• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disappointment in Cowboy Bebop?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Holy thread derailment, batman Shocked
Sebow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
Actually I purposely disregarded it because NGE is no different from any other controversial work, anime or not.

I don't care what your excuse is. I've been watching anime longer than most people on this site and if I say NGE, I mean it. Surely you have the intelligence to realize if I meant other series, I'd have been more general?

Perhaps I'm giving you too much credit.

Give it up, man, if somebody refers to NGE as "any other work" they're obviously a child, save your reply fuel for when he actually reaches the age of enlightenment.

dirkusbirkus wrote:
Holy thread derailment, batman

Yeah... listen, kiddo, here's 5$, so beat it, we'll give you our signatures after we adults are done talking.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote
Before the mods come to tell everyone to shut up, I'd just like to thank the ANN community at large for granting the one wish I made at the tail end of the first page.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
Sebow wrote:
Give it up, man, if somebody refers to NGE as "any other work" they're obviously a child, save your reply fuel for when he actually reaches the age of enlightenment.

Hence the redaction.

It's hard to stop caring for trolls. It's a bad habit of mine I leave out a saucer of milk I'm trying to correct in 2012.

Perhaps if I shoot the milkman... Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
Sebow wrote:
dirkusbirkus wrote:

Yeah... listen, kiddo, here's 5$, so beat it, we'll give you our signatures after we adults are done talking.

The dollar sign is supposed to go before the number.

Maybe Cowboy Bebop did not have a huge effect on the industry, but it most likely had an influence on the anime watching community in the west. It is rather interesting that you could also say that some of the settings were pretty easy to conect with a western audience, due to some names, music and such.

Spike used a gun while his enemy was the one with a sword, the japanese usually have a tendency of makeing the villains are the ones with the guns. The sword can be considered as being much more honorable, that they keep to a code and use their own strength, while the use of guns can be dirtier, even the most skilled and honor bound samurai could die from a gun. In the west it can often even be reversed, the use of guns can be a show of being part of the new age, pistols especially show that they do have skill that they don't have to rely on machine guns. Swords could say that they are out of sink with the time, perhaps that they belive in survival of the strongest.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Sebow wrote:
dirkusbirkus wrote:

The dollar sign is supposed to go before the number.

Maybe Cowboy Bebop did not have a huge effect on the industry, but it most likely had an influence on the anime watching community in the west. It is rather interesting that you could also say that some of the settings were pretty easy to conect with a western audience, due to some names, music and such.

Spike used a gun while his enemy was the one with a sword, the japanese usually have a tendency of makeing the villains are the ones with the guns. The sword can be considered as being much more honorable, that they keep to a code and use their own strength, while the use of guns can be dirtier, even the most skilled and honor bound samurai could die from a gun. In the west it can often even be reversed, the use of guns can be a show of being part of the new age, pistols especially show that they do have skill that they don't have to rely on machine guns. Swords could say that they are out of sink with the time, perhaps that they belive in survival of the strongest.

You know, not enough people beat each other to death with sticks these days.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
NegativeGate wrote:
You know, not enough people beat each other to death with sticks these days.
Maybe use of sticks/staves can refer to being used by the old or wise, someone who is beyond useing weapon that is built to kill. Or maybe someone who has a childish disposition with no real killer insinct (like a character based off Sun Wukong).
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Hence the redaction...

Yes, thanks for not adressing the more important part of my argument and accusing me of something you consider trolling and I consider undermining an argument. I apologize for injuring your pride and good day to you.

