• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: I.G, Tatami Galaxy's Yuasa Raise Funds for Kick-Heart Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Like his uniqueness,his works can be easily pointed out on other anime,I like tatami galaxy,but I'm not sure about this wrestling BDSM love story anime.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
I was wondering how long it would be before anime studios started trying their hand with Kickstarter. This doesn't seem to be a studio's work, but I am nonetheless pleased to see it happen. I hope it gets funded so others are inspired to follow in Yuasa-san's footsteps.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
YES YES my money take it all.
ALL.

reanimator wrote:
It's about time for Japanese production studio to utilize Kickstarter to make original animation. Very Happy

Studio 4c tried to fund a music themed OVA, but that didn't work out. It was a shame.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Cool and all, but I'm not paying $60 for a 10 minute movie on BD, donation or not.

I see many are looking at this and thinking "these price tiers seem entirely too high for a mere 10-minute short," as the post above does. But that way of thinking is myopic. This isn't just some store preorder. This is a way to change how the game is played.

What I'm supporting is the idea that Japanese animation fans who yearn for more projects not dictated by the whims of a production committee are high enough in number and fervor that we can financially support this type of entertainment. My pledge is supporting the concept that "yes, this CAN work." That we're not just content with sitting at our keyboards, lamenting how our favorite creators can't get their projects released due to lack of commercial viability among Japanese otaku.

That is what this Kickstarter represents, by virtue of it being first. If it succeeds, that will demonstrate to the anime industry that there IS another way for smaller, more creator-focused animation to be produced. Mamoru Oshii is acting as a consultant this time around, but it's not hard to envision a scenario in which if THIS succeeds, people like Oshii will think "hmm...maybe there's something I could do which could be funded by Kickstarter, even in part." I'm not saying this can be a way to finance blockbusters--I don't know if we could Kickstart Ninja Scroll 2 or The Dreaming Machine--but what the success or failure of Kick-Heart will symbolize is certainly greater than the individual pledge tiers and goal markers explicitly state.

Let's make this happen, people!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
It seems like far too much. Your standard 24 minute anime episode costs about 120-150k on average. He should be happy with 75k for 10 minutes, but he's just getting greedy here.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
It's $15 for an SD download, and not much more for an HD download. To me, that's definitely a reasonable price and worth supporting, even if you want a physical copy, you could make your own if you were so inclined.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
I get what you're saying, Daryl, and I agree with the concept but I'm not on board with this particular title looking at the art and materials on their Kickstarter, it just looks uninteresting. At least not stand-alone. Seems like it'd have been a smarter idea to approach with another anthology like Sweat Punch and or Genius Party, but it also leads me to believe that the OVA as a format for creativity is gone, divided up between serial film runs and 12 episode TV anime, and no amount of donation drives will fix that.

If something comes up that tickles my fancy, I'll be more inclined to donate to that. I know on principle I should be helping to fund this one, but I just don't want to. Also, it seems like the Japanese producers will need to be in contact with western industry figures, otherwise there will be a complete lack of communication with western fans, Japan doesn't know how to market to us directly. I could see that being a hindrance.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Nephtis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
Went with the $250 donation. Totally worth it for more Masaaki Yuasa work, even if I imagine there will be no subtitles on the download and Bluray. The key art print alone is worth it.

There'll be subtitles, though only in English at this stage (I imagine that's not a problem for you though!).

Anime World Order wrote:
What I'm supporting is the idea that Japanese animation fans who yearn for more projects not dictated by the whims of a production committee are high enough in number and fervor that we can financially support this type of entertainment. My pledge is supporting the concept that "yes, this CAN work." That we're not just content with sitting at our keyboards, lamenting how our favorite creators can't get their projects released due to lack of commercial viability among Japanese otaku.

Exactly how I feel. Here's a chance to directly support the prospect of artistic creation of what we love without the need for certain tropes or gimics to be added so it can ship units. What's interesting is the first update - it seems to come as a surprise just how quickly money is showing up. There's a lot more support out there for this type of work than people apparently realise. That's a good thing.

Last edited by Nephtis on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
It seems like far too much. Your standard 24 minute anime episode costs about 120-150k on average. He should be happy with 75k for 10 minutes, but he's just getting greedy here.

