• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood-C (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, poor old Saya has to fight a pretty grody range of monsters. All Blood+'s Saya had to worry about (mostly) were yer run-o'-the-mill Chiropterans. This Saya has had to deal withspoiler[ a floating water statue (?), Triffid-like plant things, a fleshy streetcar-shaped monster and now some apeshit bird dudes]. Poor kid!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The only interesting question that popped into my mind was who cleans up all that crap. Other than that it was the same old formula of cutesy slice of live and Spore's creature creator monster of the week.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Episode 4 is FINALLY starting to pick up the pace with the obvious fact the small town is not what it seems. Also I found this scene to be rather intriguing:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/bloodc2020042020large20.jpg/
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I'd say Episode 4 is FINALLY starting to pick up the pace with the obvious fact the small town is not what it seems. Also I found this scene to be rather intriguing:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/bloodc2020042020large20.jpg/

Yea I like some of the references like spoiler[the quick image of the interior of the subway car which echos the beginning of the original Blood movie.] Its getting a bit more interesting, but at the pace their moving it feels like they want to turn it into another Blood+ in terms of length and monotony. I guess I'll continue to hang on for a bit more.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Apparently ANN has a page called Blood-C the movie. Maybe the movie will address whatever is leftover by the time the series ends or it could be a 2 hour long sing-a-long with Saya.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

"Dammit, I can't beat that monster. It's like she's got eyes on the back of her...... eye."

Nice of them to switch things up. Monster hunting first, then happy-fun-school time. Except it's not so happy-fun this time. Suspense!

Challenge Mode: spoiler[Can the creative team kill off Nene? It's a perfect opportunity to show that they can give more characteristics to the twins other than the fact that they're twins. Nono starts leaving the front of her hair unbraided, now that she doesn't have to distinguish herself from her sister, but soon discovers that no one pays more than half attention to her.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm a patient guy but the repetition is finally getting pretty annoying to me.

Every episode, Saya gets her butt kicked until her eyes turn red and then she beats the monsters.

spoiler[three straight episodes of hinting at the covenant business, happily the teacher starts to finally explain something and Saya passes out before we hear anything important and they dodge the issue yet again!]

So, while it seemed like last episode was picking things up, it instead just set-up a new slight variation of the pattern to repeat a couple more times Story-wise it was a worthless episode. They do the same thing as last episode but with a slight escalation. The monster of the weak (I just noticed that's a typo-but I'm leaving it) says the same sort of thing, but with a better vocabulary (quite an achievement when you consider it didn't have a mouth), the pretty boys worry over her more intensely, the "dog" make an even more enigmatic appearance, the person in peril spoiler[is first a girl her own age and then a close friend.]

I'm starting to wonder if the entire 12 episode series is simply a prequel to the story they actually want to tell in the movie they are apparently making.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I certainly sympathize with anyone who is getting frustrated/irritated with the repetitive nature of the show and the incremental plotting even though those elements are (currently) not bothering me. It puzzles me that I'm not bothered by that yet, because those tend to be things that do bother me. I guess I'm being placated by enjoying the visual look so much, as well as liking the characters. Plus, I'm sure there is a part of my brain that expects things will eventually kick into a higher gear. The Encyclopedia is still indicating this is a one cours show, but these things sometimes take a while to be revealed, so I wonder if this will actually be two cours when all is said and done. The slow plotting seems to indicate that it might be.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The Encyclopedia is still indicating this is a one cours show, but these things sometimes take a while to be revealed, so I wonder if this will actually be two cours when all is said and done. The slow plotting seems to indicate that it might be.

Alternatively, there may just not be much plot to advance through. Ga-Rei Zero zooms to mind as a show that wrapped up in 12 episodes without feeling particularly rushed, and it didn't advance much brisker than this show (though it certainly had more variety is what it was doing when not advancing the plot). There just wasn't much plot (quantity-wise).
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
In episode 5, poking someone in the eye was taken to a whole new level.

I assume Saya can't just switch on her red eyes to avoid getting her ribs broken, and all that pain she needs to suffer for the most of the fight?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
She probably can, but she's such a thoughtful girl, so courteous of the needs of others, that she tolerates all that pain to help out the writers, who'd have a tough time making things dramatic and tragic if she just made ocular puree from the get-go.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I've always assumed that Saya had to hit a certain level of rage before she could go all Red Eye'd, so that, yeah, it's unfortunately not something she can tap into at will, the little Covenant-breaking minx.
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay, finally saw this, I tried before but for some reason the video would never load, then I tried a different browser and BAM, it works.