Last edited by jl07045 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
kennykillek wrote:
I recently bought and watched all of Cowboy Bebop after hearing absolutely nothing but praise of it by just about all of my favorite anime critics. I finished it, and I felt a little dissapointed. I knew many things going into it, that the music was a big part of the story, that the characters were the main draw, and that it was mostly episodic in nature, but I still didn't really get into it very much. There were parts that I really like, like Pierrot le Fou, Speak Like a Child, The Real Folk Blues, and The Ballad of Fallen Angels, but most episodes left me feeling... "meh".
It's odd too, because I see no reason intellectually why this didn't work for me, I loved all the characters, I really enjoyed most of the music choices, and when it really delve into Spike and Viscious' story, I got into it quite a bit. Still, almost every episode left me feeling nothing. A lot of the dialogue was fun, but most of the stories seemed superfluous without any real depth or emotional draw. I find that rewatching some episodes help me enjoy them more, but I can't help feeling like I'm missing something. It has been hailed as the anime messiah, but I wouldn't give it more than a 6 or 7 out of ten. So what do you think, ANN community, am I missing something (in which case please explain to me) or did any of you feel the same way?

alot of people don;t like it too, don't worry about it. Are you an American? If not, then it probably explains why you don't like that anime. Cowboy Bebop is only very popular in US. It did horrible in Japan. Just like EU thinks Saint Seiya and Captain tsubasa are very good anime, but Americans think those sucks. No big deal.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Sebow wrote:

dirkusbirkus wrote:

Pretty funny you'd refer to maturity there when this thread's degenerated into one big pissing match. Still, as long as you're trying to look the big man in front of your internet buddies, right?

You sure told me Rolling Eyes

Spotlesseden wrote:
Cowboy Bebop is only very popular in US. It did horrible in Japan. Just like EU thinks Saint Seiya and Captain tsubasa are very good anime, but Americans think those sucks. No big deal.

This isn't true in the UK. Last I checked, we were also part of the EU.

Just sayin'
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I wish people would stop repeating the "fact" that "Cowboy Bebop did terribly in Japan". It did well in Japan, enough to warrent a movie. It just did better here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish people would stop repeating the "fact" that "Cowboy Bebop did terribly in Japan". It did well in Japan, enough to warrent a movie. It just did better here.

It didn't just do well in Japan, it did great.

Sold an average of 16,768 copies per volume on its first release. To put that in perspective, that is better than Death Note, Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, Negima!, Darker Than Black -Ryuusei no Gemini-, Honey & Clover, either series of Strike Witches, Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Steins;Gate and Toradora!.

So yeah, it did great in Japan. And if I add in the re-release figures, it does better than K-ON!, any of the Haruhi seasons, the original Fullmetal Alchemist and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2, as well as a crapload of stuff more.

For the record, I don't think Cowboy Bebop is a Masterpiece, but it sure is flawless. I gave it Excellent because it fully deserves it. The music, the animation, the art, the great dialogue and one-liners, the atmosphere, the tone, the wide-ranging styles, the sheer coolness of it . . . all fantastic.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

fine, it did well in Japan, but there is a huge different between Japan and US. Didn't Bandai said that they sold over 1 million Cowboy Bebop dvds in US?

k-on was best selling bluray TV series in Japan for only about 500k. Maybe Madoka passed it now. I have no info in dvd sales.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-02-22/k-on-is-1st-tv-anime-franchise-to-sell-500000+bds
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
It is my understanding that Cowboy Bebop didn't do well initially in Japan. Namely because they only actually aired half the episodes. It obviously did well in the long run though.

Spotlesseden wrote:
fine, it did well in Japan, but there is a huge different between Japan and US. Didn't Bandai said that they sold over 1 million Cowboy Bebop dvds in US?

Keep in mind though that you have to take into account population difference if we're gauging it's popularity from sales numbers. A show will sell more units in a country with a much greater population even if the actual popularity is the same. (Not that I'm saying it's the exact same).
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Edit: I swear that ikillchicken's note on population wasn't there when I first wrote this ... Anyway, in response to the numbers question:

You do realize that the US has almost 3 times the population of Japan, right (internet claims US currently is at 307,006,550 while Japan has 127,450,460 ... plus US sales would I'm sure also include Canada, so add in another 34,108,752). So a lot of that "huge" difference can be accounted for there, since anime DVD ownership is a niche thing in both places, at least as far as I can tell based on what I've heard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6