• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Movic products

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alias

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
I found a store that sells really good anime merchandise, but hesitate to purchase because it might be bootlegged.

Are anime goods by a company called Movic authentic anime products? Sorry, for the newbie type question.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I did a Google search using the terms "movic" and "anime" and an ANN page was at the top of the list. This link should answer your question.

company#52

But if this store does acutally sell bootleg merchandise, I might reconsider purchasing any merchandise from them, boot or authentic.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote
After looking at the list one3rd provided, it looks like Movic is more of just a production group rather than an actual distribution company.

I don't know too much about those kinds of things, but I guess it could mean that since the official production group name is on the case, it could be legit. That, or the bootlegger is taking a really bold move to put their (Movic's) name on the box. Razz
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:33 am Reply with quote
Movic does indeed make all types of anime related products. What, if I may ask, specifically were you looking into buying?
Alias

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
For example the trigun maximum ring that bears a MOVIC logo, selling at 56 srp.

Thanks in advance.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
There's a good chance they're legit. Movic is kinda like Banpresto, Konami, or Yujin in that they produce a wide range of trinkets based on various anime properties. However, Movic specializes in high end collectors and cosplay items like jewlery and whatnot. They've also been known to team up with other companies to produce stuff like trading figures and minibusts (like their K&M team-up with Kaiyodo).

I've found two versions of the Trigun Ring, both have identical cardboard boxes, but different types of ring boxes. For $50 you get a traditional velvet type box which seems legit to me. For $20 you get a clear plastic ring box, seems a little cheap. It's possible that Movic made two versions, but I'm not so sure they'd do that. Bootlegs are rarely more expensive than the real thing so you'd probably be safe buying the $50 ring.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
However, Movic specializes in high end collectors and cosplay items like jewlery and whatnot.

That may be what they specialize in, but I've also seen lots of pins, shitajiki, various types of stationary items, posters, cups, cds, pretty much anything you can think of.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:08 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Emerje wrote:
However, Movic specializes in high end collectors and cosplay items like jewlery and whatnot.

That may be what they specialize in, but I've also seen lots of pins, shitajiki, various types of stationary items, posters, cups, cds, pretty much anything you can think of.

Err, yeah, that's kinda what I ment. They'll do the cheap stuff to no end, but unlike most other companies they'll also do some really nice high end stuff.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Err, yeah, that's kinda what I ment. They'll do the cheap stuff to no end, but unlike most other companies they'll also do some really nice high end stuff.

Emerje

Ahh, I see where I misread. I pretty much skimmed right over the "trinket" part of your post.
Abel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:52 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I don't know too much about those kinds of things, but I guess it could mean that since the official production group name is on the case, it could be legit. That, or the bootlegger is taking a really bold move to put their (Movic's) name on the box. Razz

This does happen on some items. The fact that the Movic logo is on it does not mean it's legit. Some bootleg items will have the correct copyright information and the logo but completely mess up the reference codes since they don't know what they mean.

Some series you have to know what they license, and what they do not. Final Fantasy was not something they did before and Ebay has had a bunch of "Movic" items. If you see a code like 04BA21 it's a bootleg.

The codes are generally easy. The back of the product or the label will have XXXXXX XXXXX-XX XXXX where X is the relavant number in the code. Let's use an Orphen clear file as an example.

000720 000240-01 0798EV.

0720 is the reference number for the series. 240 is the product reference number (a clear file). 01 is the number released of this item. In this case this is the first product of its time that was produced. If you see a "-03" that means that there were two other items of that product type released before. This helps a collector know that there are more out there if they wish to collect all the releases. Think of it as a volume number.

0798 is a reference to the date of release. It's not always the specific month and year the product was releases as sometimes it can be 1004 and you get items with 0704 released that month.

Not all of the products have letters. EV stands for event. G is for Gekijou (Movie). Some items will have letters like 1004A, 1004B. The letters are used to indicate that the goods are part of a set release. So if you see 1004B you know there is an A out there.

Like all Japanese anime goods there is a license seal as well. However not every item will have it. Trading Figures have copyright information but at times the license seals are on the case they came in. Sometimes they simply are not put on.

Movic goods now have UPC codes on them. Bootleg that are similar to their's do not.

Older products don't have the information that the newer ones do now.

As for the ring... is it this one?

That ring is legitimate.

Movic is a distributor and producer of anime goods They also have several subdivisions.

Animate Film does anime production.

Movic Books publishes manga and art books.

Movic Promote Services produces events.

Marine Entertainment produces media.

One of their subgroups is Animetopia.

They also help produce other character goods for companies like Kodansha and Kadokawa however those items do not bear their name. It's cheaper to use them to produce the items due to their volume.
Alias

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:52 am Reply with quote
gosh, didn't know distinguishing between real Movic merchandise and fake ones can be such a numeric headache.

thanks, for all the replies and help, I will be getting the Trigun ring as a present, worried free of being a boot and embarrassed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1