So I saw episode 1, I don't see why some people are poo-pooing this show. Confused I thought it was pretty good. This new Saya is very different from previous saya's, the town she's in is eerie, and the fight in the end was well made. That mantis statue monster was really awesome{but I wonder what is it? It's not a chiropteran, is it man-made?}

Anyways, did anybody pay attention to the beggining, when: spoiler[they were showing a bonefied chiropteran jumping towards the screen and also showing some weird blood things. While thats happening, the narrator is talking about if a person can be turned good or something with the right upbringing, or if, no matter what, they'll turn into a monster eventually if its in their lineage? I think that's what it was saying. Basically if good upbringing can override a violent pedigree.

So I think this is refferring to Saya, did you notice things like the town's only inhabitants are the people at the school and the two outside. Or how the teacher mysteriously looks like a scientist? Or how when they did roll call, she said only Saya, but then afterwards was just kidding?{While causing Saya to have flashbacks}.

Could it be the entire town is artificial and outside in the real world, their is a war going on against chiropterans led my multiple "Sayas" on different fronts?{That's what I got from the multiple red things inside that water tube.} And basically the Saya they have is one they captured while she was young, so they made a plan to raise her as a kind "human",{which is why she is so bubbly}. While the other "Sayas" in the outside world are cruel and vicious. The "Elders" Saya fights at night are really fights her father and the "towns people" set-up with some kind of man-made weapon, in order to prepare her for the real fight against her "sisters" and the chiropterans armies. I imagine in the real world, half the world is gone, most cities have been taken by chiropterans, and the human forces are doing all they can to stem the tide. I'm guessing this Saya that they have in the artificial town is their secret weapon which will be unleashed when she is ready.

Then the real fight begins and she'll have to go up against chiropterans and ocassional, one of her "Sisters" which I'm guessing equal the number of red bubble things inside that water tube. If theres that many "bad" sayas, they probably have like their own city or something. Saya will probably be taken by a group of humans to assault each respective city and slay it's "Saya". By doing so, the chiropterans of that region become mindless, directionless, "de-activated", harmless monsters. Then eventually their going to get the last sister, who will probably be the strongest, or when theirs only a few left, they will probably get together and fight back in some kind of ultimate showdown. I haven't even thought of if their still using "chivaliers" in this show, because if they are, then that makes things even tougher for Saya, since each sister will probably have an elite force of 3 to 5 chevaliers per region.]

Okay, since NicoNico doesn't let you see episodes, 2-4 unless your a plus member, I went to see 5 before it expired. Shocked spoiler[It looks like the elder bairns aren't man-made, but seeing as the eyeball girl was talking about a covenant, maybe that covenant deals with that the humans get protection from the Elder bairns against the chiropterans? So basically, the elder bairns are also being used to train Saya to be ready to fight chiropterans who will probably way stronger and fiercer.]

I don't see anything wrong with this show, it seems to be good. Shocked Some things though: spoiler[I heard that Saya let an innocent guy get mauled by an Elder in order to attack it? Maybe that's her chiropteran blood in her that made her act that way? Maybe part of the reason they are raising her in a simulated town is to give her discipline, empathy, and other qualities that her sisters in the outside world lack. They are trying to make a chiropteran queen that will be on their side so that when she's unleashed, she won't side with her sisters or turn against her people after seeing things from the human's side? Basically, she is going to be their most powerful weapons against the chiropterans. I'm guessing the Elder Bairns, who seem to be of the same paranormal nature as chiropterans, made an uneasy alliance with the humans since the Chiropterans are also destroying their lands too. Anyways, if the humans hadn't done this, Saya would have probably grown up to be another near unstoppable chiropteran queen who feasts on humans mercilessly. Now that the humans have Saya on their side, they will eventually be able to explain the situation in the outside world and what her real mission is. Perhaps being a miko was also to train her to be obedient and take orders easily. Did you see how she gripped the blade tightly in the first episode?! Must have been her wild chiropteran blood that still lingers with an appetite for blood and destruction?]

Anyways, that's what I think from what I've been able to watch of the show.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, PrimalX3, you may have inadvertently watched it the best way possible, by skipping 2-4 you missed all the damn repetition and from your comprehension you didn't miss anything.

Well, you missed the monsters get progressively bigger (and they started mentioning the covenant at ep.3), Saya got a bit more distressed (but not much), you saw the dog a bit more and you saw happy time with Saya and her friends and the moody black-haired too-cool-for-school kid that Saya apparently likes.
Oh and she sings more and eats cake and drinks coffee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Oh and she sings more and eats cake and drinks coffee.

Am I the only one who is getting the vibe that the “cake” and “coffee” she receives from the café contain either blood or a drug that is preventing her from tweaking out?

Also, since this show has shown us that it isn’t afraid to kill people, anybody want to start a death pool to predict which major character you think will be killed off first? (As for a prize, the winner(s) can make everyone who participated change their avatar to something stupid for a week.)

You can pick any reoccurring character, even if someone else has picked them, but once you pick that character you cannot change your prediction.

I’ll start: Saya’s "Father"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12