Interest Paprika Director Satoshi Kon Listed 100 Notable Films (Updated)
posted on 2010-09-15 23:57 EDT by Gia Manry
The late anime director Satoshi Kon posted a two-part list of 100 notable films, as chosen by the staff of Kon's Yumemiru Kikai (Yume Robo/The Dream Machine) film. The posts indicated that Kon himself was the primary judge of the list, with assistance from key animator Michiyo Suzuki, who worked on past Kon films such as Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika.
The posts also assured that the list was not intended to be a "best 100" list, but a list of films that stood out and prompted discussion among the staff. Included on the list, with dates and directors, are the following:
- It's a Wonderful Life (1946, Frank Capra)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962, David Lean)
- A Clockwork Orange (1971, Stanley Kubrick)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977, George Lucas)
- The Godfather (1972, Francis Ford Coppola)
- Gone with the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
- American Beauty (1999, Sam Mendes)
- Pulp Fiction (1994, Quentin Tarantino)
- Brazil (1985, Terry Gilliam)
- Batman Returns (1992, Tim Burton)
- Little Miss Sunshine (2006, Jonathan Dayton/Valerie Faris)
Kon directed his first feature film, Perfect Blue, in 1998 and completed four more before his passing at the age of 46 in August. Madhouse founder Masao Maruyama promised that his studio will complete Kon's final film, Yume-Miru Kikai.
Source: Makiko Itoh
Update: Batman Returns' year corrected. Thanks, doctordoom85.
Update 2: Pulp Fiction's year corrected. Thanks, Daniel Zelter.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history