• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Mission Critical

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Having a informative narrative at the very beginning of a new series seems like a natural and fitting way to set the mood of a show.

If it's done well. It can also be done tremendously poorly.

I'll raise you Princess Tutu and go with Revolutionary Girl Utena for opening narratives. Of course, both of those were fairy tales...

And you also don't need an informative narrative to set a mood. Witness Neongenesis Evangelion. You want a mood-setting opening? It doesn't get much better than the start of episode 1, and there's no infodump until later in, and it's done incrementally.

I think the "opening informative narrative" is a crutch that shows use to introduce their premise rather than coming up with a more creative way of introducing the back story.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Also, Trigun is way better than Wolf's Rain, Zac. Razz

Though the Trigun manga holds up better than the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I didn't imply informative narratives were needed to set a mood. I've only said that informative narratives logically fit pretty damn well at the very beginning of a new series.

Quote:
I think the "opening informative narrative" is a crutch that shows use to introduce their premise rather than coming up with a more creative way of introducing the back story.

If it's a crutch so be it. I'd rather a writer play to their strengths and focus on the areas of a story that they feel needs to be covered instead drumming up new and satisfying ways to introduce a fictional world to a few overly critical people.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Why have you got to be such an ass dude? What you're saying here is a perfectly reasonable point that's in no way going to start a fight. ...

OTOH, the last time I though I made a perfectly reasonable point that I was not in any way expecting to start a fight was when I was informed that I am not allowed to argue with you, so I wanted to make it clear, to avoid the same thing happening, that I was not talking to you, but rather to others who might have been wondering about that same thing. Its not everyone who's done much research on the economic history of the Caribbean in the 1600's and 1700's.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Lawsuit: Maybe ADV can dig up 8 million looking under their couch, perhaps.

From an external perspective, if the Funimation case has some merit (and repeating from the relevant comment thread, IANDL and don't know if it does or not), I hope a settlement will be reached at something a bit less than that, paid over time, and they can avoid paying too much tithe to the legal profession.

Quote:
Winter 2012: Worst season ever? Say what? I'm watching 7 series, which is normal for a Winter season, but all of them seem good so far. I count 2 A- (Booty Pirates, Fake Bakemonogatari), 3 B+ (Onegai Sensei, Another and Inu x Boku) and a couple of B- (DxD and Zero 4). I certainly wouldn't complain about this one at all. A 35% success rate for the season is better that most.

Given that its really 17.3 series, that's a 40% success rate. OTOH, I wouldn't ever count it that way: since I could never keep up with every series even if they were all great, if I've got 3+ streams to follow, I'm happy. At the moment I have Chihaya Furu, Miniskirt Space Pirates and Knight in the Area, plus lots of titles to catch up with from the last two seasons, so I'm happy. Plus they are almost all on Crunchyroll, so I don't have to sit through ads on Hulu+ to watch them on my Roku.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Regarding the whole showing vs telling thing, I think a lot of anime fans don't really want anime that "tell rather than show" or contain a bunch of info dumping, what they want is anime that build detailed worlds.

There are works of fiction that function like snapshots, giving you a quick look at the life of a character or a certain event or whatever. You don't know all the backgrounds of the side characters or details of the world, and you don't need to, because that is not what the work is about. Though I haven't seen it, it sounds like Redline is like this.

But there are also works that envelop you in a world, in its history and culture and background, etc. ...

Its sometimes said that a movie is a short story. One of the appeals of a seasonal series format is that a single broadcast season series can be a novella and a double broadcast season series can almost be a novel. When a double broadcast series gets a sequel of the same length, it can definitely be a novel.

Not saying that its always attempted ~ sometimes the series is a decompressed short story, or an anthology of short stories (Occult Academy comes to mind) ... but its possible.

But ... Redline is a movie. Complaining that it does not do what would be silly to attempt to do in the movie format strikes me as being a bit off.

For series set in already established worlds ... I very much like the idea of an "0.5" episode that is explicitly an info dump, which would be an extra on a physical media release, and which is widely streamed as advance publicity before the series premier.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Everybody says that every new season is the worst ever; looking at the lineup this season it looks solid enough for me. At least it appears that the tsunami of "cute X doing everyday things that you should laugh at" series is starting to slow.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

But ... Redline is a movie. Complaining that it does not do what would be silly to attempt to do in the movie format strikes me as being a bit off.

Yah, I agree, I had intended to focus on that more in my post, though since Zac mentioned that he was talking about more than just reactions to his Redline review I ended up speaking in more general terms.

Quote:
For series set in already established worlds ... I very much like the idea of an "0.5" episode that is explicitly an info dump, which would be an extra on a physical media release, and which is widely streamed as advance publicity before the series premier.

Huh. I actually like that idea a bit myself. Though they'd need to make sure that the series itself was still understandable without that (as forcing people to watch an entire episode info dump would just be annoying), providing that for those who want a bit more info upfront would be useful.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I never mentioned anything about Dtm specifically and as far as I can tell neither did the podcast.

