• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm in a playful mood so I'll entertain

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
No, in fact, the only thing I've ever seen on this site that's made me not want to watch moe? The fans that come here in legions acting like they're some sort of oppressed minority on par with women not being allowed to vote. I've only seen maybe one or two short comments on why people should watch Nanoha. Most of you aren't doing that. Instead, you're wasting your energy saying "Carl should be fired" or "ANN has an agenda!" instead of saying WHY you like the show. So far, all I've gotten is that you don't think the whipping scene is fanservice. Okay, fine, that's a great, valid point. Anything else? Why do you like the show? It's moe? And...it has beams? Is that all?

Sticking to constructive criticisms to the review:

1. Did you actually read the thread about all the criticism on the review about lacking internal consistency? Or not explaining why he score things like music a C, which for what it is worth have absolutely nothing to do with how moe or how bad the story is. Even if he thinks it's generic he doesn't say so, and there's no way to know. Yet, a C? Why not an A or a F? He could've given such a grade and there's no way to tell why.

2. There's another point on internal consistency. The review says as much about Nanoha treading on the tropes of the genre in a very precise manner, especially on the part of the character drama. In that end, it was compared with CCS and Tweeny Witches...and yet those shows have A and B+ kind of scores for "story." Why the huge dip? Sure, it failed to achieve those heights, but a D? I am partial to those in this thread who suggested those external biases sinking the score an extra grade as a result.

3. Someone made a comment about how less than 1% of the show was cited (and they are not even plot-significant things) in the review, repeatedly, which became the basis of a major criticism for the show. While that's his opinion, it does make you wonder if the reviewer made a call on just a small part of the show and it taints the rest of the show unfairly. Whether or not this is the case I don't know, but it leaves your readers in the dark. It could've been more clearly articulated in the review at the very least.

4. For a show that gets panned on the fanservice element, the review doesn't mention how frequent it is. I think this is more a factual point that helps people to gauge a more clear picture of what Nanoha is. If I haven't seen the show before I would probably walk away with a wrong image of just how fanservice-y Nanoha was. Amid naked elementary school girls indeed :pedobear:
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Counter Arts wrote:
The reason why it's good then is that it is like Sailor Moon, CCS, Dragonball Z, and Gundam merged together.

Emotionally complex plot with awesome actions sequences that have at least some decent form of TACTICS. It's tactics WITHOUT the drawn out explanations of how the special technique was created and how hard they trained to get it.

THAT is why Nanoha is awesome!

Not to nit-pick since this is at least better reasoning, but I'd like a better explanation than "emotionally complex" and a bunch of shows rolled into one. Something that feels like a mash up isn't always good.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
Quote:
I personally think that the idea that this site has an agenda because the reviewers don't have the same tastes as you as ridiculous. I've seen high ratings given to shows like Kanon and Air here on ANN. There's people like you that are registered to the forum that like moe--hopefully, I'm assuming, for doing more than just complaining every time a reviewer doesn't agree with your point of view. The idea that ANN is some massive conspiracy to undermine the shows you like is ridiculous. I don't think I've ever read a review, news article, or column on this site that has made me go "oh, ew, everything in this one genre must suck". In fact, it convinced me to put Kanon and Air on my "want to watch" list on anime-planet.

What, you think saying crap like "moe overkill" in Kanon's review isn't indicative of an inherent unfair bias for you?

No, because not everyone likes moe, and for those that don't, they might find it overkill. That volume was still given something like a B, was it? Key reviewed the entire series and it was positive. I'm pretty sure Bamboo gave it a high rating, too.

Your tastes are selective. That doesn't mean that everyone that doesn't share your tastes mean they're a bad reviewer.

Just to let you know, I don't look at whether a reviewer gives a "B" or a "C" for a title, as there's always the risk of inconsistency with the writing. I prefer to look at the writing, as that tends to be the most indicative of the reviewers opinion of the title due to the fact that there's more detail. It may have been positive overall, but I can't help but notice that they couldn't simply resist sneaking in a thorn or two with outlandish wording.

I mean, I could have easily worded that phrase and informed non-moe audiences in a bunch of ways without sounding like a biased jackass:

"This show may not necessarily turn non-moe fans around, but..."

"Whether this show is right for you or not depends on whether you're into the moe genre..."

"This show is best viewed if you have an appreciation for moe-style titles..."

Of all the things he could have said, why'd he have to say something so stupid-sounding like "moe overkill"? That's just begging for flak.

