• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide Part 1

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
animehermit wrote:

The Movies that are well made usually do well, thats the main difference between anime and film. American Audiences know when something is crap

No...no...no no no...

No.

Patriotism is one thing, blind ignorance is something else entirely.

top ten highest grossing films of all time:
1 Titanic
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
4 The Dark Knight
5 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
6 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
7 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
8 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
9 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
10 Shrek 2
these are arguably the best films to come out in the last 10 years.

Quote:
What??

These titles are the exception, not the rule. Do you think Japanese audiences are retarded or what? Better quality shows generally do better, and crap generally does worse. It's hardly that different from the States or anywhere else for that matter.

thats exactly why Naruto is one of the most popular series in japan and America? or the sheer amount of Moe crap being produced this season? while possibly the most successful anime in the states did really poorly in japan? or was ignored in both countries? ok so maybe i am being harsh, One Piece is possibly the most popular anime/manga in japan, and its pretty good, so there is accounting for taste.

Quote:
Right...and what makes you a better judge of a good or a bad film than a well respected film critic like Ebert?

well respected hah! Eberts' a quack, his reviews have steadily gone from good to done right horrible in the time he's been reviewing. I liked him when he was more harsh and didn't like every film he watched. there haven't been that many good movies in the past few years.

Last edited by Animehermit on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
thats exactly why Naruto is one of the most popular series in japan and America?

Naruto isn't a bad show, especially since it's aimed at a younger audience it's pretty good. ^^

Quote:
or the sheer amount of Moe crap being produced this season?

you mean this year? because this season there is almost none at all.

Of course the Japanese will overlook some good series now and then, but f.ex. if you look at the manga charts, there are so many really good series that are completely overlooked in foreign countries or even get cancelled because they don't sell enough there. (20th century boys, Honey & Clover f.ex.)
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

top ten highest grossing films of all time:
1 Titanic
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
4 The Dark Knight
5 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
6 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
7 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
8 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
9 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
10 Shrek 2
these are arguably the best films to come out in the last 10 years.

Very, very arguably. If Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter movies, and Shrek 2 is the best movies to have come out in America in the last ten years, then it's no wonder why theater audiences are declining.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed half of those movies on the list...I just don't think they represent the best that American cinema has to offer. There are many, many other movies that came out that didn't make it onto that list.
(...Plus, honestly, I think the first Shrek is better, and the first Shrek was no where near the best movie I've ever seen.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
Listing the top 10 grossing movies...they are "arguably" the best movies? Ever? Let's set aside the fact that listing those means you aren't listing ANY classics of even like 10 years ago minus Titanic because highest GROSSING means jack squat. 30 years ago there might've been a smaller movie audience and tickets were obviously much less expensive so highest grossing doesn't even begin to fairly judge movies. And while I agree all of those are good, at worst, and some really great but that's not even close to a fair assessment and then adding on that they're probably the best 10 movies ever...again, just no.

You'll never have a set in stone top 10 best ever movies, but I can tell you that list is not even a rough draft of what it would be.
peechan123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
hakushaku to yousei is really..
nice
i hope theres a season 2..
Anime smile
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, and this is a bit of necroposting, hence the lock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22