They did actually. They singled me out. They didn't name me, but they did mention me specifically.* That's why I thought it only fair that I get the chance to reply. I have done so, and only kept replying because people were raging on me.

Key has said he doesn't want to hear anymore about it. I have to question his motives, since he is completely biased towards the show. But whatever, I said I don't like to repeat myself and you guys were going around in circles anyway. A moratorium is actually helpful, because then I don't have to put up with any more crap like this and this.

Skip to the 29:55 mark in case anyone was doubting me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
OTOH, the last time I though I made a perfectly reasonable point that I was not in any way expecting to start a fight was when I was informed that I am not allowed to argue with you, so I wanted to make it clear, to avoid the same thing happening, that I was not talking to you, but rather to others

Oh just shut up already man. I'm so sick of you and all your bullshit. I've told you that I'm not going to argue with you anymore. Deal with it. You can have a little passive aggressive shit fit if you must but I'm done with you.

dtm42 wrote:
They did actually. They singled me out. They didn't name me, but they did mention me specifically.* That's why I thought it only fair that I get the chance to reply. I have done so, and only kept replying because people were raging on me.

Okay man, fair enough. I wasn't saying they weren't talking about you. I was just saying that for me, a listener not familiar with all these goings on, it wasn't apparent.

(And yeah, I don't really want to get in the middle of this but I have to admit that I'm not sure why they're so surprised/annoyed that you keep posting when they keep posting to criticize you).
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
yesh why so serious people.. some times I really wonder anime fans are far divided from one another.

Moving this aside great podcast always and I can't wait for next one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Okay man, fair enough. I wasn't saying they weren't talking about you. I was just saying that for me, a listener not familiar with all these goings on, it wasn't apparent.

That's cool, I didn't mean to single you out. I was quoting you but was really responding to people who were wondering why I even brought it up in the first place. I only did so because Bamboo mentioned me on the podcast. Then she and Zac cast me in a negative light, even though I'm most certainly not one of those people who complain when ANN trashes a fanservice show (quite the opposite in fact).

And then I only kept on posting because people were attacking my stance and accusing me of needing medication. I'm a big boy, I can handle my fair share of sledging, but that was pushing the bounds of decency. Anyway, I was in a pickle; either I stop responding but let them think that they'd scared me off, or I respond but then they think I'm dragging the matter out when it was actually everyone else. I chose to defend myself, and for my troubles got likened to - and I quote - a "demented Chihuahua".

ikillchicken wrote:
(And yeah, I don't really want to get in the middle of this but I have to admit that I'm not sure why they're so surprised/annoyed that you keep posting when they keep posting to criticize you).

Exactly. I wonder that too.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll get to the central discussion topic later, but for now...

ArsenicSteel wrote:
I didn't imply informative narratives were needed to set a mood. I've only said that informative narratives logically fit pretty damn well at the very beginning of a new series.

I would have to agree, particularly when we're talking about the type of opening narrative that usually takes no more than one or two minutes at most during the first episode of any given series and is then often reduced to either literally nothing or, as an alternative, less than thirty seconds in subsequent episodes. I find those quite inoffensive myself.

Crest of the Stars, which was praised during the podcast, actually had quite a few of those opening narratives of varying length in addition to other instances where the exposition was provided in a more "natural" manner during the course of an episode. The thing is, it didn't exclusively resort to either method but combined the two.

I understand that "show, not tell" is usually a better option in the long run and Redline itself did not need more exposition, but I don't find any and all instances of "telling" to be inherently boring or offensive even if they're not particularly special or innovative. To be honest, I'm clearly not demanding more exposition but can certainly tolerate it.

In the end, we should accept that there's a lot of room for balance and stylistic or personal preferences in this matter. Especially when we're not talking about over five or ten minutes of pure exposition without any character actions or interactions, which is surely excessive, but about far less offending instances.

If anything though, I arguably prefer that previously mentioned crutch to the way the initial episode of Horizon did its exposition, by dumping all the historical information not at the beginning but during the ending credits. Now that's what I'd call truly unnatural. Wink

Last edited by nightjuan on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
As someone who writes both anime and manga reviews, I really enjoyed listening to this podcast. And I agree wholeheartedly that a review should be what the reviewer thinks of what they're reviewing, and not simply trying argue against someone else's words. That's the philosophy I use when I write my reviews.

Hearing Bamboo mention that at one point in her reviewing that she had relied on a checklist, I realized that I've been starting to fall into that same trap in my reviews. I definitely need to work on getting myself out of that trap. Thanks, Bamboo. I needed that wake up call.

And I also agree with Justin and Zac on the FUNimation vs. ADV and related companies lawsuit. Unfortunately, it's just going to be a "wait and see" situation... and it's going to be a bit of wait, since nothing's scheduled to really progress until October.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Bodacious Space Pirates...
Are we ever going to get the Spotlight for that?
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
I guess pacing is a pretty heated point of contention for Bodacious Space Pirates. Opinions vary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8