• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koshi Rikudo

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote
person#3112

Why is the primary entry for his name Koshi Rikdo rather than Koushi Rikudo? Rikdo shouldn't even be possible unless I missed something.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quote
It would seem that Rikdo is actually the more popular form. If you do a Google search for the pair "Koshi Rikudo" you get 804 returns. If you do it for "Koshi Rikdo" you get 2,500 returns.

Likewise, Rikudo alone returns 830 while Rikdo returns 5,380.

I'd say Rikdo is the proper form.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It would seem that Rikdo is actually the more popular form. If you do a Google search for the pair "Koshi Rikudo" you get 804 returns. If you do it for "Koshi Rikdo" you get 2,500 returns.

Likewise, Rikudo alone returns 830 while Rikdo returns 5,380.

Google is not the arbiter of correctness. Base your opinion on something serious and reliable - do you have a website with an "official" romaji version of the name to refer to?

Those Google statistics are more likely to mean that there are more fanboys who can't spell Japanese names than there are fans who can spell correctly. Occam's razor suggests that this is the probable explanation.

Emerje wrote:

I'd say Rikdo is the proper form.

I'd say "Rikdo" is painful to look at.

Illustrating the reliability of Google as a spelling guide:

• "alot" - over 94 million hits
  • "a lot" - less than 31 million hits

- abunai

Last edited by abunai on Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
do you have a website with an "official" romaji version of the name to refer to?

I have. Wink

According to his official homepage, his romaji name is spelled as Koushi RIKUDOU, in wapuro (modified Hepburn using "ou" instead of "ō" or "ô"). I'd say we shall stick with it. Strangely enough, most English (translated) manga and English websites credit him as "Koshi Rikudo."

Now it's partially fixed, but I can't remove the redundant Also Known As.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Illustrating the reliability of Google as a spelling guide:

• "alot" - over 94 million hits
  • "a lot" - less than 31 million hits

- abunai

Say no more. Point taken. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Wink

I was thinking it was an example of someone trying to be creative or unique with their own name. Oh well, god knows my own screen name has backfired on me countless times.

Emerje
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Oh well, god knows my own screen name has backfired on me countless times.

Emerje

Pronounced: "Em-AIR-yuh", right? Wink

- abunai
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Heh, nope, way off. It's actually much simpler than that. I only made a one-for-one letter swap with an existing word, though coming to that was far more complex.

Emerje
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Heh, nope, way off. It's actually much simpler than that. I only made a one-for-one letter swap with an existing word, though coming to that was far more complex.

Emerje

Note to self: Don't use irony on the internet.

I was pulling your leg, Emerje (em-URGE).

- abunai
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:03 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Note to self: Don't use irony on the internet.

Irony on the internet? Does such a thing even exist? Razz

Quote:
(em-URGE)

Oh, so you're one of those people (was this your true and honest shot?). Wink It's a strong "E" but you've got the right idea. I've heard everything from "em-er-jé" (assuming it's french I suppose) to "e-mer-gee". I can usually tell how a person pronounces the name by how they shorten it or misspell it. If they call me "Em" I know they're off, if they spell it "Emerjy" they're probably saying it wrong, if they just say "E" it could be anything, and if it's "Emerge" then I know they're atleast saying it right. But if it's not confusing enough I used to spell it "Y'merje" (can you guess my real name? Anime smile ), that got old quick.

Heh, there used to be a member here at ANN with the name "Ghoti", now there's a word designed to confuse, good for triva at least.

Emerje
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:18 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
abunai wrote:
(em-URGE)

Oh, so you're one of those people (was this your true and honest shot?). Wink

No, but just be glad I don't go all Danish-pronunciation on you... Wink

Emerje wrote:
Heh, there used to be a member here at ANN with the name "Ghoti", now there's a word designed to confuse, good for triva at least.

That deserves a cryptic answer:

Quote:
"Oh fishy, fishy, fishy fish."
"That went wherever I did go."

- abunai
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:26 am Reply with quote
Abunai, you're an old soul. No one should know as much as you in one life time. No offense, but I bet you've got a large forehead as well. Wink

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1