• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nisemonogatari (with index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Nadeko was trying seduce him, she has had a crush on him. A battle between trying to do what he should with someone who considers him like a brother, amd Nadeko trying to make him think of her as something more. Instead they talk about his sisters which is the origin of their relation ship, this arc is also about one of his sisters. More specificly it is about Karen, who we then see and have first actual conversation with her in it. We get a pretty good look at the type of character she is, as with the others there will likely be a trait she has that will make her affected by this "bee".

Finally we ha Suruga, well there was probably not a lot of plot there, we had her change of hair, and just having Koyomi doing some things on a day he does not have much on. He asked Nadeko if she had any incidents with the supernatural recently, perhaps there is a reason he decided to check in on another person who has come into contact with the supernatural.

Plot happened.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
The difference is that while Bakemonogatari had 5 arcs, Nisemonogatari will only have 2. So while Bake's arcs were broken down like...

Bake

Hitagi - 2
Mayoi - 3
Suraga - 2
Nadeko - 3
Tsubasa - 5

Nise otoh will more than likely be 6 and 5 (don't know who gets what) for Karen and Tsukihi. Of course there's multiple plotlines running through each arc (The Hitagi "kidnapping" along with Karen for this part for instance) but it has more time to setup than all the arcs in the first season except for the last.

Bake was 5 stories spread across 2 novels (3 in the first and 2 in the last), every other LN in the series only has 1 main story for it. The pacing for every other story is going to be different to the first 4 arcs of Bakemonogatari... and I really don't mind if it takes its time, a lot of the verbal sparring is good and it gives focus for some time on characters who you wouldn't see for a long time if they just cut to the chase every single time.

Also by most accounts the payoff for this Karen story is pretty damn good.
killmyself

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
I don't see how that was a fanservice episode the Nadeko part was plot development and the Suruga part was mostly done for comedic purposes. I wasn't ever turned on by the episode just entertained.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I understand the frustration of someone who wants an actual story to kick in. I sort of feel it myself, except that I'm so in love with the -monogatari Universe that I can be borne along simply on its own style, off-beat humour and visual pizz-azz. I get that won't work for everyone. But yes, it would be nice if something got underway in eppie 3. There is only one more girl to re-introduce and then hopefully we'll be away to the races.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Let's not race to the finish and give the show more then 2 episodes to deliver their catchphrase 'kay? I myself am fully indulging in this world of fanservice, witty (but meaningless) banter, and unique art style.

I mean honestly, if the plot didn't advance the creators know the audience would lose interest. Rinse and repeating the same kind of entertainment can only hold out for so long (except for the big 3 for some reason) before an audience gets bored and moves onto the next thing. I have no doubt it won't be long before we're taken on some kind of plot roller coaster-but it won't be as fast as Bakemono because they're not trying to cram as badly.

Maybe you're judging the story pace based off Bakemono when in reality that's a mistake?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
You say 2 episodes as if it isn't a lot.

That's almost 20% of the entire content we'll get for Nise.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, if two episodes is your standard length of anime before you close the book on a series that's your choice, but I believe in most cases that's usually premature.

Any series I'm on the fence about (not the case here obviously) I usually give at least 3 but typically 4 episodes before I call it quits. Again, it's just a matter of preference though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying I'm calling it quits.

I know from the Suruga Monkey arc that NisiOisin can actually write decent stories. So I'm just watching and hoping, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the banter between Araragi and his harem. I'll be finishing Nise, no doubt. I finished Bake after all, despite feeling really underwhelmed by both Snake and Cat arcs.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I was stood at the bus stop thinking about how best to convey my opinion of Nisemonogatari. Now that I've had my night out and am currently absolutely wasted, I think I can offer my (inevitablty skewed) opinion with little fear of reprisal. I'm drunk, so I don't care, right?

Comparisons with Bakemonogatari are, sadly, inevitable. I always judge anime by how they perform as a standalone, measuring them against their predecessors seems overly critical to me (see: Last Exile 2). Sometimes they have different teams working on them to make a good job of an already exceptional franchise (see again: Last Exile 2) and it's hard to convert new fans. As I understand it (and comprehension is so, so difficult for me right now) the story of Nisemonogatari is pretty much down to the same dude who did Bakemonogatari; With this in mind, I feel a direct comparison is warranted.

Soshite! With this in mind (urgh, drunken dirkusbirkus is weeaboo dirkusbirkus, I try to avoid japanese terms as much as possible) here be my critique thus far. Directly comparing the two series.

Gorgeous animation: Bake? Check. Nise? Check. Despite all grumbles up til now, Nise is animated just as beautifully as Bake. There are still unconventional shots, still blatant SHAFT direction here. Nise is on a par with Bake, based on what we've seen already. There is no drop in terms of animation quality.

Clever wordplay: Bake? Check. Nise? Check. Nise is still heavily dialogue driven, and it works just fine. People expecting more action or supernatural sequences are, in my honest opinion, being unreasonable with a direct sequel. Every single damned episode is still just as smart as Bake was. Dialogue being the driving force of said anime is still obvious here. If you want more action, you really need to rethink why you loved Bake so much. This show is all about the dialogue and interaction between characters. If you missed that in Bake, you've missed the point entirely.

