• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disappointment in Cowboy Bebop?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennykillek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I recently bought and watched all of Cowboy Bebop after hearing absolutely nothing but praise of it by just about all of my favorite anime critics. I finished it, and I felt a little dissapointed. I knew many things going into it, that the music was a big part of the story, that the characters were the main draw, and that it was mostly episodic in nature, but I still didn't really get into it very much. There were parts that I really like, like Pierrot le Fou, Speak Like a Child, The Real Folk Blues, and The Ballad of Fallen Angels, but most episodes left me feeling... "meh".
It's odd too, because I see no reason intellectually why this didn't work for me, I loved all the characters, I really enjoyed most of the music choices, and when it really delve into Spike and Viscious' story, I got into it quite a bit. Still, almost every episode left me feeling nothing. A lot of the dialogue was fun, but most of the stories seemed superfluous without any real depth or emotional draw. I find that rewatching some episodes help me enjoy them more, but I can't help feeling like I'm missing something. It has been hailed as the anime messiah, but I wouldn't give it more than a 6 or 7 out of ten. So what do you think, ANN community, am I missing something (in which case please explain to me) or did any of you feel the same way?

[EDIT: Spelling of thread title corrected. I couldn't stand to look at that anymore. - Key]
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I think it's over hyped, but Bebop is very good and is regarded as a classic for justifiable reasons. I think in this community, you're more likely to produce a "nah, it's just you" type reaction.

And I'll be the first one to say it.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
You've got to take into account that the time Bebop was released also coincided with a large boom in western exposure to the medium. On a personal note, til CMX started showing Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star here in the UK, my own exposure to anime was very limited, to say the least. Pre-2000, there aren't a lot of anime that captured the imagination the way Bebop did (the original GitS and Akira being the standout exceptions). Bebop was, at the time, a refreshing, and dare I say more 'cool' way of portraying what was (to a vast majority of westerners) simply a cartoon, You have to take the release date into context, since for myself, and a lot of anime fans, it was confirmation that anime wasn't just a passing fad; it genuinely had story-driven elements of an adult nature. Speaking on a personal level, it awakened me to the fact that animation could be used in very adult ways. I appreciate that other, more 'serious' anime had come before it, but it was a more accessible conduit to anime than, say, Akira was, with its convoluted storyline and mediocre animation. I realise I'm opening a can of worms with this statement, but I honestly believe that Bebop was the first series that made it 'Okay' to talk about anime to people whose only exposure to the medium had been through Disney films. It bridges cultural gaps like no other anime.

Me: "Oh, I like anime, yeah"
Person: "Like Akira, yeah? What's that all about, then?"
Me: "..."

When introducing anyone to anime for the first time, Bebop is my go-to title. Why? Because it deals with adult themes without being overly complicated, it showcased what anime was capable of back when it was released, and it also has a more than passable dub. To date, it's the only series I would recommend the dub over the native subs (again, I realise I'm opening a huge can of worms here). It's vastly accessible to someone looking to get into anime for the first time, without falling into the traps of tired storyline and clichéd characters.

For me, Bebop can never be rated highly enough as a result. Obviously I understand this is entirely subjective and respect opinions to the contrary.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I was very underwhelmed by Bebop on my first viewing, though I do plan to re-watch it in the near future now that I know what to expect from it. In general I'm not a huge fan of the more episodic anime out there, which Bebop definitely is.

I honestly can say that I hardly remember any specific episodes. There are a few moments that stick out but mostly because I've seen them referenced elsewhere. The only really memorable thing for me was the main Bebop crew because they are definitely distinctive characters.

