• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
First Gundam DVD question.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ftwrp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
was there a gundam 0079 box set release in America that was not the movies?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
Ahahaha, no. No.

Fans of the original series got screwed. The TV series DVDs were dub-only and have been out of print for years. Too bad, because it was a fairly good dub, though they seemed to ham it up on purpose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
My copy of the series is ten single DVDs, by Bandai with a 2001 copyright. I haven't noticed any boxsets go by, but I personally prefer singles, so I don't actively watch for them. The ANN encyclopedia doesn't list any box set releases. I put my set together a couple years ago through a combination of ebay and Used bins at FYE stores.

As for the dub, it should be noted that the original Japanese voice tracks were not properly preserved, and have been lost, so the English dub is what's available (barring Geraldo Rivera finding the master tapes in a basement vault).
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, no there haven't been. The English dub is out of print but if you're really willing to go out and try to look for them, the DVDs are available for very cheap.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Sam-I-Am wrote:
As for the dub, it should be noted that the original Japanese voice tracks were not properly preserved, and have been lost, so the English dub is what's available (barring Geraldo Rivera finding the master tapes in a basement vault).
Someone's been pulling your leg, as the series did eventually get a DVD release in Japan:
Wikipedia wrote:
The series won the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize in 1979 and the first half of 1980. By the end of 2007, each episode of the original TV series averaged a sales figure of 80928 copies, including all medias it was published in (VHS, LD, DVD, etc.).[1] The first DVD box set sold over 100,000 copies in the first month of release, from 21 December, 2007 to 21 January, 2008.[2]
Or see here: http://www.gundam.jp/
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
In other words, Bandai Entertainment could probably license the remasters and release bilingual discs, but they won't, because they don't think they can profit much from a show from 1979.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
In other words, Bandai Entertainment could probably license the remasters and release bilingual discs, but they won't, because they don't think they can profit much from a show from 1979.
^ What he said. I don't recall where, but at one point BEI said they were essentially "done" with First Gundam. They didn't even want to put out collections of the dub-only versions, let alone release a sub or dual-language version. This could always change of course, but I wouldn't count on it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Pretty much, seems they've given up on the entire UC timeline, period.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
I thought that the problem was that the Japanese producers were charging too much for Mobile Suit Gundam in Licensing.

Or something.

I for one would very much like a Sub set of this show, To go with my SDF-Macross and Armored Trooper Votoms sets for the Classic Mecha Trifecta.

Logically there is no reason for the whole series not be be in an Anime Legends box set at this point. Its a baffling pain in the ass why this is not the case.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Sam-I-Am wrote:
Someone's been pulling your leg, as the series did eventually get a DVD release in Japan:
Wikipedia wrote:
The series won the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize in 1979 and the first half of 1980. By the end of 2007, each episode of the original TV series averaged a sales figure of 80928 copies, including all medias it was published in (VHS, LD, DVD, etc.).[1] The first DVD box set sold over 100,000 copies in the first month of release, from 21 December, 2007 to 21 January, 2008.[2]
Or see here: http://www.gundam.jp/

It should also be noted that VHS (and most likely LD) copies were readily available in Japan up until 1999 - 2000 area; my VHS have the "Gundam Big Bang Project" intro/screen for the twentieth anniversary. So, something could have been replicated (if on DVD, preferably from the LDs), DVDs could have been printed much earlier.

As far as conspiracy theories about bilingual Gundam DVDs not available in the US, I'm much more a fan of the reverse importation theory.

While I need to ditch my Gundam tapes, I've still yet to find a more "permanent" replacement for them, as I still feel the Japanese DVD boxes are ridiculously priced and even an LD set is at a much higher, much more ludicrous price-point now.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear that the Japanese tracks weren't lost - would have been a shame for such a milestone series to have been lost.

As for where I'd heard the reports that they were lost, most of what I know of the series comes from reading threads and news articles here on ANN. Very possibly just a story or theory that got started at random, and repeated until it was widely believed as fact (Not important enough to be worth tracking it back, methinks).
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... had a bit more time to at least look a little - Wiki has this to say:

Quote:
On May 30th 2006, Bandai Entertainment re-released the English dub of the TV series in a 10 volume DVD set.(3) There was no Japanese audio track included, apparently because Yoshiyuki Tomino felt that the original mono mix was in too poor of a condition to use(4) However, in 2007 the original series was released on DVD in Japan, which sold over 100 thousand copies within a month's time from 21 December, 2007 to 21 January, 2008.(5)

and later, under 'compilation movies':

Quote:
The movies were released again in North America on May 7, 2002 in DVD format, available separately or in a boxed set. But these are available only with Japanese audio with English subtitles. This DVD boxset is identical to the 20th anniversary release of the movie compilation DVDs. The original voice cast members rerecorded their lines with the exception of those who were deceased. The 20th anniversary release is digitally remastered but many of the sound effects are replaced, most notably the futuristic gun sounds being replaced by louder machine gun sound effects. Also, the music soundtrack, while not remixed is rearranged and in some cases removed from some scenes. The vocal songs are rearranged also, especially in the closing credits of the second and third movies.

This dovetails with what I was remembering from threads a couple years ago, for whatever it's worth. "Poor condition of the mono mix" apparently got upscaled to "lost completely" at some point in the tellings, but then again, unusable isn't much different than gone forever.

(boldface added for emphasis, footnote brackets changed to parenthesis to avoid potential php errors)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1