Timely progression in terms of story? Bake? Check. Nise? Not so much. This is honestly the only thing I can pull Nise up on without being more clear-headed. Yeah, not an awful lot has happened in the first two episodes with regards to what's actually going on. But as someone has already pointed out, we're covering two arcs in the same time it took to cover five arcs in Bake. A certain degree of padding it to be expected, and let's be honest here, has the quality of the show dropped as a result? Not in my opinion, no. There's definitely more service this time round (Hell, Kanbaruspoiler[ spends half an episode naked]) I don't feel cheated in any way, or that it detracts from the story at all. There is STILL progression, and significant progression at that. From what we'be been given so far, we can reasonably establish that Koyomis sisters are getting involved in something more supernatural than they're used to, and Araragi himself has also fallen foul of the same hijinks, indicated by the fact Senjougahara feels the need to protect him from... Whatever. Christ guys, if you're expecting more from two episodes, I think you have this series on too high a horse. I'd concur with people who say Bake is a masterpiece, but I'm also more realistic with regards to what I expect Nise to be.

In an ideal world, people would judge this series as a standalone, and be mightily impressed by what they've seen so far. But this isn't an ideal world, and I'm drunk to the point it took me half an hour to make this post. Take solace in that much, at least! Embarassed
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
You say 2 episodes as if it isn't a lot.

That's almost 20% of the entire content we'll get for Nise.

Nisio's or should I say Koyomi's Grand Harem tour takes up the first 150 pages of Nise 1... and considering both books combined take up about 660 pages...

At the time it was made Nise was suppose to be the end of the series. Not saying he left no loose ends or anything.. quite the opposite actually.. the foreshadowing in the Nadeko section is quite brilliant if you know what happens in the latest novel released 4 weeks ago... I've only read a short summary of things, considering what I know in Nise, (which isn't much more..) it's certainly a bit wtf when you compare it to Nise's events.

But this was suppose to finish the series, so he gave a "tour" of the characters from the Bake... so if he just cut to the chase you wouldn't have seen these characters again... Nise is regarded as the weakest of the entire franchise though... people on AS where saying it was Nisio not giving a fudge and have coined in Araragi's Victory Lap.

Not to say nothing of worth doesn't happen in this... but don't expect it to beat out Bakemonogatari or even approach the crown jewel of the series in Kizumonogatari.

The later stuff (especicailly the last 5) are suppose to be really good... and if people have a problem with "This is Karen's arc and she hasn't appeared much!" well... L O L

To quote Andrew's review of one of the later novels... and removing the characters name..

<removed>
So, <removed> on the cover.
Um.
One would expect she might be in it, right?
NOPE.
I was honestly wondering if they'd swapped manuscripts with <removed> somehow. After all, 99% of this book is Araragi and <removed> [expletive] around with <removed>.

He does like it in the end though lol.

It was about this point that I realized I have absolutely no [expletive] clue where the book was going, and began to enjoy it quite a bit. He pulls a genuinely great ending out of his ass, too. I won't say the first half wasn't meandering and <removed>, but if he could just focus a little, I'm pretty sure Nisio could still write some genuinely great books.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Anyone else surprised only Carlos Santos gave a preview on this? I didn't get a chance to thumb through all the forum responses there but I'm used to Carl and Theoron watching everything :\.

Anyway I am highly enjoying it. I do get what people are saying about 2 episodes being gone and we do not really have much of a plot... but I am also so immersed in the world I do not really mind. Is it possible that maybe Nisemonogatari is just 1 arc (fire sisters) that is spanned around 11 episodes?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Anyone else surprised only Carlos Santos gave a preview on this? I didn't get a chance to thumb through all the forum responses there but I'm used to Carl and Theoron watching everything :\.

Anyway I am highly enjoying it. I do get what people are saying about 2 episodes being gone and we do not really have much of a plot... but I am also so immersed in the world I do not really mind. Is it possible that maybe Nisemonogatari is just 1 arc (fire sisters) that is spanned around 11 episodes?

other than Theoron, other ANN reviewers will probably give it a 1/5 anyway.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Hitagi seemed to be in a bad mood for some reason, little did she know she was pretty spot on with what happened with Suruga. Not to mention his conversation had some echoes with Hitagi. Like how she sudenly took on Mayoi's joke.

So the news seems to be this Kaiki guy, spoiler[he seems to have connections to Suruga, Hitagi, and possivly hearing Arragi's name recently, I would guess he has something to do with Karen. Nadeko mentioned somethng about Karen trying to find the source of the snake curse, she apparently got a leade. Not baseing it on much, but the fact he knew Suruga by her mother's surname (her mother gave the "monkey's paw"), the fact Hitagi is so protective, and possible conection to snake curse, could it be he creates problems so he get money.] But could Tsukasa also be involved?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Updated the index.

I'm going to be very slow with all my Anime watching this season, as in the past week I have become addicted to Skyrim. As I still have the Minecraft addiction that I picked up over Christmas, my idle time is slightly more impaired than usual. I will still pop in to update the index as promptly as possible, but please do not be surprised if I barely contribute at all while the show is running.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh no you got Skyrim addiction, mine lasted a couple weeks when it was just released, my anime was incredibly slow dureing that time, might be why I have been so carefull in playing it in a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16