• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: MyNavi Poll: Characters Who Should Never Change Voice Actors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
Guess a lot of them must be really not liking the Fujiko change already, since that just happened. Anime smile;

While I can definitely agree on Nozawa as Goku, I'm always afraid that can't be far off either. Seems like there's always going to be something new to be done for that franchise, and she can't be around forever. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Guess a lot of them must be really not liking the Fujiko change already, since that just happened. Anime smile;

While I can definitely agree on Nozawa as Goku, I'm always afraid that can't be far off either. Seems like there's always going to be something new to be done for that franchise, and she can't be around forever. Crying or Very sad

Maybe at that point they can give Goku a voice that actually fits his character. I couldn't stand watching Kai subbed since Goku sounded like a 10 year old boy while he's a big muscle bound 30 year old. The hell?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Maybe at that point they can give Goku a voice that actually fits his character.

They have one that fits the character.

Nozawa's not getting any younger, but her Goku is to me, like many of these voters, irreplacable. Nobody brings more warmth and charm into the role than she does. In a lot of ways, she makes the character.

A lot of people seem to miss out on Nozawa's evolution in the role, too. Her adult Goku is different from her child Goku, it's an evolution of that voice that happens gradually.

In comparison, many of the English VAs for Goku roughly fit the body type, but always fall short in the characterization. They come off as kind of bland.

I'm surprised Lupin III didn't make it onto the list. Do people still miss Yamada, or is Kurita doing a good enough job? I think Kurita has improved dramatically since he started.

Fujiko did need replacing though. She was starting to sound way too old to play the vivacious Fujiko.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

They have one that fits the character.

Well said.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Figured Fujiko's replacement would cause a bit of a concern in the new series, but her original seiyuu is getting up there in years.

Same thing with Goku's seiyuu getting on in years. And as much as people like the Falkner score and Sean Schemmel, that isn't really what Dragonball is about. It's not the "xtreme" 90s macho fest the old Funi dub billed it as.. it's more akin to goofy adventure and action like One Piece. Imagine Luffy voiced by Sean Schemmel (They already have Chris Sabat as Zoro, Sonny Strait as Usopp, and Eric Vale as Sanji, heh) They basically tried to turn Goku into Superman or something in the dub (especially with that one speech he gives Freiza on how he's the universe's protector and ally to good) In the original he's just a huge man-child like Luffy who likes to fight.

Just like you grew up with the dub music and voice, Japan grew up with the original music and voice. You're not going to change people's opinions when it comes to nostalgia.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, Fujiko's Japanese voice WAS changed! Very Happy Michelle Ruff and Meredith McCoy will always be my Fujikos (especially Ruff), but I did like Eiko's voice a lot, at least in her heyday. The new chick seems to be doing decently too. Eiko was getting old. She couldn't play Fujiko forever. It's like when they brought back Heather North and Nicole Jaffe to voice Daphne and Velma in Scooby-Doo for a couple movies about 10 years ago. While the two voice actresses were great in their primes, they were starting to show their ages, it affected their characterization, and it was basically time for a change (though their current voices aren't much better, but's that's another topic for another day).

Nozawa is also getting up in her years (she's 75 I think, older than Eiko). While she looks great for her age, and is likely gonna to be around for a long time as a voice actress, I can't see her pulling off the energy needed to create Goku's demanding voice (which I'm sure is very difficult already) in her late 70s/80s. It wouldn't surprise me if they recast at least some of her parts. Hey, they recast a whole bunch of major characters before and during Kai in Japan (actually more so than the US), so I'm sure they'd have no problem recasting Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock, Turles, and Goku Jr. down the line. The question is, who would be Nozawa's replacement?

Quote:
Just like you grew up with the [American] music and voice, Japan grew up with the [Japanese] music and voice. You're not going to change people's opinions when it comes to nostalgia.

You do prove a good point. Usually people end up preferring what they see or hear first. I admit, when I watched DBZ years ago, the first two seasons had the Vancouver voice actors, and I still have a bit of a hard time getting used to watching those seasons with the FUNimation voice actors. However, I have warmed up to the Japanese musical score a bit (I still refuse to outright watch the Japanese version on a regular basis, though I have seen quite a bit of it over the years to get a good feel for the voices, etc).
I also have a hard time warming up to voice recasts in anime heavy with them like Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, etc. It took me a while to get used to Terri Hawkes and Linda Ballantyne as Sailor Moon after Tracey Moore left, and I don't think I ever got used to hearing Richard Ian Cox as Ranma after listening to Sarah Strange for 76 episodes (including OVAs) and two movies...

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised ANN didn't note this, but from looking at the article they linked to, there are some others beyond the top 5 that got mentioned by people as not wanting the voices changed:

Himura Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin

Souryuu Asuka Langley from Neon Genesis Evangelion

Tony Tony Chopper from One Piece

Vejeeta from Dragon Ball Kai

Nausicaa from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

One name that caught my attention was Shinnosuke from Crayon Shin-chan; I recently really considered watching this show, only to find out it's English dub-only in America. What a bummer. Guess I'll have to wait until I go to Japan to see that one. (besides, even if I could stand dubs, this one totally rewrites the original apparently, and it's drastically more crude, crass, and vulgar[/url]. I've also never had a good chance to see Chibi Maruko-chan, but I want to see some someday.

I will echo Kenshin. I love his voice and thought it really brought out the character. I remember I used to find it strange how different it was from the dub (when I was newer to anime and was ignorant to what the Japanese versions were like), but now I wouldn't want it different.