And another thing, I'm not here to convince anyone about how great the Nanoha series is: I'm here to talk about the review itself, as that's what the point of a "talkback" is about.

Last edited by grgspunk on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
1. Did you actually read the thread about all the criticism on the review about lacking internal consistency? Or not explaining why he score things like music a C, which for what it is worth have absolutely nothing to do with how moe or how bad the story is. Even if he thinks it's generic he doesn't say so, and there's no way to know. Yet, a C? Why not an A or a F? He could've given such a grade and there's no way to tell why.

Isn't the music a small detail to quibble on? "Music: C" basically tells me "the music is generic", why should he add a random sentence saying something that's actually said...at the end of the review? I don't see how one sentence would've made this a better review.

Quote:
2. There's another point on internal consistency. The review says as much about Nanoha treading on the tropes of the genre in a very precise manner, especially on the part of the character drama. In that end, it was compared with CCS and Tweeny Witches...and yet those shows have A and B+ kind of scores for "story." Why the huge dip? Sure, it failed to achieve those heights, but a D? I am partial to those in this thread who suggested those external biases sinking the score an extra grade as a result.

He compares it unfavorably to those two shows. How is CCS and Tweeny Witches any less moe than Nanoha? I don't even know why Nanoha is considered moe, and on the surface it seems to me to be just the same as those shows, except that Carl thinks those shows do a better job at what they set out to do. (Plus, those scores you're citing--are they Carl's reviews, or someone else's? If it's another reviewer's review, then why do their scores say something about Carl's scores? Last time I checked, the ANN reviewers weren't a hive mind.)

Quote:
3. Someone made a comment about how less than 1% of the show was cited (and they are not even plot-significant things) in the review, repeatedly, which became the basis of a major criticism for the show. While that's his opinion, it does make you wonder if the reviewer made a call on just a small part of the show and it taints the rest of the show unfairly. Whether or not this is the case I don't know, but it leaves your readers in the dark. It could've been more clearly articulated in the review at the very least.

If you're talking about the whipping scene, I've said it's a good argument that you (general you) didn't find the scene fanservicey. I still haven't heard a good argument for why I should watch the show, though--just why I shouldn't listen to Carl. Which isn't making me want to watch the show, since...the review made me want to watch the show. So ignoring what the review tells me means I should ignore wanting to watch the show. O...kay...?

Quote:
4. For a show that gets panned on the fanservice element, the review doesn't mention how frequent it is. I think this is more a factual point that helps people to gauge a more clear picture of what Nanoha is. If I haven't seen the show before I would probably walk away with a wrong image of just how fanservice-y Nanoha was. Amid naked elementary school girls indeed :pedobear:

Okay, tell me then, how frequent did you find the fanservice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
No, in fact, the only thing I've ever seen on this site that's made me not want to watch moe? The fans that come here in legions acting like they're some sort of oppressed minority on par with women not being allowed to vote. I've only seen maybe one or two short comments on why people should watch Nanoha. Most of you aren't doing that. Instead, you're wasting your energy saying "Carl should be fired" or "ANN has an agenda!" instead of saying WHY you like the show. So far, all I've gotten is that you don't think the whipping scene is fanservice. Okay, fine, that's a great, valid point. Anything else? Why do you like the show? It's moe? And...it has beams? Is that all?

That was probably me. One of the big scenes he mentions is a spoiler[10-15 second clip of one of the main charachters being tortured by her mother for failing to aquire some gems for her. It shows her whipping her and some strips of clothing flayed off her back and bloody marks from the whip. ] Somehow this became an element of fanservice as he calls it and proof that the directors have a S&M fetish. Despite the fact that this is about .0008% of the show, it was worthy of being mentioned twice and the basis of proof that the directors have a S&M fetish. I'm personally not aware cruel treatment of a young girl is fanservice but it is to Carl apparently which seems really odd.

i figuire 13 episodes at ~22 minutes an episode = 286 minutes of anime or 17,160 seconds, of which those 17,000+ seconds 15 seconds prove a fetish.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
omoikane wrote:

Typically at most about once an episode for a 15 second period when she transforms. Their was one episode where they visited a hotspring on vacation that had a bit more fanservice but it was mostly aimed at the more adult supporting charachters.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
Of all the things he could have said, why'd he have to say something so stupid-sounding like "moe overkill"?

Because that's the short summary at the end of the review, that's meant to sum-up the words that came before it? The examples you listed wouldn't work for the section "moe overkill" came from.

