhappy.

Actually, in Japan's case, it has more to do with their craptacular economy in which no one has time to date.

Quote:
You have to remember also that the US imposed equal voting rights, equal rights for women, and up until that point, women were second class citizens and were an inferior form of life in Japan.

Um, you do know that the birth control and Roe V. Wade didn't become standard until decades after WW2, right? Oh, and you still get paid less than American men for the same work...

Quote:
Also you need to remember that the workforce in Japan isn't as flexible as it is here.

Given the number of gigs people who work in anime do alone, I disagree. In Japan, you actually learn stuff you can transfer to other fields, while over here, you just get a piece of paper which you have to bs a potential employer into thinking has some value.

Quote:
In college, I lived in a program house with a bunch of gamer geeks, and they had sex all the time.

With themselves or with other people? Laughing Wink

Quote:
Well, I think also in America, especially nowadays, I think it's just so much easier to communicate. There isn't any societal pressure to keep to yourself and blend in, and not stand out.

Tell that to all the school shooters. Razz
Ambrogino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
I don't think the Uber-alpha Scwarzanegger/Stallone style alpha male is actually that popular in the West anymore - their major period of popularity was pretty much contigusous with the Crying Freeman/Fist of the North star examples. And although there are lots of effeminate Japansese live action entertainers Takeshi Kitano doesn't seem to have trouble getting work. The start of the article all seemed a bit cherry-picked to support it's points imo.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
I was a bit disappointed in this week's column. It seemed more meandering gossip than discussion of anything meaningful. I think it would help to have someone play moderator for each one and perhaps keep it on track. Some fluidity and asides are good, but this time IMO the focus was lost to the point where nothing was really said.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I was a bit disappointed in this week's column. It seemed more meandering gossip than discussion of anything meaningful. I think it would help to have someone play moderator for each one and perhaps keep it on track. Some fluidity and asides are good, but this time IMO the focus was lost to the point where nothing was really said.

I agree that the column was lacking in focus. It did not have a strong, easily identifiable theme to it (that I could see, anyway).

But I think what Bamboo was kind of saying (and please SakechanBD, correct me if I'm wrong) is that there are only so many themes/topics a column such as this can look at. One cannot simply spend a week on a particular theme/topic and declare it finished. There will always be new developments, new information, changing opinions. While I enjoy having a theme/topic to generally guide the conversation, we must also realise the interconnectivity of various problems and trends within modern society. If no (hu)man is an island, then that would also apply to the societies that humans build.

What I am referring to is the complex way that various problems and trends are linked to one another. Introduce a potent, addictive drug into a society, and it causes a whole raft of problems. Employment is affected as people lose their jobs. The economy is affected by having to pay for people to be on the "benefit" or "dole". Health and welfare is compromised as people can no longer afford to take their children to hospital - or even feed them - as the money was blown on the drug. People turn to prostitution, gambling and theft to pay for their habits. This causes - or helps accelerate - the breakdown of families, which is the social foundation of most societies. And violent crime increases due to those breakdowns, and as the result of the rising power of gangs. That's not to mention the side effects of the drug itself (methamphetamine, I'm looking at you). That's just a case with a single change made to a relatively known system. The real world is vastly more complex.

So, I can almost hear the shouts of "What does this have to do with Anime, let alone this column?" Well what I'm saying is, focusing on one theme or topic at a time can be counterproductive. The old saying "missing the forest for the trees" comes to mind; while looking at each tree on its own individual merit, we must not forget that the tree is part of a greater and more complex whole. Oops, I'm getting off track again. But my point is, a consideration of all the factors from across the spectrum is required to gain an understanding into a problem.

Now, I would be happy to give an example in terms of this column. Like how the theme/topic of "Beta Males" is tied to hikikomoris. The thing is, I'm not really the person to provide those examples, as I'm just some random waffling guy on the internet who has no "street cred"*.

Oh, and ah, also, it's eighteen minutes to 3 AM, and I'm zonked.
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
Miyavi is beautiful and crazy. lol

I think Kimura Takuya (Howl's Moving Castle) is the closest thing to a japanese alpha male celebrity. I'm sure I've seen a poll where he's voted one of the manliest guys around in Japan. Other celebrities I can think of are Takashi Sorimachi (GTO), Joe Odagiri (Mushishi) and Satoshi Tsumabuki <3.

*Random*It's because most Japanese male celebrities have this girly look to them that the Korean wave hit pretty big. Japanese fans of Korean drama and music have said that they saw Korean men more masculine, romantic and sensitive. It's the same thing with the Japanese wave that hit Korea.
errantrogue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
@bamboo's comment (and continuing on to Robin's)... on not seeing the trapped in their mom's basement nerds in the community.

why would you? They're TRAPPED IN THEIR MOM'S BASEMENT. thanks to intarweb shopping, pizza ordering, and gaming, they pretty much never have to leave...

and, for those just one step above, who leave their caves in search of bookstores and gameshops, i can regale you with countless examples (well, more like 20 or so folks in my area who frequent my store) of horribly naive, shy geeks who stare longingly at the people around them, but quickly look away and run... LITERALLY run when a girl/guy (whatever their preferance) makes eye contact. some who are so socially paralyzed that all they can do is set their manga down on the counter, give you their card, sign and leave IMMEDIATELY with not a word spoken nor presence acknowledged.