I might like it more now that my expectations of it are in line with what it actually is but for me personally, I can quite confidently say that Bebop is never going to be one of the "great" anime.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Well it is certainly well loved and considered a classic by many, but that really shouldn't be something your concerned with. If the show didn't do it for you then so be it watch something else. I myself also only thought it was ok. Not bad by any stretch but I also had gone in after having it be over hyped a consequently felt let down. I saw it years after I started watching anime so it wasn't responsible for opening the medium to me or anything so maybe that factors in as well.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
kennykillek wrote:
I finished it, and I felt a little dissapointed. I knew many things going into it, that the music was a big part of the story, that the characters were the main draw, and that it was mostly episodic in nature, but I still didn't really get into it very much. There were parts that I really like, like Pierrot le Fou, Speak Like a Child, The Real Folk Blues, and The Ballad of Fallen Angels, but most episodes left me feeling... "meh".
It's odd too, because I see no reason intellectually why this didn't work for me, I loved all the characters, I really enjoyed most of the music choices, and when it really delve into Spike and Viscious' story, I got into it quite a bit. Still, almost every episode left me feeling nothing.
Nope, it's not just you. I know what you mean. Most episodic/slice of life series leave me feeling that way with only a few exceptions. I'll mildly enjoy it while Im watching it but as soon as that ep ends, I feel like it didn't really stand out and that it was just kinda.... meh. I felt that way about Wandering Son. Beautiful artwork, decent characters, good music, but didn't leave me with much of an impression.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I also watched it knowing about all the hype. The only thing that kept me watching was the characters. Despite that, I feel that it's a series that's worth watching at least once. I even put some of the OST on my iPod.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I seem to think it is best watched when you are starting out, I think that perhaps it is a good whow of how mature the medium can be. It is not too hard core to start, but also got a little depth to not be a snooze fest. Nostalgia is probably a big part of why it is so acclaimed.

It is rather odd that I can't seem to remember a lot of the episodes very clearly, mostly tidbits: the ones I mostly remember are Mushrrom Somba, Cowboy Andy, and that one with evil alien around the ship.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
....critics........I knew many things going into it,

If you want my opinion, these I believe is the crux of of the matter. The more you think you know about something the less interesting it is to actually watch it, as part of the joy of entertainment has been removed (discovering things for yourself and forming your own conclusions and opinions.) Likewise, reading reviews beforehand, where people criticize a work, causes you be more critical of the work when you actually watch it and form expectations of said work which may turn out to be false causing you to be disappointed. I suggest avoiding or limiting your usage of critical reviews in the future, or read them post viewing. I would also suggest limiting what you know about a series going into it, to say...simply a plot description and a trailer.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
If you want my opinion, these I believe is the crux of of the matter. The more you think you know about something the less interesting it is to actually watch it, as part of the joy of entertainment has been removed (discovering things for yourself and forming your own conclusions and opinions.) Likewise, reading reviews beforehand, where people criticize a work, causes you be more critical of the work when you actually watch it and form expectations of said work which may turn out to be false causing you to be disappointed.
You are a genius. thank you.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
kennykillek,

IMO, what you're saying is akin to say, "I hate chocolate ice cream. I know everyone likes chocolate ice cream, but I can't abide the taste. Is there something wrong with me?"

The tongue-in-cheek answer is: "Yes, there is something wrong with you because, as you said, *everyone* likes chocholate ice cream."

But the real answer is that whether or not you like chocolate ice cream is a matter of personal taste. This is especially true if you say that you don't find any particular part of Cowboy Bebop to be bad, but that you feel like you're missing something and that it doesn't really appeal to you.

Don't feel like you're obligated to like something just because everyone else likes it. It's always better, of course, if you can point out what it is about something you don't like, but ultimately you don't need to do that, anymore than you would need to justify why you don't like chocolate ice cream.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I even put some of the OST on my iPod.

Ack, I made a egregious error in not mentioning that the music left an impression. Especially the OP, that sequence was my favourite part of the show.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
kennykillek,

IMO, what you're saying is akin to say, "I hate chocolate ice cream. I know everyone likes chocolate ice cream, but I can't abide the taste. Is there something wrong with me?"

The tongue-in-cheek answer is: "Yes, there is something wrong with you because, as you said, *everyone* likes chocholate ice cream."

But the real answer is that whether or not you like chocolate ice cream is a matter of personal taste. This is especially true if you say that you don't find any particular part of Cowboy Bebop to be bad, but that you feel like you're missing something and that it doesn't really appeal to you.

Don't feel like you're obligated to like something just because everyone else likes it. It's always better, of course, if you can point out what it is about something you don't like, but ultimately you don't need to do that, anymore than you would need to justify why you don't like chocolate ice cream.

That's not true I hate chocolate ice cream.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
NegativeGate wrote:

What the...? What the hell is wrong with you?! Are you some kind of monster?? You can't be human! Just... just get away from me! Get away!!! Razz
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
NegativeGate wrote:

What the...? What the hell is wrong with you?! Are you some kind of monster?? You can't be human! Just... just get away from me! Get away!!! Razz

...but...but I like strawberry...

On topic though I will agree that the soundtrack was the best part for me and that I only seem to remember bits and pieces of the show as well. The movie seems to have completely deleted itself from my memory but I know i saw it.

Also there are less defenders of the show here than I expected, most people are taking a neutral stance, making this far less hysterical then I had initially hoped
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6