Quote:
And another thing, I'm not here to convince anyone about how great the Nanoha series is: I'm here to talk about the review itself, as that's what the point of a "talkback" is about.

I think talkback could also be used to say why you disagreed with the review by telling us why you like the show. I haven't really been convinced Carl's wrong by all this arguing, I've just been convinced the fans are overly sensitive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
omoikane wrote:

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

That was probably me. One of the big scenes he mentions is a spoiler[10-15 second clip of one of the main charachters being tortured by her mother for failing to aquire some gems for her. It shows her whipping her and some strips of clothing flayed off her back and bloody marks from the whip. ] Somehow this became an element of fanservice as he calls it and proof that the directors have a S&M fetish. Despite the fact that this is about .0008% of the show, it was worthy of being mentioned twice and the basis of proof that the directors have a S&M fetish. I'm personally not aware cruel treatment of a young girl is fanservice but it is to Carl apparently which seems really odd.

i figuire 13 episodes at ~22 minutes an episode = 286 minutes of anime or 17,160 seconds, of which those 17,000+ seconds 15 seconds prove a fetish.

But couldn't it have just as easily been left out? Even if it was the tiniest portion of the show, why was it included at all? Did people necessarily need to see it happen to get the point? Maybe that was the reasoning.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:

"Whether this show is right for you or not depends on whether you into the moe genre..."

Of all the things he could have said, why'd he have to say something so stupid-sounding like "moe overkill"? That's just begging for flak.

You can write a sentence like that for literally every show ever and dismiss all of its faults. 'People who like this sort of thing will like this'. That's true for everything if you're not willing to actually examine the show itself; it's not a criticism at all, it's not even an analysis, it's just a statement.

I'll point to the parody review I did for Clannad 2 After Story in this year's preview guide:

Quote:

Rating: whatever it is you think the rating should be (of 5, but you can change that scale if you need to because it might be unfair)

Review: I like this show as much as you like it, if not more, or less. It's about people doing things. I enjoyed it, but also liked some parts more than I liked other parts, but I also loved some parts, so that was good. There are many attractive people in this show and I plan on enjoying their attractiveness throughout the show. In addition, the music was also something I liked about this show. And the animation was something I liked.

Also, things happened in this show. Some of them I liked, others I loved. If you like shows like this one, you will like this show.

Overall, Clannad After Story is a show that I liked as much as you did, if not more, or less.

The funny thing is, there were people in the forums who thought this was sincere, said it was a good review and were surprised I liked the show. Seriously. This is apparently what a bunch of people think is good criticism.

The problem with moe reviews is that unless you give it a glowing, positive review - and I've observed this over time - then the fans will feel personally offended and will come into the forums to complain. Happens every time. I've never seen a case where we reviewed a moe show positively and the fans came in to disagree for 10 pages - we could publish the most incompetently-written review that doesn't examine the show at all, but so long as the tone is positive and the scores are high enough, nobody will complain. That's why it's hard to take a lot of these criticisms - and they're always the same screeds about objectivity and professionalism and unfair biased critics - seriously. They seem disingenuous; the root of it all isn't some massive systemic problem with how we handle reviews, nor is it a case of the critic 'not knowing what he's doing' or being unprofessional biased etc etc, it's just that you like the show, and he didn't. That's what it boils down to.

There are countless places you could go to get a wealth of opinion on Nanoha; Carl's review is but one among surely thousands. I think he makes his points very well, and explains what he thought the problems with the show are.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Typically at most about once an episode for a 15 second period when she transforms. Their was one episode where they visited a hotspring on vacation that had a bit more fanservice but it was mostly aimed at the more adult supporting charachters.

Okay, thanks. That's pretty useful. I looked up the transformation sequence on youtube and didn't find it bad enough that I won't watch the series, so if that's really all there is I don't have a problem with it. (Although I do think it's disturbingly sexualized considering the main character's age, but if I nitpick about that, then I'd have to start whining about Pretear's transformation sequences, too, and I went ahead and bought that show, so it'd be hypocritical of me not to give Nanoha a try.)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:

Just to let you know, I don't look at whether a reviewer gives a "B" or a "C" for a title, as there's always the risk of inconsistency with the writing. I prefer to look at the writing, as that tends to be the most indicative of the reviewers opinion of the title due to the fact that there's more detail. It may have been positive overall, but I can't help but notice that they couldn't simply resist sneaking in a thorn or two with outlandish wording.

I mean, I could have easily worded that phrase and informed non-moe audiences in a bunch of ways without sounding like a biased jackass:

"Whether this show is right for you or not depends on whether you're into the moe genre..."