Quote:
I don't think the Uber-alpha Scwarzanegger/Stallone style alpha male is actually that popular in the West anymore - their major period of popularity was pretty much contigusous with the Crying Freeman/Fist of the North star examples.

you know, i've often wondered about the appeal of ryan reynolds to the movie going public... i mean, he's a decent actor and can be funny... but, invariable, every woman i've asked (and several guys) about it (and i think im going on a baker's dozen in the past few years i've had this theory) have brought up one single scene... from blade trinity.

then, go look at the cover to pretty much EVERY romance novel being put out... barring uberpopular authors like Nora Roberts, every author that wants to SELL puts a barechested man with uber-pectorals and a six... make that 24 pack on the cover.

edit:sorry, referenced the wrong chick(s) there... fixed.

Last edited by errantrogue on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
burzmali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
If I recall, Japan is currently paying parents to have more than one child. Most countries pay parents in some form or another, in the US, I get to take an extra deduction from by taxes and collect a tax credit for my daughter, so YMMV.

Most European countries have it better, but when they are able to ride the backs of larger countries (who do you think pays for the development of all the fancy treatments all those countries with free health care provide?) what do you expect.

Its also a pride thing, Japan has worked hard to be known as one of the most technologically savvy nations in the world, there are 3 things that Denmark is known for (to most Americans at least), two are Windmills and Tulips, the third is Amsterdam (in all its hedonistic glory).
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
burzmali wrote:
Its also a pride thing, Japan has worked hard to be known as one of the most technologically savvy nations in the world, there are 3 things that Denmark is known for (to most Americans at least), two are Windmills and Tulips, the third is Amsterdam (in all its hedonistic glory).

Ummmm, could you possibly be thinking of the Netherlands? Because - at least I fervently hope - most Americans don't associate those things with Denmark. Wink
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
burzmali wrote:

Ummmm, could you possibly be thinking of the Netherlands? Because - at least I fervently hope - most Americans don't associate those things with Denmark. Wink

Especially when Amsterdam is the capital of Netherlands.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
I feel like there is so much anime out there that's made for the lonely nerd, but at least in the US, I think people watch it because it's fun and entertaining, not because they need it as escapism.

Hmm, interesting thought. I don't have any expert opinion to insert here, but it seems like, even if there is also wish fulfillment in something like Naruto or any shounen property that goes gangbusters over here, it's not as much about insular and hikikomori-ish wish fulfillment, it's just your standard boy-wanting-to-be-hero-with-special-powers wish fulfillment, AKA the basis of most Western comic books, at least when they began.

Also, a more direct-from-Japan guest viewpoint would be nice in the Chicks column at some point, but I felt like, based on what I have read elsewhere on the experiences of JETs and others in Japan, the regular Chicks were close to or right on the money with their comments, even if they were from secondhand experience.

P.S.: You guys really should stop talking about Denmark/Netherlands/whatever. It's derailing the thread big time. Besides, it's obvious that tulips and windmills are from Holland Razz
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
errantrogue wrote:
and, for those just one step above, who leave their caves in search of bookstores and gameshops, i can regale you with countless examples (well, more like 20 or so folks in my area who frequent my store) of horribly naive, shy geeks who stare longingly at the people around them, but quickly look away and run... LITERALLY run when a girl/guy (whatever their preferance) makes eye contact. some who are so socially paralyzed that all they can do is set their manga down on the counter, give you their card, sign and leave IMMEDIATELY with not a word spoken nor presence acknowledged.

Just because you seem them doesn't mean it's the norm overall. Anyone I see in the anime/manga aisles are pretty normal people, and certainly don't freak out. Heck, I've talked to a few of them, and they were nice. Behavior like running or avoiding people is pretty noticeable, and I've never seen it. I'll see a manga cow every so often, but they don't freak out when I'm nearby or ask if they could move a bit so I can reach for a specific volume.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:
burzmali wrote:

*choke*

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:
burzmali wrote:

Er, no. Amsterdam is the biggest city in the Netherlands but The Hague is the capital.

burzmali wrote:
but when they are able to ride the backs of larger countries (who do you think pays for the development of all the fancy treatments all those countries with free health care provide?) what do you expect.

Oh, good Lord. Six of the ten biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world are European and the USA certainly doesn't pay a cent towards European public healthcare. Read a book. You might want to start with an atlas. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8