• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Date of birth limitation

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Hector Malot, the author of Sans Famille (later adapted into "家なき子") was born on May 20, 1830. However the system does not allow date before 1900. Can it be solved?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Same thing for Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain), Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll), and probably others. Cervantes? Victor Hugo? Dumas?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Basically all works adapted from classics like World Masterpiece Theater and Sekai Meisaku Douwa (World Children's Classics) series have their original creators born in 19th century.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, in this case maybe the problem is that such people shouldn't be entered as staff. There's a reason you can't input a date lower than 1900: the first anime listed in the Encyclopedia is Fushigina Daiko (movie) made in 1957... so it's pretty unlikely that someone born before 1900 ever worked on the production of an anime. It's rather misleading to enter Hector Malot as a staff member of "Sans Famille", no? I need to add a "Based on" information for these cases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot, Dan. In the mean time I'll enter those info in Trivia; let us know when you've finished adding this feature and I'll be more than happy to add additional information about original creators of those classics.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't know that I agree with this - as I see it, "staff" is anyone who contributed to the anime without being "cast". After all, we presently list a mangaka who created the manga on which an anime is based, as "staff" - even though that mangaka may have had nothing whatsoever to do with the production.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, abunai, you were faster and beated me in this point of view. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

After I posted my last paragraph, examples like Astro Boy [2003] came into my mind. For most manga-adapted anime, the production team would have consulted the manga-ka during production stage (at very least they have to discuss copyright issues). However, those remakes (e.g. Astro Boy [2003]) were produced after the original creator passed away. Yet not listing Osamu Tezuka as the original creator is simply not right (like all Star Trek TV or movies has "Based on the Star Trek universe created by Gene Roddenberry" in credits).

EDIT: Just found the (likely) oldest Original Creator: Murasaki Shikibu (紫式部, 973(?)-1016(?)), who wrote the great novel Genji Monogatari (源氏物語), adapted into manga (#3891) and anime (#3270 and #1047).

Last edited by dormcat on Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Just found the (likely) oldest Original Creator: Murasaki Shikibu (紫式部, 973(?)-1016(?)), who wrote the great novel Genji Monogatari (源氏物語), adapted into manga (#3891) and anime (#3270 and #1047). It's really, eh, questionable to put her as a staff member.

I disagree - one of the reasons that you enter all data, or as much as possible, is that it allows for later cross-indexing. Let's say that you later want to create a list of all the anime to which her classic has contributed - for serious research purposes. That's going to be difficult, if you've decided beforehand that she's irrelevant.

This is one reason why knowledge bases should be inclusive rather than exclusive, when it comes to adding data.

Meanwhile, I've come across a German voice actor (Erik JELDE, two credits for anime dubbing into German), born in 1894...

- abunai
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah, you resurrected this old thread after seeing quincyarcher's question, right? Wink

abunai wrote:
I disagree - one of the reasons that you enter all data, or as much as possible, is that it allows for later cross-indexing. Let's say that you later want to create a list of all the anime to which her classic has contributed - for serious research purposes. That's going to be difficult, if you've decided beforehand that she's irrelevant.

I'm persuaded and I take back my comment. What I'm curious about is how many users other than us regard ANN as a source of serious research material in addition to its entertainment value?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Ah, you resurrected this old thread after seeing quincyarcher's question, right? Wink

You see right through me.

dormcat wrote:
I'm persuaded and I take back my comment. What I'm curious about is how many users other than us regard ANN as a source of serious research material in addition to its entertainment value?

Judging by the lack of quality control and self-restraint exercised by some of the people entering data, not many. Honestly, some of the ordure I see in the database.... Rolling Eyes

But, to me (and you), any database is potentially a research tool, if the data in it is entered with competent and serious respect for its value as a source of information. Or, failing that, if hardworking and dedicated staffers spend five times as much effort cleaning up the mess as it took to make it in the first place.

-abunai
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
It depends on how the database it set up - if this site is running MySQL (which IIRC phpBB does) then unless you are using four digit years you are going to have problems with values returned by the database - more detail about that can be found in the MySQL Date & Time Types manual

However, it is just returning an error message because the year is less than 1900 and the system is using four digit years then the system administrators should be able to just get into the script and update the error checking to accommodate years less than 1900.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
I have no knowledge on MySQL programming, but at the buttom of Release page, it's obvious that the database uses 2012-12-12 as "NULL" date. Does this provide any info to you, radicaledward?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I have no knowledge on MySQL programming, but at the buttom of Release page, it's obvious that the database uses 2012-12-12 as "NULL" date. Does this provide any info to you, radicaledward?

Bad assumption. I just put that in myself.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop My bad.

So, technically speaking, is it possible to lift the date restriction or not? If it's technically feasible, should we (IMHO we should)?
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Also I should point out that MySQL allows you to use 0000-00-00 or NULL in the date field to indicate empty dates. Most of the time if there is an odd date on the page for a release date then it means that it is coming out, but nobody knows when. Amazon.com does this alot for many of their pre-order items and it is not uncommon to see dates ten to twenty years in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1