• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Casshern Sins (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalilulelo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Casshern Sins (TV)

Genres: adventure, drama, romance, science fiction
Themes: amnesia, androids, cyborg, post-apocalyptic

Plot Summary: After the murder of Luna, the robot society that rules the planet starts to rust and decay. Death and despair spread through the land like wildfire. The only one unaffected by the affliction that becomes known as "The Ruin" is Luna's assassin, Casshern. Unable to remember if he really triggered this capital sin against the entire mechanized civilization, Casshern embarks on a journey to unravel the mystery that connects him, Luna, and the plague.
----------------------------------

i just checked on search if this topic is already there but didn't saw it so i just made one....

last week i watched the first episode and it was really interesting...the dark envirement and this apocalyptic stage is well done in animation...music was really good i always hear stuff with my surround system with xtra bass and it was overhelming it took me really in ....it fits the atmoshere really well....
story wasnt that much evolved in the first episode...i didn't kow what the series would go to.. kinda the same as the reviews said that all was good but the story could be a problem...
after watching episode 2 which was really really a hell of a episode...i have to say awesome!this is just exactly how i wanted the story to be evolved and it fits perfectly in the whole animation...this episode was so fuxin epic...action sequences where great and dialouges were epic...i watched the other fall animes too and have to say 2nd ep of casshern is the best of all series so far it was just perfect in my point of view...a really good episode...now cassh looks really promising to me

btw the OP is the worst of all fall animes that i saw...and the ending is just average..

what do you think about it?
FrederickIIofHohenstaufen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
it didn't at all bother you that he looked like a power ranger? The art is stylish and kudos for high production value, but i was underwhelmed by the story; i have a feeling the entire show is going to shape up to be an Oedipus the King clone. The lego robots also bothered me, but im willing to overlook the blaring flaws because the show LOOKS pretty
lalilulelo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
i like how they didn't deny the fact that this is based oa a 70's you see it obviously in the character art and style and to keep that in touch with new animation and stuff is quite admirable...not even using a sense of humor...its great so far story looks very good by now dunno whats so underwhelmed about it...storys dont have to be complex all the time so that its hard to understand witha lot of interpretation...if the story is entertaining its a success and what I've seen so far is really entertaining

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree a story doesnt need to be complex, and i also understand that it is from the 70's but to quote Yahtzee, "should a remake blindly parrot the original, or should it take the oppertuity to improve upon them using our future space technology"

I just dont see this as a grand departure from the original style; if Cassern underwent a minor facelift, lost that rediculous collar that looks like it can take an eye out, and got a more edgey look, id be a lot more forgiving
lalilulelo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
lol i understand that but dunno i dont have any trouble with it, but to tell teh truth i really like when he's not weaing his headiee and we can see his volument hairstyle which looks awesome
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
FrederickIIofHohenstaufen wrote:
I agree a story doesnt need to be complex, and i also understand that it is from the 70's but to quote Yahtzee, "should a remake blindly parrot the original, or should it take the oppertuity to improve upon them using our future space technology"

From what little I know, but which others seem to confirm, the story is actually going in a somewhat different direction already, so it's hardly "blindly parroting" the original.

As for the animation style...I happened to be a pretty big Saint Seiya fan back in the day, and there is a certain amount of resemblance here, so that is fine by me. The goofy suit also works better when stylized like this.

I've seen the first two episodes and at the very least this is entertaining enough to keep my interest on a weekly basis, which is quite alright.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the animation and stuff was beautiful, especially for Ringo, but the designs do nothing for me, the plot is just sort of . . . there, and the main character and his fight scenes seem rather dull. Also, while I'm aware that I have this all backwards, the similarities in design to Rockman (particularly Rockman X and Zero) keep bothering me. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
maybe it's because my heart is a little rotten ball of cynicism, but i cant help but think the series is going to abondon the story for the high action fight scenes, realize it forgot the plot halfway through and then play catch up. I hope it doesnt happen, and i pray that Chassern undergoes a costume change, because the F***EN V tatooed on his head makes him look stupid, I just cant take him seriously with that completely useless hood orniment.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
I've become completely enamored with this series since its debut. Its such an awesome series so far. A Brutal and Harsh setting, coupled with amazing fight animation. And so freaking depressing.

I for one LOVE the 70s throwback design of the lead, it clashes so well with the post-apoc setting. He's shinny and new, and the world is dead on its feet. It tells us everything we need to know without saying anything. There;s so much subtle depth to this show if you look beyond the obvious. I have no prior history with the Casshern franchise, but its stylings suit this type of story well, I can see why they used them

I've done personal reviews of each episode so far on my Anime Blog (I love this show that much) Episode 1, Episode 2 expressing my full thoughts on the series so far. Which are numorous. The general gist is that the whole package feels like an anime Dark Tower or Post-Apocalyptic Megaman. And I dig that mightily.

Suffice to say I'm with this show to the end.
lalilulelo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
ahh i know how you feel this show is great and im addicted to it
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Impressive 1st and 2nd episodes, I think I found my new fall series. Whether or not it can replace the void left by Geass/Frontier will remain to be seen. Razz
Raida|23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
EP02: the good impression I had from EP01 is confirmed, though I hope it's gonna have more then 13 eps -I fear it could look a bit rushed otherwise. I dont like too much OP/ED themes, the songs I mean.

In the various series I'm followin this fall, right now Casshern is the one that have most of my interest. We'll see in the next weeks if it stays like this.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually kinda hope its a 13 episode series, as I fear it could run the risk of string itself out too much. Which could wear thin in the long run.
Ardlien

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
The first episode really only had the visuals to intrigue me, but the second builds from the atmosphere of the first to bring themes that I hope will stay with the series to the forefront. I also noticed the music a lot more and enjoyed the darkness it often evokes.

One thing that I can't quite grasp is the way Casshern speaks. Is it a type of japanese accent the way in english we can speak while pretending to be robots? It just seems different from any of the other characters.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
Its all Greek to me!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4