• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[todo] Splitting encyclopedia entries for MAJOR per season

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littletykes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I was checking out the entry for Major, and it seems a bit difficult to navigate through the information and cast since six seasons are combined in one entry.
Is it possible to split the entry for Major per season?

The reason being that the importance of characters change through the seasons, with only goro being the main character the entire time.

The trend is: goro is always the main character, while the supporting cast per season has always (mostly) changed. some go from secondary to minor and vice versa as the seasons change.
VA's also changed, specifically in season 1 to 2.

this is why the encyclopedia entry for Major is confusing when all the seasons are consolidated into 1 long running show.
While the show's format may indeed be continuous (like one piece), it may be beneficial for encyclopedia users to browse through it as if it were seasonal (like maria watches over us).

(sorry in advance for a long and repetitive explanation)
I used spoiler tags, in case someone doesn't want to see a season by season summary as i explain.

spoiler[
season 1 has kindergarten to little league arc, so the secondary characters should include at least the prominent members of his little league team. (others could be his dad, momoko-sensei etc)
goro is also named "goro honda" for the first season, and only becomes goro shigeno later on.

season 2 is the Junior High/kaidou tryouts arc.
We can now list goro as "goro shigeno" and with the right voice actor, as well as other characters (such as komori being voiced by rie kugimiya in s1 and by kouki miyata in s2)
Right now, the encyclopedia lists Yamane as a secondary character in the series, despite being a secondary character only in season 2. By season 3/4/5/6, guys like Yamane are tertiary characters. sometimes they don't even appear at all in the season. guys like toshi can be considered a main character, and goro's kaidou teammates (the tryouts/dream island/2nd stringer guys) can be considered secondary.

season 3 is the High School arc. His seishuu high teammates should be secondary now, with guys like Komori, who has been a secondary character the past 2 seasons, becomes relegated to minor. there are many more characters that this applies to.

season 4 is the minor league arc. most of the guys were left in japan and don't really make significant appearances in this arc. So the secondary characters are his teammates from the Memphis Bats, or even Kaoru.

by season 5 (world championships), many characters return, guys like mayumura and other members of the national team can be included as secondary characters. kaoru can be a secondary character here as well, and toshi can be a main (maybe). goro's old teammates are minor characters as they appear in several episodes.
]

Well, you can probably see a trend even if i don't explain season 6. By segregating into seasons, the character/cast entries can be cleaned up and become easier to understand. Of course, segregating the characters into main/secondary/minor per season will require quite some effort.
If splitting the entry would be possible, I would be willing to help the encyclopedia editors in any way I can, especially in categorizing the characters.
littletykes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
wow didn't realize this was marked as "to do". i'll post my suggestions in this thread when I'm done with it.Smile
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the Encyclopedia is really ill-suited to splitting series like that.

But I'll take this opportunity to remind Encyclopedia contributors and editors and that long series should preferably be split per season at the outset. So for example, instead of adding more staff, cast & info to the already humongous One Piece, submit the new season as a separate anime.

Long series should be split per season in logical staff/cast groups. For example when a new story arc begins, often the entire secondary cast will change, so that's a good point to start off a new series. But if the same story arc continues with the same staff & cast, it doesn't make much sense to duplicate all existing info in a new series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, the encyclopedia only considers a new season as a separate anime if the episode count resets, isn't it? For all seasons the title "メジャー" remains the same and the episodes don't have numbers.

Dan42 wrote:
Unfortunately, the Encyclopedia is really ill-suited to splitting series like that.

It's better to leave this sort of data like story arcs to wikipedia and the wikis of the anime itself.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
Pity there's no real connecting between the staff/cast and episode lists. Ono of those hindsight things, since the precision field was not originally intended for episode numbers.

Ideally I guess, there would be two modes of entry for staff/cast: by episode (for adding data from credits) or by person (for completed series with defined episode count where you would tick the applicable episode numbers). Splitting an entry (or even allowing "view all" and "view season x" modes for a long series) would then be fairly simple and you could filter the staff/cast lists by episode number etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
So for example, instead of adding more staff, cast & info to the already humongous One Piece, submit the new season as a separate anime.

I really don't think it makes sense to try to split something like One Piece by season. As far as I know, there hasn't been any significant breaks in production, the show's name hasn't been changed to designate a new season, and the episode count hasn't restarted, so it would be unclear where one season ends and the next one begins. Checking how Wikipedia currently divides it up, the current "season" contains the last part of the storyline where Luffy was trying to rescue Ace, the flashback storyline showing Luffy and Ace as kids, and now the first part after the time-skip. What makes that a season is totally unclear to me. I just don't think we could accurately pick when one season stops and another starts when there isn't any clear indication in terms of changes in production, changing the title, or restarting the episode count. If we tried to divide something up just based on the plot, I think ANN will just end up disagreeing with the rest of the Internet, plus it would be unclear where to put episodes that connect one story line to the next.

Unlike One Piece, my impression is that for Major the seasons are designated in the title (e.g. "Major (season 2)"), and there are gaps in production of several months between the seasons, so I think it would be reasonable to split them.

Also, if you are going to be spiltting entries, I just want to point out that doc-watson42 has had some of these requests pending for over 5 years now (here and here). I've been really wanting Super Deformed Double Feature to get a split (in addition to doc-watson42's post, I've submitted a couple entries from it to the submission queue (here and here)).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess One Piece was not the best example, it's just that there's sooo much data on that page that I really want to split it up somehow. Even though Major lends itself more to splitting since it has clearly demarcated seasons, there's not really enough data on the page to truly "feel the pain" so to speak. But even so, just like Voltron, I'm not opposed to splitting the series; but it requires careful planning so that we don't wind up leaving the Major seasons in a half-split state which would be even worse that what we have now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1