• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 1 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Trustilotous wrote:
Panon wrote:
I'm curious, wasn't Zac's review of this while it was airing basically a blunt dismissal along the lines of "otaku targeted moe tripe with a predictable story that's been done before"

After which episode was that comment made?

He said this after the first episode, actually, in the 2011 Winter Preview Guide. Laughing

Zac wrote:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Story: whaaaaatever
Visuals: 5

So here we go: pink-haired cutsey-poo Madoka has a terrifying vision of an apocalyptic future where an unnamed threat is being fought off by a struggling magical girl with long hair. A little Sanrio-lookin’ cat mascot character tells her that if she wants to stop all this from happening, she has to become a Puella Magi. Next day at school a mysterious, stern, soft-spoken girl shows up and wouldn't you know it, it's the same girl from her dream. During a fateful trip to the mall, she gets a mysterious telepathic distress call from said Sanrio cat mascot thing and winds up having to save it from the mysterious girl, who's trying to kill it for some reason – then the Benevolent Magical Girl finally shows up, a bunch of crazy shit starts happening and then they ask Madoka to join the Puella Magi and presumably get the story moving.

In terms of plot, this is no different from your standard “late night magical girl show” where there's obnoxious loli fanservice in the opening credits (although surprisingly none in the episode itself) and the characters are mostly pasted-together moe archetypes. The story here is predictable, and it seems like they're taking a lot of cues from the last big “serious business” magical-girl-show-aimed-at-otaku, Nanoha. Normally I don't like this kind of thing.

But that “5” up there in the ratings box is entirely for how stunningly visually inventive Puella Magi Madoka Magica is. We open on a beautifully rendered apocalyptic landscape with some intense colors going on, and then transition into the “real world” where the backgrounds are all very pleasing to the eye – they look like modern art museum interiors or maybe Futurist Frank Lloyd Wright, with lots of intense but carefully placed angles. Then later in the episode things get really cool and the screen is awash in some really nifty street-art-meets-abstract-surrealism stuff, with elements pasted on like some kind of Banksian collage. I haven't seen anyone try to get this artistically ambitious in an otherwise boilerplate genre show since King of Bandit Jing; I have to assume that it's the hand of director Akiyuki Shinbo, whose stuff I also don't usually like, but the man is known for trying some crazy things visually and whatever he's doing here, it works. It's exciting to see someone try something different. It's a little jarring to see the extremely generic character designs wandering around through all this artistic madness; I can't say I care one bit about the story or what's going on, and I can't say I'd watch more of the series unless I were fast-forwarding until all these elements start popping up again, but I'm more than happy to applaud even a glimmer of visual inventiveness.

Although to be fair, my own initial impressions of Madoka Magica's first episode weren't so dissimilar. I think the the first episode becomes more and more appreciable the further you go along in watching the series, though, particularly when you reach the episode ten mark. (Oh, man... something tells me that Zac might go absolutely bats**t ecstatic over the next eight episodes if he already likes the first four so much!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Trustilotous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Ah so it was based on deceptive first impressions. It figures.
Altacia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
The price for all of the releases of Madoka are just ridiculous.

4 Episodes a DVD for 30 dollars? No Anime is that good.

Sure, I use to buy VHS for around the same for the same count but that was years and years ago.

Now? Nope.

Was really looking forward to Madoka being brought over here but this is the first release that has so disappointed me that I am staying with the Fansubs.

Sad Evil or Very Mad
Straight Pride

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
I'm curious, wasn't Zac's review of this while it was airing basically a blunt dismissal along the lines of "otaku targeted moe tripe with a predictable story that's been done before"

Yeah, he didn't realize how popular it was going to be.

But one year later he's corrected his pinion by parroting popular opinion.

What a tool.

Just remember that this site is basically a blog for so-called "reviewers"
That don't know crap they just tell people what they wanna hear.
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
He said this after the first episode, actually, in the 2011 Winter Preview Guide. Laughing

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. It's interesting to go from a position of near total dismissal to a positive review of it. Maybe one day we'll read a Zac review talking about how Idolmaster has charmed him (or maybe not)

I wonder if the new season grind played into that, Winter 2011 doesn't read like happy viewing times - I mean it did take him six shows to hit something he felt deserved a rating higher than something starting with a "1"
Trustilotous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Straight Pride wrote:
Panon wrote:

What a tool.

I smell unreasonable hate. Could it be that you dislike this show? If so then that's fine. However, I doubt you could provide any reasonable explanation to your undefended prejudice for this review. This is his opinion and just because it happens to match to opinions of many others doesn't mean he's pandering to anyone. That is just the world through his eyes.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Straight Pride wrote:
Panon wrote:

What a tool.

You do realize that his first review was based off of the first episode only right? The first episode was very generic for a magical girl show for other than the visuals. After the first episode, the show changes for the better.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Hey, glad you liked it, Zac.

It's challenging to write a review of only one third of a series like this since you don't have the whole plot to reflect on and work with, but props for giving the show a fair shake.

Actually, on that note, I am really curious, seeing as how you see all(?) the news about the show that gets posted here, how spoiled are you on the show, besides general "not what it looks like" hearsay?

