• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
War anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
@ anijunk
There's an anime of Anne Frank? Well, if it isn't any good, you can always try her real diary or other media.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised these two haven't been mentioned yet: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke. Well, probably because most people have already seen them. With that in mind I won't go on about either long, but both are set during times of war with strong, capable women in leading roles.

The other I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is Voices of a Distant Star. It's only a 30 min long OVA, but it is definitely worth checking out. It is set in the future, with humans at war with an alien race. Pressed for resources and manpower, a middle school girl (Mikako) becomes a mecha pilot for a reconnaissance mission and tries to keep in contact with her boyfriend on Earth.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Hetalia, but that might be to goofy and silly for you may I suggest an anime movie though? Grave of the fireflies is a war film and critics have even said it's one of the greatest war films out there.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
@ anijunk
There's an anime of Anne Frank? Well, if it isn't any good, you can always try her real diary or other media.

It's basically just a competently animated version of her diary by Madhouse. There's no "anime-isms" and the design is more reminiscent of the style World Masterpiece Theater series tend to receive. Depictions of the war are slim, as most of the story is what Anne experiences and observes through her journal.

This is the 1995 film I'm assuming, there's also the 1979 one but I haven't seen it.
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
their is always silent service , konpeki no kentai , and the very old anime called decision.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Vracer111 wrote:
I was going to say this as well - no mention of Flag in a discussion on war based anime has me wondering how many have seen it?

I've heard it was bad from several people who watched it, and they were specifically talking about it completely failing to deliver on the promise of 'realistic nuanced portrayal of an armed conflict'. And by bad, I mean, "don't watch it - they just can't write serious war stuff after all". Needless to say I was discouraged.

As far as grandiose, epic, and at the same time nuanced portrayals of war go, - and this would be the big picture, I'll support the LOGH recommendation. There is really nothing quite like it. But if the OP means something down-to-earth, on the front lines, like the Private Ryan or Enemy at the Gates in anime, then I'm afraid there isn't much. Unfortunately.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
if your primary purpose is to see saving private ryan style of war anime then the best series will be: FLAG; photojournalist view of a war

cat shit one: is a true to life special forces style raid on a opposition outpost.

other types of war styles include anime like strike witches, sky girls ...military based themes with surrealistic enemies.

or you could look up appleseed and ghost in the shell which have militaristic tactics and scenes from the past including battle scenes the characters remember.

there's also the semi realistic war settings for anime like sky crawlers or less realistic for anime like; last exile: Fam

there are anime that date much farther back that include a much more realistic view of wars as well as the many that include feudalistic japan during the samurai era again the list of possibilities would be long if you go that way.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I've heard it was bad from several people who watched it, and they were specifically talking about it completely failing to deliver on the promise of 'realistic nuanced portrayal of an armed conflict'. And by bad, I mean, "don't watch it - they just can't write serious war stuff after all". Needless to say I was discouraged.

Who are these people you speak of, I need to have a strict word with them.

FLAG was not a standout show but it was solid and also very, very realistic. Maybe too much for its own good; the plot and action got bogged down a lot with technical details and musings about politics. Of course, if you are like me then that sort of thing is what we Real Robot fans live for, but it doesn't make for viscerally thrilling drama.
james d

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Some may not like this suggestion but, what about Strike Witches. It has a lot of air combat and the story sort of mirrors the situation in Europe during WWII with mainland Europe being completely taken over with the exception that Germany and Japan are on the side of the Allies.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
james d wrote:
Some may not like this suggestion but, what about Strike Witches. It has a lot of air combat and the story sort of mirrors the situation in Europe during WWII with mainland Europe being completely taken over with the exception that Germany and Japan are on the side of the Allies.

So who are they fighting, the Italians??? Rolling Eyes

Girls und Panzer would be better, but neither one is what the OP was looking for. The old paper DC comics were the best in this regard and I believe the GI Joe American cartoons are the closest thing.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
james d wrote:

Girls und Panzer would be better, but neither one is what the OP was looking for. The old paper DC comics were the best in this regard and I believe the GI Joe American cartoons are the closest thing.

GuP is not a war anime; it's a sports anime, and a bizarre but still well-done show at that. I haven't seen Strike Witches, but from what I've heard, it fits the definition if a war anime better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Valkyria Chronicles should still be available subbed on Crackle.com
A faithfully translated game-anime for those thoroughly absorbed by the PS3 (I still can't get past the desert super-tank! Mad ); a nice quasi-fantasy mixing "alternate" WWII-Italy technology with fantasy-anime tropes and "war comes to the small villages" drama.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Valkyria Chronicles should still be available subbed on Crackle.com
A faithfully translated game-anime for those thoroughly absorbed by the PS3 (I still can't get past the desert super-tank! Mad ); a nice quasi-fantasy mixing "alternate" WWII-Italy technology with fantasy-anime tropes and "war comes to the small villages" drama.

I had heard that the anime was *not* a faithful translation of the game. In particular, the anime apparently set up a love triangle where none existed in the series, among other differences.
jarcool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
G.I. Joe, even though the beginning of G.I. Joe Sigma Six it appears to be all mech suits it really is not. mainly its man to man combat as the G.I. Joes take on cobra's army.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Necroposting aside, this is something I always wished to see more of. Culturally, I can understand why they don't do more of it. But I think Japan has enough military otaku that they could support a realistic modern war show without mecha or gun girls or magic powers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7