So basically the argument is that he could have been nicer about it? I wasn't aware that reviews had to take people's feelings into consideration.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Isn't the music a small detail to quibble on? "Music: C" basically tells me "the music is generic", why should he add a random sentence saying something that's actually said...at the end of the review? I don't see how one sentence would've made this a better review.

To me it's important because I like anime music. Now to you it may not matter but I think as a whole that is very valid criticism. Just because you don't care about it doesn't mean it isn't.

As far as adding random sentences, I think your "defense" is just as valid to answer yourself--why include a music score if he's not going to explain where he pull that letter out of? It's just as random to have "Music: C" when there's no mention of it anywhere. If you're going to stick to a predetermined metric for scoring, it only makes logical (and common!) sense to also explain it in the review proper. Most review sites do this anyways.

Quote:
He compares it unfavorably to those two shows. How is CCS and Tweeny Witches any less moe than Nanoha?

Tweeny Witches is not moe at all... But the point is in the story. And of course he's comparing it unfavorably, duh. I think the story is not really D-quality, but I'm just disagreeing with him. However he doesn't make a great case for a D grade if he compares it with A material. He should be comparing it with other D grade material or compare it to F or D- material favorably. Or at least give a reason why it isn't a F or a C. I mean I guess he tries but it seems a tad random.

Please realize that anything less than an A is going to be compared to unfavorably to CCS. And there's a huge gap between B and D.

Quote:
If you're talking about the whipping scene, I've said it's a good argument that you (general you) didn't find the scene fanservicey. I still haven't heard a good argument for why I should watch the show, though--just why I shouldn't listen to Carl. Which isn't making me want to watch the show, since...the review made me want to watch the show. So ignoring what the review tells me means I should ignore wanting to watch the show. O...kay...?

I don't care if you listen to him or not, I'm criticizing the review and not how it may or may not be helpful to you. I find the review itself more informative than average, actually, but do people walk away with the right impression of the show if they haven't seen it?

I mean you just said that one of the key scenes ranted on by the review may not be actually so bad. So...
Quote:

I don't have access to it and I can't count it scene by scene, but if my crappy memory serves, it's about one cut per episode where there's something clearly fanservice-y. That probably excludes the obligatory transformation sequence however.

Nanoha does walk a thin line at times. Some of the stuff may seem like fanservice to one person and it may not to another. It's not very blatant for the most part. YMMV.
Miitan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:
omoikane wrote:

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

But couldn't it have just as easily been left out? Even if it was the tiniest portion of the show, why was it included at all? Did people necessarily need to see it happen to get the point? Maybe that was the reasoning.

Because it was meant to unite the viewers in their detest of the person Precia had become? Would Precia sending Fate to bed without supper been a better way of doing this? Would this have been as effective? Perhaps not and maybe that's why we're contesting the legitimacy of his use of this one scene twice to try and cast the entire show as a lolicon's dream.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

The failure to include the answer to your question is on the reviewer IMO Smile

If it was gratuitous, he would've said so. Clearly it wasn't.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I think its more the way he expresses his review then the actual content.

Comparing it to Cardcaptors and then saying it has creepy loli scenes and calling Cardcaptors good makes no sense as Cardcaptors was filled with creepy loli situations.

Picking one random scene and deciding it meant the directors have a bondage fetish is also weird.

Knocking down the music with no justification at all.

Going on and on about how moe he thought it was, etc. About the only unbiased point he made was on the actual dialog with nanoha sounding more emotionally mature then her age would otherwise suggest.

This one line sums it up pretty well

Quote:
Had the series devoted a little more time to crafting likeable leads (as opposed to moe archetypes) and less time to sating appetites for gloppy, codified emotional darkness, or more time to Shinbo's oddball humor and less time to Tsuzuki's thinly-disguised S&M fantasies,
He manages to express his personal distaste for moe in general, accuse the staff of S&M fantasies from a 15 second clip, and insult Shinbo's humour as being bad when he didn't even mention anything relating to the humour in his review once. If their were actual justifications such as WHY the leads aren't likeable then i'd have no issues with the review.

The fact is even his basic descriptions of the main charachters are wrong. He states that
Quote:
Nanoha and Fate are given back-stories that paint them in shades of alienation and loneliness,
While this is partly true of Fate she does have a close friend who is always at her side.

Nanoha on the other hand has 2 close friends she is always with, her brother and sister, and her parents. Their was a brief time she was alone at her house but she was never alienated from everyone.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13