It is kind of a shame that the price point is so high on this one (well, I don't think the SEs are that expensive). I think there are a lot of people that would enjoy it that are just going to take a pass on price alone. For all of those people, here's hoping a cheaper set gets released down the road (as for me, I'll be enjoying my LEs :D)

Just a word to everyone who is going to be buying this set that hasn't seen the whole show yet, and will thus be waiting a long long time for the conclusion: When the third volume is released later this year, rewatch episode 1 before you watch episode 10. That is all. You may thank me later.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Straight Pride wrote:
Panon wrote:

What a tool.

I'm usually not one to defend Zac, but in this case, I'll make an exception.

Zac only saw the first episode and had nothing else to judge it based on the first episode, which despite Nanoha vibes and really freaking awesome art experimentation near the end, was not exactly what one would call a "dynamite kick-off" for the series.

You, me, and probably everyone else here has probably dismissed an anime series once or twice in their lifetime based on the premise or a lackluster beginning. Zac went back, gave it a try, and really enjoyed it. He, like anyone else who partakes in entertainment, is allowed to do that. That doesn't make him a tool, and Zac has proven time and again that he does not just parrot popular opinion. Lurk a little more before you start running your mouth like that.
opn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Trustilotous wrote:
opn wrote:
madoka is probably without a doubt my favorite anime of 2010.

Actually this show aired in 2011. Definitely my favourite of 2011 as well.

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop sorry hit the wrong key didn't notice when i checked it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has complained...like, a lot...about Aniplex in the past I really want to make a point to voice my approval here. The Madoka release is exactly what they should be doing. The special editions are pricey for sure but they're still within the ballpark of sanity. In fact, I'd say that when you look at what you're getting, $75 a piece is perfectly reasonable. More importantly though, if you don't want to pay for all those fancy collector's sets they're also offering a relatively cheap regular edition. This includes a BD option too. It's...not exactly super cheap of course. Ideally I'd like to see them bring it down at least into the vicinity of maybe $75 total. Although, as is, you are getting a dub and a BD so at least we're in the ballpark of reasonability. So yeah, good job Aniplex. Please keep heading in this direction.

Altacia wrote:
4 Episodes a DVD for 30 dollars? No Anime is that good.

It's really pretty sad that fans these days have such a low opinion of anime. Has it really become such worthless, disposable garbage entertainment to you people that the prospect of paying over a hundred bucks for a series is inconceivable? If so, surely there must be something better you could be doing with your time.

Splitter wrote:
You, me, and probably everyone else here has probably dismissed an anime series once or twice in their lifetime based on the premise or a lackluster beginning. Zac went back, gave it a try, and really enjoyed it. He, like anyone else who partakes in entertainment, is allowed to do that. That doesn't make him a tool, and Zac has proven time and again that he does not just parrot popular opinion. Lurk a little more before you start running your mouth like that.

Lol. You know you're in trouble when even Splitter thinks your criticisms of Zac are stupid. Laughing
masat01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow Zac, way to change your opinion based on the popular one! Way to go! 10/10 would read again! A++ Reporting!

spoiler[not really]

Edit: Sounds just like most of ANN reviews really.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I still wonder what the point of dubbing it was. Deconstructing a genre that has zero clout in the US makes no sense to air on TV.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, a person's opinion of the first episode is the same as it is regarding the first four episodes later on, am I right? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. It's interesting to go from a position of near total dismissal to a positive review of it. Maybe one day we'll read a Zac review talking about how Idolmaster has charmed him (or maybe not)

Well, that's the preview guide, and that's just the first episode. I pretty much dismissed the show based on that first episode too. No one knew where it was going at that point, it was overhyped like crazy without much license yet, and while I thought it looked good and like it was going somewhere, based on one episode, I was in no way raving. I was honestly surprised when several weeks later, everyone was saying it was awesome. It's one episode, seriously people. After the first episode of Star Driver I thought it was gonna be the best thing ever too, and it crapped out on me. Hell, the first 2/3 of Durarara!! were just about ruined by the last third alone, which I wasn't prepared for at all by the fandom. S'why I can't review portions of things anymore without feeling hornswoggled. Anime hyper

ANYWAY. The real reason I'm posting is to add to the Princess Tutu raving. While I'm excited about seeing Madoka Magica, my favorite "subversions" of things are not the pure "BITTERLY DARK SATIRE" that Magica seems to be. I like those things, they're clever and hard to pull off, but my favorite subversions are more Ouran than The Wallflower, basically. I like it when a story can walk that line of totally exposing its tropes and what makes them work/what makes them doesn't, without insisting they need to be darkened and torn inside out. Princess Tutu is a really gorgeous love letter to magical girl shows, fairytales, ballet, so many other things, without betraying its core audience for the sake of satire (which it still indulges! There's a lot of satire, it's very dark, just in a reserved way.)

It is THE most clever and well-executed kids' anime I've ever seen, (From what I've heard, Magica also trades in its magical girl as show for young girls roots for a strictly older otaku audience.) It's absolutely beautiful, only gets better and better as it goes, oh my god you must see Princess Tutu if you like the kind of thing Magica is doing and want to see more. *O*

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 30