Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Alchemist Trading Cards


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 648

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Sweet!

Usually, only major hit shows get card sets. Announcing a set before the series is even released shows a great deal of faith in the product's success. It looks like FUNI is really giving FMA the marketing push it deserves. Too often some truly great, popular series in Japan will be brought in under the radar here with nary a whisper from the US liscensor (Kaledio Star and Scryed, to name just two) and no one even notices. FMA is one of the best series I've seen in years, and it's good to see that FUNimation is prepping it to be a major hit. It deserves every bit of hype it gets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlegreenwolf



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 4621
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I long outgrew my trading card days. I want toys. When do the plushies come in? A Gluttony plushy would be so cute, yet scare the living daylights out of me. *wants one* Action figures would be cool too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemharth



Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Trading cards eh? I already have a FMA card deck Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Patachu
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 1325
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Why don't they just give in and admit they want to do a FMA CCG?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Emerje



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 6222
Location: Maine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I long outgrew my trading card days. I want toys.


Heh, how do you outgrow cards but not toys? But I'm one to talk, I'm addicted to diecast and PVC. Anime catgrin

Quote:
When do the plushies come in? A Gluttony plushy would be so cute, yet scare the living daylights out of me. *wants one* Action figures would be cool too.


They're coming. Haven't heard an announcement yet, but Square Enix was showing off both the Japanese trading figures vol 2 and the action figures at E3 this year. Vol. 1 of the trading figs came out in June, vol 2 comes out in October, and the action figures are due out this month all in Japan.

You can see pics at Figures.com and order at HLJ.

Emerje
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Erufu



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 191

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's not a card game, I might buy some. I hate companies that announce they will release cards for a series, and then it ends up being a blasted game. What would be the greatest is if it not only had snapshots from the series but also included artwork.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
one3rd



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1795
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Usually, only major hit shows get card sets.


In Japan, it is a major hit show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Animefan16



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 999

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't Funimation wait until FMA premieres and becomes a hit before they start doing all this merchandising? THe .hack games and the tv shows got here at the same time and they weren't very popular. Maybe they were with anime fans. Funimation must be very confident that this would be a hit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 648

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:07 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Shouldn't Funimation wait until FMA premieres and becomes a hit before they start doing all this merchandising? THe .hack games and the tv shows got here at the same time and they weren't very popular. Maybe they were with anime fans. Funimation must be very confident that this would be a hit.


Which is why I applaud them for having faith in the quality of their product. Just because a show is a major hit in Japan doesen't mean it will work here (.hack being the perfect example) but FMA deserves to succeed, so I give them a great deal of credit for being so gutsy.

Can't wait to play the PS2 game...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Emerje



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 6222
Location: Maine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:25 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Funimation must be very confident that this would be a hit.


Well, partly that, and partly because if they wait for it to become popular before making merchandise then by the time it's released the show will be nearly over. They want to get this stuff out while it's hot and new, not after.

Emerje
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mirha77



Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm.. I would bet that the likelihood of this being a CCG are pretty good, since I don't think I've ever seen plain art cards come out of any funimation series. YuYu and DBZ/DBGT were both CCGs, but this company has done art cards, so I don't know. The big question is are the cards going to be any different from the six different collections that are currently out in Japan (Trading Cards series 1 & 2, Bromide Cards 1, and Photo Collections 1, 2, & 3). The figures are coming, and I've seen some nice pictures of the PVC figures which are supposed to be released soon (in Japan, not here.) Though, you can bet Funi will release figures. Does anyone else remember the rather frightening Yusuke, series 2 with what looked like heavy eyeliner? I dunno what's going to happen with FMA over here, since I know they're cutting it for air on cartoon network. I've heard rumor of them cutting the full opening scene of the first episode. Granted, Mushy mothers and bloody stumps are not kid friendly, but how much of this series is? So, depending on how much they try and kiddify FMA will shape the likelihood of whether the cards will be for kids (ie CCG) or for the more mature groups (art and story cards).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Animefan16



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Mirha77 wrote:
Hmmm.. I would bet that the likelihood of this being a CCG are pretty good, since I don't think I've ever seen plain art cards come out of any funimation series. YuYu and DBZ/DBGT were both CCGs, but this company has done art cards, so I don't know. The big question is are the cards going to be any different from the six different collections that are currently out in Japan (Trading Cards series 1 & 2, Bromide Cards 1, and Photo Collections 1, 2, & 3). The figures are coming, and I've seen some nice pictures of the PVC figures which are supposed to be released soon (in Japan, not here.) Though, you can bet Funi will release figures. Does anyone else remember the rather frightening Yusuke, series 2 with what looked like heavy eyeliner? I dunno what's going to happen with FMA over here, since I know they're cutting it for air on cartoon network. I've heard rumor of them cutting the full opening scene of the first episode. Granted, Mushy mothers and bloody stumps are not kid friendly, but how much of this series is? So, depending on how much they try and kiddify FMA will shape the likelihood of whether the cards will be for kids (ie CCG) or for the more mature groups (art and story cards).


They won't "kiddify" it. It's being shown in Adult Swim.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mirha77



Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:00 pm Reply with quote
My mistake. I shouldn't have said kiddify. But it will be edited. Lupin was edited. Bebop was edited, though not much. Gundam Seed was edited and it makes me sad. Whimper whimper. Cry cry. So, sorry for saying kiddify. I meant edit and marketed to. Even if it's on adult swim, if Funimation decides to market this to a younger audience, pushing CCGs would be more likely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Animefan16



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
You're right. It will be edited but Funi has said that even, though it would be edited, no footage will be taken out. They're just gonna digitize out some of the blood and stuff.

Last edited by Animefan16 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goshin



Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Posts: 288
Location: Illinois

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Can't wait to play the PS2 game..
Full Metal Alchemist 2 will have the same story as the anime.

I’ve played the first one at AX, and it’s pretty good. It’s a modest free-roaming RPG, with an ok targeting system and some nice cut scenes. Nothing too special in terms of graphics, but its fun nonetheless.

The second game, Full Metal Alchemist 2, which will debut sometime this month in Japan, is going be cell-shaded and will provide different scenarios from the anime.

Unfortunately there hasn’t been any release date for the second installment. But you know how that goes…support the first game and the second will make its way to U.S. shores.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group