150k for 10 minutes might be too much for TV animation with all of it's outsourcing and what not, but with IG handling every every aspect (including the shipping of the products) in-house it seems a bit more reasonable.
VinceA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
For animation that's not being supported by merchandise and not being outsourced, I think the price is definitely inline with the scope of the project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with what Daryl said. At first I was super excited, then I hesitated when hearing the time length, since that is kinda steep, and then thought about it more, and then pledged for the BD. I want to support more anime like this and less generic cookie cutter anime.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
While the basic idea is fantastic this will fail, I dont mean this specific project, but as a funding for anime projects, its not the time for this yet, WHY?

Because as long as fans are not fully respected I dont see why this can change any game at all.

Let me explain, this is merely a project that was not supported by the industry´s usual investors so this guy think its great to let fans contribute/donate their money...see how avoid the word investment, this guy in the video talks about investors but are they respected and treated as such? NO. So you say I am an investor ok:

This project wants your money but not make you a REAL investor, meaning, not sure if this project will go commercial release or not, seeing BLU-RAY physical copy probably yes, but notice a speak for the MODEL itself, anyway if it goes commercial -probably- (this or any other potential commercial porject that wants to try its luck with this) if it turns a profit you wont see any of it, you now like those hateful middlemen that invest their money in anime, but in this case if there is any it goes to the studio and people behind it.

This model is awesome indeed, but for commercial releases it should share you a part of the profit however big or small, or if it generate loses so be it as well, its an investment after all and there is always a risk.

Again this is a great model if taken seriously, it can make fans be part of the actual production, be real investors, imagine how many projects would be realized, but as long as the people are seen as mere donators, a cheap viable solution for lack of the usual greedy men investors, I dont see this becoming a real funding model.

Above this I also see probably with the middlemen losing more and more distribution power and basically their monopoly I dont see them happy that fans can have power themselves, this is the main motor above all, losing money with supposed "piracy"? BS, its about losing control and power first. SO I see studios deciding to keep their usual investors happy instead or producing a REAL CHANGE OF GAME as some dare speak in this forum.

So this is awesome model but no commercial or potential commercial project will see my money if I wont be taken in as a real investor, and be respected as such. Moreover the rewards are weak, or the price for them way too high.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
The purpose of Kickstarter has never been [and never will be] to get together a large group of small investors to share profits with. The complications for something like that would be incredibly enormous, with lots of fun tax and legal issues that would cause everyone avoid it like the plague.

This isn't about traditional investment with the possibility of a return, this is about fans having their voices heard directly by the creators and becoming INVESTED in the success of something they want to see become a reality.

So, no, don't go into this thinking you're going to get a check at the end of this, because that was never what this was about. Go into it thinking that you're going to be part of the reason that a cool-looking movie got made.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
My pledge is supporting the concept that "yes, this CAN work." That we're not just content with sitting at our keyboards, lamenting how our favorite creators can't get their projects released due to lack of commercial viability among Japanese otaku.

I agree with this entirely (altho, counterintuitively, I like a lot of otaku-aimed shows). To be honest, I hate everything about this proposed anime (the art, the story, not really a huge fan of that staff honestly) but I LOVE the concept, and would really like to see more creators try something. I'd love to see a new OVA boom, and if it's financed from online donations, then fair enough.

Re: two major points:
$150,000 tag: I WANT to believe it can be done cheaper, I'd like to find a project like this doable for $100k or less. But, you can't REALLY compare this to a tv series for the simple reason that many resources in a tv series are reusable. It's an issue I've tried to figure while mentally budgeting a show over and over. A tv show might be $150,000/episode over 26 episodes, but it might cost double that (or more) for only one episode, since BGs, character designs, music, etc are ALL reusable. It's the law of bulk pricing. One might be $50, while 50 are $100.
Kickstarter "investors": If you want to be an INVESTOR, then get business lawyers and arrange contracts. While I see your point and would love to be someone who could see returns depending upon given risk, this kickstarter has defined benefits. If the benefits fit what you want, then good, if not, then don't support it. I don't think it's fair to cast this as some kind of scheme to bilk fans for a profit engine. I see it as "this is what we need, this is what we CAN give". I think the biggest problem with "investors" is you either EXPECT a return (or else why invest) or you want the ability to give input on the project. Neither is a reasonable position if you're putting less than 1% into the project. (I'm sure if you went to them with $50,000, you could discuss options. They even have a $10,000 reward that includes discussion with the team and such.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
The purpose of Kickstarter has never been [and never will be] to get together a large group of small investors to share profits with. The complications for something like that would be incredibly enormous, with lots of fun tax and legal issues that would cause everyone avoid it like the plague.

