• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: JAST USA Looks Into Licensing Steins;Gate Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
The main reason why the group is in drama city is because the lead person for the group. (he was running the main site and got the group together but didn't do any of the hacking or translating) didn't tell anyone about the e-mail he got from JAST up in till a few days ago.

He got that mail months ago in September.

You can see why people would be upset given that one person who didn't really do much wants to sell out.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I already understood that but in the long run, isn't it better if they "sold out" as long as each member got their dues? ESPECIALLY if it's a steam offer then 100% they should do it just to get VN's even an inch into the mainstream.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
You would think that would work out in the long run, but there's really no way to tell at this point till someone updates their blog or status.

The project's at a standstill even if the main translator is still hard at work editing and re-translating the scripts. One person can't do everything and at some point down the line everyone in that group is going to have to decide if giving the translation to JAST is the way to go or if there's another way to go about getting an official release done.

In the end the goal of the project has been to get S;G out in English so more people can read the source material and enjoy it just as much as the anime and manga. But the act of one person can ruin it for a group. It's all wait and see at this point.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I already understood that but in the long run, isn't it better if they "sold out" as long as each member got their dues? ESPECIALLY if it's a steam offer then 100% they should do it just to get VN's even an inch into the mainstream.

Yeah i lurked awhile on @chan for that info as well, but this seems to be the case for the main translator. He did most of the work while the rest where willing to take credit for it,
while it's drama I would personally would to see steins gate on steam along with my girl friend is the president. That game has to be most 4th wall shattering eroge i have played in years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
The main reason why the group is in drama city is because the lead person for the group. (he was running the main site and got the group together but didn't do any of the hacking or translating) didn't tell anyone about the e-mail he got from JAST up in till a few days ago.

He got that mail months ago in September.

You can see why people would be upset given that one person who didn't really do much wants to sell out.

I believe that he denied their offer though? I don't think that's selling out...

Quote:
As for myself, I can tell you that JAST has indeed contacted me. One e-mail even mentioned Steam being interested in a playable demo. I did not reply to those mails. At the beginning of our translation project, I told Reading Steiner that I’d only work with them if that would speed up the game’s release. Needless to say that we’re still waiting for Chaos;Head. I can only speak for myself but RS and I made very clear that we are not interested in money, just the release of this wonderful Visual Novel. This hasn’t changed and it never will.

It is kind of odd that he never let anyone know about the e-mail, but apparently several members disappeared without a trace during that period of time so there was no way of letting them know in the first place? Hopefully the main project doesn't completely fall apart, but it looks as if it already has.

Last edited by zeopower6 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:

If I were on the fan team, volunteering my time on this game, I might be rather hesitant to accept an outside party, especially if the situation was as ninajpet says. Not knowing the specifics, I could fear that the project will be taken away from me with no credit or compensation for my work, and that would make me a little peeved.

It has nothing to do with the big picture, it's about having something you've put hard work into ripped out of your hands by a controlling interest that you may not have wanted.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Will buy! I was thinking about importing the PSP version... Wait, is it coming out for XBOX360? Oh come on! That's the worst system for it to come out on! It's a region-blocked system, making it useless to me.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Will buy! I was thinking about importing the PSP version... Wait, is it coming out for XBOX360? Oh come on! That's the worst system for it to come out on! It's a region-blocked system, making it useless to me.

Actually, it's coming out on the PS3 later this year. If we get it in the states, it will likely be the PC version and not any of the ports (PS3, PSP, X360, iOS).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'd consider buying the Steins;Gate game if I could get a physical media release with bonus stuff in the box. Not interested in downloads, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JuicyB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
Hopefully JAST can make this happen regardless of neckbeard drama. Steins;Gate anime was great and I hear the game is even better... we need this in the US, bad.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

Oh, the US fan scene. Being part of a legal release and spreading VNs popularity in the US is seen as compromising morals and selling out.
Mirri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
Just to clear a little bit up for everyone:

...the first system that STEINS;GATE was released for was the 360. In different words,
"It was originally released for the 360, and every other release until now is a port."

Yes. The PC version is a port of the Xbox 360 version. It was released nearly a year later.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd buy this on Steam if it happens.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

Oh, the US fan scene. Being part of a legal release and spreading VNs popularity in the US is seen as compromising morals and selling out.

You're kinda missing what I was saying. I didn't say anything about morals or things of that nature I just said that one person taking all the credit for the group who did nothing major to help the translation. Can ruin it because they didn't talk to any members of the group and has the chance to jump the gun.

If you worked on something for half a year then someone went up to you and took it with out saying anything you'd be upset right?
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
Just to clear a little bit up for everyone:

...the first system that STEINS;GATE was released for was the 360. In different words,
"It was originally released for the 360, and every other release until now is a port."

Yes. The PC version is a port of the Xbox 360 version. It was released nearly a year later.

Whoops, forgot about that. Why would anyone debut a VN on the 360 of all platforms though? Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3