• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Shop Responds About Its 'Buy American' Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Be pretty funny if all they got was CMX titles, this being DC sponsored and all.

Emerje

I'd figure outside of maybe a couple titles (Tenjo Tenge and Megatokyo), the rest of the lot are collectors items.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:

I don't know what to make of it really, as I don't have a clue about the contents of whatever comic they are promoting, nor the "Steampunk Palin" comic.

Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
There wasn't a misunderstanding, it was clearly a joke and there were just too many people taking it too seriously.

With stuff like Asterix and the Falling Sky around, I don't think it's weird to take the message ('manga is a threat') seriously.

Or, hey, how about this:

"Help! Comics are in danger of disappearing as an artform. Many comics and comic shops have already disappeared.

Thirty or forty years ago comics were still extremely popular.

There were weeklies such as TinTin, Spirou and Eppo. But what a shame. In the mid ninties kids discovered games and prefered to sit in front of the tv to watch Nickelodeon and Jetix...

Ask a kid what comics he knows and he'll only be able to answer Donald Duck and Tintin.

They only know Superman and Batman from the movies. Who knows Lucky Luck or Captain Rob anymore? A modern child thinks Captain Rob is boring. They want fast paced comics. And they enjoy the violence in Japanse manga."

"Here, go buy yourself a manga with this."
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
Hey "A Comic Shop", you had me at Steampunk Palin. You should have advertised that instead. Smile
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that the shop owner did not anticipate just exactly how the flyer would be received.

Wanting publicity, and stirring the waters to get it, may result in something unanticipated.

For myself, I didn't do business with them before and I'm even less likely to do so now.

Mark Gosdin
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
I admit I was a bit upset at first, but after reading the store owner's response, I felt better. It was only a joke, just chill out, folks!

Also, Steampunk Palin, Robama?! If only real life politics was this interesting! Laughing
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Also, Steampunk Palin, Robama?! If only real life politics was this interesting! Laughing

I think it was once. I'd swear that I once read something about how William Howard Taft won in 1908 because he was filled with thousands of tiny homunculi that he could unleash upon his foes, or at least to stuff ballot boxes. The only reason that he lost in 1912 was because Woodrow Wilson was an 18th level Grand Wizard of fearsome arcane power... and racism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
factual_error

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
Why would we buy American when we all know that the Japanese model is always superior?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Okay, so it was all a joke...not a good joke, but a joke nonetheless.

Now can we all get back to our regular lives? At least until another oppurtunity for elitist Japanophiles to crap all over western media pops up....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TD912 wrote:

I don't know what to make of it really, as I don't have a clue about the contents of whatever comic they are promoting, nor the "Steampunk Palin" comic.

I'm interested and would like to know more about Steampunk Palin.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Wow glad to see this was all a joke, but not a good idea to pull off a joke like this. There's already a huge reaction over this with people saying nasty and flaming comment about American comic.

Shenl742 wrote:
Now can we all get back to our regular lives? At least until another oppurtunity for elitist Japanophiles to crap all over western media pops up....

I would prefer the term pro-Asian/Japanese supremacist to describe these people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
I can't get into American comics, with the exception of Star Wars and the Vertigo series Fables. At least manga storylines are self contained, unlike Marvel and DC, where everything is so linked that they have to retcon their entire universes every decade or so. Crossovers are rare in the manga world (Toriyama and Oda's DBZ/One Piece story being the rare exception). Well, that or fan fiction. Very Happy

That and the fact that 1) regular comics are so much harder to store and save without some kind of special box and 2) you generally don't have to bag and board manga, unless it's those Evangelion ones from the 90s that were published in pulp comic fashion.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
factual_error wrote:
Why would we buy American when we all know that the Japanese model is always superior?

Because it isn't. Both have their merits. You probably haven't even ever read American comics.

Anyways, this is proof that manga/anime fans get too easily butthurt.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
That and the fact that 1) regular comics are so much harder to store and save without some kind of special box and 2) you generally don't have to bag and board manga, unless it's those Evangelion ones from the 90s that were published in pulp comic fashion.

All Marvel, DC and most inde comics are now sold in Hard Cover and TPB format as well as digital so storing an American/European book is no harder then a Japanese one.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
It's a misunderstanding just because they said so? Convenient.

What, exactly, was misunderstood here? They still intend to trade manga for American comics. Why manga specifically? Why not other American comics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4