This isn't about traditional investment with the possibility of a return, this is about fans having their voices heard directly by the creators and becoming INVESTED in the success of something they want to see become a reality.

So, no, don't go into this thinking you're going to get a check at the end of this, because that was never what this was about. Go into it thinking that you're going to be part of the reason that a cool-looking movie got made.

Read my comment again and watch the video again. I said I AM NOT specifically referring to this project (or how kickstarter works at all) but as a model to funding anime, if you watch the video you see him saying he WANTS YOU as INVESTOR, he say this can become a model to produce anime the "other" "real" investors dont want to risk their money with and that its an experiment for future reference.

So watch it and re-read my comment again to understand what I am saying.

For one or two projects its good, to become a real alternative or option to produce anime something similar to what I am saying needs to happen regardless of hassles, what you consider a shassle it may not be for others. And do you think it wont be worht the hassle to invest your money directly in something you love and the possibility to killing several birds with one stone worth it? In this times that anime needs lots of funding and jobs that are hard to come by what do you think is the more hassle? The studios are already familiar with the taxes and all problems you speak of not mentioning their investor will be real not hateful greedy investors only in for the profit in the smalles time possible and for you it would only require you to pay taxes in your country so whats the super hassle you speak of....?

I many "donate" to a project I love or want so bad to be realized, but this wont happen at all time with all projects or a series I dont like at all despite having potential. So while this may work occasionally it will fail a good deal of times too or most, specially those that require huge amounts of money like tv series or ovas or movies.

I think fan funding model can work wonders, for those failing to see what I coming to, you lack vision, like I said we fans would not be IN specifically for the profit like your usual greedy investors, as a model for commercial projects its only fair if you receive a return for you investing money OTHER DONT WANT TO, and dont come with the oh but you need to share xxx amount, BS, whats wrong if you contributed to 0.00000000009% what wrong with getting a couple cents worth that money, like I said you would not be in for the money but if its a success its only fair to all part to share the good times however small or big, moreover you would get you money back which you can then use to funding upcoming projects and so on.

I am also not wanting my voice be heard all times in the production chain, except for when I give my money to the series I want to see animated or when I support a studio thats doing things well, I am talking about a new model that works entirely different than nowadays, I dislike how investors drive everything nowadays and real creators are constricted to their damn greedy wishes, you know like how this project was born, from a guy that could not get investment the usual way or was heavily cripple to how investors wanted to run things, as they always do.

Some if you really lack vision, like the guy above saying to become a"real" investor then and do the usual shit they do, so what would be the point of it, I would be like all those greedy investor too, giving my money to something I dont care about and only I am in for the money, NOT, here what I see awesome is the the combination of fans becoming investors in what they/we love believing in the studio/project we decided ti back entirely without being a force that cripples it instead of supporting it.

How many times an anime does not get a second season or its cut short, or doe snot gets made at all, because it simply didn't (or wont) generate enough money for the investor?

With investment directly from fans, primarily they(we) would support the project because they want the product itself, they love it and want to see it done, so if the profit margin is not that big it may still be ok, or who knows, as long as the studio gets its work fees covered at least it maybe alright to barely brake even or sometimes maybe fall a bit short, all because of the love towards the product itself primarily, something that CANNOT BE DONE and its UNACCEPTABLE for current model with the usual investors, thats why I say if taking this model more seriously, it would do wonders, but unfortunately I also see "real investors" not being happy with this kind of alternative and sabotaging it even, and unfortunately I dont think this model can become the main funding power, it would be too unreliable, the greed of those in for the money only is too great still.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3