I'm most pleased to see Chopper mentioned, though. I'm a huge Chopper fan, and he's one of my all time favorite anime characters, and I can't imagine a better voice for him. When Ootani-san had to go on a maternity leave, Chopper's voice had a replacement for a little while, and with no disrespect intended to the fill-in acrtress, it was really unsatisfying and didn't not sound like Ootani-san, and I was just so eager for Ootani-san to come back.

Really, I think all the main cast for One Piece is invaluable. Can you imagine Luffy with another voice? Or Zoro? Or anyone else?

Finally, I must make mention of Pocket Monsters. I would be beside myself if Pikachu, Satoshi, or Takeshi (I know he's gone now but you never know) ever changed voices.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ahiru77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they ever saw the flames from US fans against Goku's japanese voice.

Thinking......."How dare they!!!!!" Laughing
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Huh, wheres Pikachu's VA? She's a legend and if they change her perfect Pika voice then the whole anime in general is going to be in danger, not just in Japan but every country that's airing it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
Finally, I must make mention of Pocket Monsters. I would be beside myself if Pikachu, Satoshi, or Takeshi (I know he's gone now but you never know) ever changed voices.

I think Satoshi is the only one in real danger since he's the only permanent character. For Persona 4 anime they just reused voice clips of Igor from the games since his seiyuu is dead. I imagine the hundreds of episodes of Ikue Otani saying "Pikachu" could be edited to work in the unfortunate event she's not able to voice Pikachu anymore. I do love how they give her certain words to use for each characters' names, though. It's a great touch, so yeah, I hope she's always around.

But otherwise, I agree. Rica Matsumodo is definitely Satoshi and I can't picture anyone else doing it. Especially since she also does a lot of work voicing (in-character) the opening and ending songs for the show as well. I especially loved her duet with Megumi Toyoguchi (Hikari) in "High Touch!"

Ironically, I think Rica Matsumodo did a much better Bakura when she replaced You Inoue (RIP). She can do an insanely creepy laugh.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Huh, wheres Pikachu's VA? She's a legend and if they change her perfect Pika voice then the whole anime in general is going to be in danger, not just in Japan but every country that's airing it.

Jeiokbu mentioned her above. The VA also voices Chopper Wink Indeed Legend.

Holy cow I read this article on NicoDouga either yesterday or day before o.o;

Nozawa makes me happy. That Goku is a legend. I recall back when I first watched original Dragonball. I thought it was peculiar to hear at first because U.S english Adult Goku sounded like a teen; but somehow, Nozawa's acting make Goku a character to enjoy. And that goofball laugh is great.

I haven't seen/heard the new Fujiko so I can't make a good opinion. I do find Eiko adorable sounding.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Nozawa in general is a greatly underplayed/underrated voice actress. I'm glad at least, the Japanese (and many other countries) are at least able to keep an open mind to the interpretation of Son Goku as a whole from his early years to adulthood. The massive onslaught in the US, from both sub and dub fans, regarding whether the aptitude of her voice acting as Goku is just overwhelming.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I imagine the hundreds of episodes of Ikue Otani saying "Pikachu" could be edited to work in the unfortunate event she's not able to voice Pikachu anymore. I do love how they give her certain words to use for each characters' names, though. It's a great touch, so yeah, I hope she's always around.

Well, she had to have left during her maternity leave that affected Chopper. I'm guessing during that time, they just recycled some sound clips of her voice. She is indeed a voice acting legend. She's probably the most iconic Japanese VA of all time considering she's without a doubt the most heard around the world since Pikachu's voice has always been kept the same internationally (except a few brief cases where Rachael Lillis filled in when they couldn't salvage Otani's voice). It's amazing how much emotion Mrs. Otani is able to convey just by saying one word.
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I would argue the following should never be changed I'm not even going to bother stating the entire english casts of Hellsing Ultimate, Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop should not be changed, because frankly those are the exceptions to where everyone sounds perfect. But in Specific Characters

1. Crispin Freeman as Alucard
2. Spike Spencer as Shinji Ikari
3. Colleen Clinkenbard as Monkey D. Luffy
4. Sean Schemmel as Goku
5. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Motoko Kusanagi
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Trying to use logic (or wishful thinking actually) since Tohro Furuya is Amuro Ray then by default Shuuchi Ikeda is Char. Meaning that they will return for the characters in the upcoming Gundam Origin anime.

I had some chats with Gundam fans during my last trip to Japan (August 2011) at events and so on. And i asked about the chance that Origin might get a Saint Seiya seiyuu re-cast treatment(Omega was not announced at that time). The answer was that it won't happen ! especially if Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (Creator and possibly the director) is involved. Well i personally don't want that to happen but i took those words as wishful thinking until i saw this picture which featured Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Tohru Furuya (Amuro Rei), and Toshio Furukawa (Kai Shidan) which was taken during a regular event on January 26th. Well at least Furuya seems to have a better relation with Yasuhiko than say with Masami Kurumada

http://www.topio.jp/top-1326.jpg

Oh and i surly wouldn't mind/highly prefer Tomino not having anything to do with it at all. And leave everything to Yasuhiko to handle.

About Fujiko, well Eiko Masuyama will always be Fujiko to me. But to be honest Miyuki Sawashiro did a great job as the character and to me she sounded like a younger Eiko Masuyama so it was not an issue for me.

And hey where is Akira Kamiya as Saeba Ryo ?? because Akira Kamiya is Saeba Ryo Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2